No announcement yet.

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news TC... You can write me down for one as well...
    $40 is more than reasonable for the adapter.
    Just let me know how, when and where you want payment...etc.
    Good work Bro'.
    Travel safe, CMA1
    '79 Special

Comment

I would have to stopping popping wheelies, but it sounds good to me. Later 'Dog

Comment

Canada?

Hi T.C., we would like 4 of them up here in iceburg land. Can u ship them here or should i find someone just across the boarder where we might pick them up ? The latter is my best bet i think. Ill be in touch thanks ....MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

TC
          I would like to get one of the adapaters. Where can I send the money? and how much?
          Thanks
          Turbodave:
          Running Against the Wind

Never forget our POWs/MIAs

Iron Butt Association #14500

Comment

I'd be interested in 2 of them.
            If you'd like, I can let the XStriples group know about these too.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey there folks,

Well, got word from the Machinist, they are done, will have the $ to pick them up on Friday, and will afix one to my bike replacing my first prototype, and will take lots of pictures, and tell him how popular this thing may be.

Pat, I didn't even think about the Triples(and I used to own one!), haven't inspected one to see if the filter case is the same size!? If it is, then it will probably fit and work for them as well!! Let me pick this first batch of 8 up, and give this final design a good road testing..... let's see, a rally from Va. to Ga., all around the mountains, and then back home should do it!!!!!!

And provided the Machinist doesn't determine that there was more work in it than expected and doesn't require any more of an increase for production, and that there is an apparent strong demand for this product, and then get the extra venture capital ($) for acquiring more plate stock, threaded rod, and such to produce these things, then I'll make a formal announcement as to the full availability of them.

There is suprisingly more machining than you would think required for such a simple product, Predrilling and tapping and placing holding bolts into each piece before cutting the basic shape out of the plate, smooth milling the mating surface to ensure a good seal, milling the recess chamber, milling the central mounting hole, then tapping the threads into it, then cutting the 2" mounting threaded rod, machining a hole thru it to make it a pipe, grinding the edges to smooth the threads,

I'll be bringing the other 7 with me to T.W.O., and will be giving those in attendance first dibs on getting them in person(cuts down on shipping costs), and they will also then be able to post reports on their satisfaction with the adapters as well!

Thanks for all your patience, interest, and good wishes, since this thing will hopefully benefit all of us as well !
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Definately put me down for one and let me know when and where to send the money. Don't mind paying in advance if that helps you with cash flow.
                Kurt Grife
                Avila Beach, Ca

Comment

Hello All,
                  Perhaps using a mounting plate for an Oil Cooler, hooked up to a remote spin on filter. The filter could be mounted up high (near the horns?) for more road clearance and better cooling! Then all that needs made is a cover for the bottom side of the oil cooler adaptor. Anyone want to run with this idea? Feedback is always good!
                  Bill Woods
                  1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                  1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                  2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Originally posted by Bill__Woods
                    Hello All,
                    Perhaps using a mounting plate for an Oil Cooler, hooked up to a remote spin on filter. The filter could be mounted up high (near the horns?) for more road clearance and better cooling! Then all that needs made is a cover for the bottom side of the oil cooler adaptor. Anyone want to run with this idea? Feedback is always good!
                    That is what I would like to do.I have a oil cooler already and if the spin on filter would mount high,would take care of a bunch of problems all at one time.I live on a gravel road,never had any problems but there is always the first time.Could,`t hooking filter plate on either line next to oil cooler work?Might give some leeway.The trick would be what to do with stock filter cover?Use it or replace it, which would be best? A lot of questions. Food for thought. Any more input?
                    Bill Harvell

Comment

Spin On Oil Filter Poll

Got to talking to someone who has done this type of thing on a Honda and he had a few good points.

1-Be carefull when using automobile filters, the by-pass valves on them are set to a much lower setting than most motorcycles run at. Therefore, you may be running in by-pass mode all the time. it is best to use a spin on motorcycle filter in these types of applications. They are, however, a few dollars more.

2-What about 2 versions? Many do not care about oil cooling and therefore the stand off can be much smaller.???

Stan Heeres

Comment

First Batch of Adapters Done!

Hey there folks,

Well, we got the first batch of adapters done. I've taken my old prototype off and prepped and mounted the new one, but letting the silicone "gasket" material setup for the required 24hours, and also the RED locktite. I'm using the 'replace gasket' type of high temp copper silicone gasket maker/sealer. I'm also using the RED locktite...designed for studs and such to help it really NOT want to loosen from engine vibration and temperature and oil!! The filter being screwed onto the pipe will provide further tension against the adapter plate and hopefully keep it from wanting to work loose/back out, but I'm pretty sure it won't!! Then I'll put the filter on, and fill it up and fire it up. I'm including several photos showing this newer design mounted with and without the oil cooler plate, to show how much room there still is below the filter....above my header pipes, but mine are 4-1 and overlap/stack on top of each other, others stock ones may be only 1 pipe thick, but you can see it will only stick out 1" below the stock case, and 2" below if you have the cooler.

Regrettably I don't have the facilities to ANODIZE the adapter plate, and some folks mentioned concerns about pitting and corrosion from road salts and such for those living up north!! I put the mounting pipe into the plate, lightly screwed on the filter, and then sprayed it with clearcoat on the outside surfaces. This is all I can suggest at this time. The mounted filter should protect the sealing area so there shouldn't be any problems with that.

The outer finish on this plate is a bit smoother than what they will be, this one got dinged on the outside by the CNC, and so he welded it, and then turned it in the lathe a little bit. The standard ones will have a slightly grooved textured finish due to the result of the coarse milling bit....again, to keep the costs to a minimum!

Okay, will bring them to the Ga. Rally next weekend!!
                        T.C.

Adapter Plate/mounting pipe/Acetone and Red Locktite

Poor quality pix....silicone gasket bead and Red Locktite on pipe.

Screwed on only handtight....don't use new fangled band gripper wrench....can strip threads!!!

Adapter plate with Oil Cooler and filter

Adapter and filter only....NOTE easy access to oil drain plug!!!
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Great work TC!!!
                          Let us know (me anyway, lol) when you are ready to take mail order. I definitely want an adapter!
                          Looks great.... nice job and much appreciated!
                          Ride safe, CMA1
                          '79 Special

Comment

Looks good, I'd like at least one. Maybe two onc3e I see how it clears the 4 into 1.
                            Walt
                            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                            79 XS11s
                            03 Valkyrie
                            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

What I`am thinking about is this,do away with oil cooler and mount a remote spin on oil filter in its place.The oil lines are already in place.Question is what to do with old filter cover{stock}?Take old oil filter off and put the cover back on,would that work?Any ideas? I`am in the dark on this,sounds good but will it work?
                              Bill Harvell

Comment

Remote Filter

Hey there Bill,

Well, the oil cooler adapter routes the oil out from it to the cooler fins, then back to the adapter where it then flows down into the oil filter chamber, thru the filter, then up thru the middle bolt back into the engine. So...yes, you could remove the filter and let it flow directly thru the chamber back into the engine. But during oil changes, you'll have about 1/2 quart of old oil that you won't get drained from there unless you take it off!

And, you'll need to make/design/mount a separate plate in line with the cooling lines for the spin-on oil filter.....much more work than I was ready to handle when designing this thing. Plus also concerns about having the oil flow thru even 'more' line than just the cooler line before it gets to the engine, and it needs to be able to have a certain amount of pressure to properly lubricate. Plus, more line puts even more resistance against the oil making the pump work even harder, or create unwanted drops in oil pressure as it runs thru all of that extra line before eventually getting back into the engine! Just some thoughts!!
                                T.C.
                                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                                X