Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spin On Oil Filter

I think that would be a great idea.I own a 78 with a oil cooler so what all would I have to do to come up with a remote filer mount.Would need to mount high [live on gravel road] and be easy to get to.I would not mind useing a larger filter anyway.
    Bill Harvell

Comment

YEAH!!!

that looks great!

when you get everything ready count me in for sure.

GOOD WORK!

Comment

When I first saw this thread, I thought to myself, it'd be nice to have one but the stock filter isn't that bad...then I was reminded how much it sucks when changing my oil this past weekend...

Count me in.
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Spin on Filter

Hi TC,
          I would use a spin on for sure providing it is a common can find anywhere filter.
          What about the people with oil coolers???
          Tinman
          --------
          XSTin
          80SG

Comment

I would really like a spin on adapter for my 80 1100G
            Turbodave:
            Running Against the Wind

Never forget our POWs/MIAs

Iron Butt Association #14500

Comment

Ongoing Research!!

Hey there TurboDave, and Tinman, and others,

Another one of my goals was to make this adapter be able to fit a variety of filters, depending on your pipe clearances and ground clearances, and local availability. The thread on size is M20x1.5, which fits "MANY" imports and domestic vehicles, auto and bike. Walmart carries the Honda GL1500(very common bike) filter, it's the FRAM PH6017A, and to answer concerns about the bypass relief valve that is built into the OEM filter bolt...see below correspondence I received from FRAM:
              Mr. "TopCatGr":

Thank you for the e-mail regarding the by-pass valve requirement of the PH6017A oil filter and an "exploded view" of
              this filter. We welcome the opportunity to be of service.

The PH6017A contains an internal pressure relief by-pass valve. This valve is visible at the bottom of the filter
              center tube.

Fram does not offer any exploded views or similar type diagrams of its filter products.

Thank you for choosing Fram filters.

Cordially,

Scott Jacobs
              Catalog/Technical Service Representative
              Catalog/Technical Service Department
              Aside from this filter, the PH7317, the PH6607, PH7317, PH3595,
              PH3590, and several others will all fit this planned adapter!!!!

I have access to a bike with the oil cooler attached, and am working on "trying" to ensure that it will work with them as well. I have not taken a cooler adapter off yet, so I don't know exactly how it attaches to the engine with the OEM filter case. Did they provide an extra long filter bolt to hold the cooler adapter along with the filter case? Or does the cooler screw into the engine fitting that the filter bolt was to fit into, and then the cooler in turn provides the threaded hole for the OEM filter bolt??

Still working on getting some higher grade 6061 1" plate aluminum to create some more prototypes with the newer design that is in progress. I had hoped to have some to bring with me to the TWO rally, but not sure if I'll get them done in time, that stock plate is kinda expensive in the size of sheet needed to work with, to create a layout for the CNC machine to cut a batch of them from, etc.. I'm going to get this thing done eventually!!! Thanks for your continued interest and patience.

I test rode my first prototype adapter last week, performed flawlessly, no drips, runs, errors, and the oil pressure light went out and never flickered back on until I turned the bike off!!!!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The last time I did a oil and filter change,the oil lines going to oil cooler were not in the way.Mounted in engine above where oil filter cover is,so I don`t think changing to a spin on filter would be a problem.My bike 78 XS11E with oil cooler[I think by Lockhart].Finish making sure everything will work right and count me as being interested in a oil filter adaptor. Keep up the good work.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

TopCat:

I would not have those cut from plate. That is going to cost you WAY more that you need. Check into buying it in bar stock instead. Then it could be sawed, turned on a CNC lathe and then have the hole pattern put into it on a mill. I know that sounds like more work, but it is really a reduction in work for the machinist involved. If you are looking to have a shop make these, keep in mind that you are probably going to want to have a quantity made right out of the chute. The more you make, the cheaper they are going to be per unit. If it takes an hour to set up the lathe and prove the program, and an hour to set up the mill and prove the program, (at $60 an hour), then you can see what I'm talking about. Setting up a machine to run five pieces takes just as long as setting up a machine to run 100 pieces.

(This is what I do for a living.)
                  '80 XS 1100SG

Comment

Hey there RacerX,

Thanks for the input, but here's what we've found: If what you are describing as bar stock=cylinder/rod, it comes in 5" and 6" diameters, but not 5.25" which is the max diam size that would still fit, so the 6" would have to be turned down to the required 5.13"diam after cutting it to the required 1" thickness. Then since the mating surface would need to be smooth, both surfaces would need to be turned, adding more manipulating in and out of the machining lathe, not to mention the milling the inner area out for the required recesses and central hole for the mounting hub that sticks out from the engine.

My friend/machinist/Xsive that is helping with this project only gets $40.00 an hour, and has stated that he will charge even less for this project, and once we can get it worked out on the CNC machine, it can run in the background while he's doing his other real machining work, again cutting costs for him and eventually for us all.

The latest prototype design from smooth plate will be cut on only 1 side, to create the required recess, the central hole, and then the outer diameter. Then I'll be doing the oil supply hole drilling with a drill press, and hand tapping the mounting threads. It looks like we won't be making an O-ring groove, instead we'll probably incorporate a flat gasket, with #2 sealer on both sides, letting it setup on the adapter first, then mount it to the engine, again letting it setup, then applying the oil filter will provide extra pressure/security against the adapter to help keep the oil seal. HOWEVER, this is still in developing and testing stage, and if the gasket doesn't work, we can then add the O-ring groove!! The plate is around $50.00 for a 12"x24" sheet/section, and we can get 8 adapters from that size!!!!! So that's not so bad at ~$6.25ea for just the cost of the stock!! Finances are a little tight this week, so it will be another week or so before we can get the stock and try to make some more!! Will keep plugging!!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

I want one!!!
                      79 XS1100SF

Comment

I want two!
                        Walt
                        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                        79 XS11s
                        03 Valkyrie
                        80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                        78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                        81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

A brief Update.

Hey there folks,

I know it's been several weeks, but the Hurricane kinda slowed things down a bit, not to mention financial circumstances, ordering the 1" Plate, getting the M20x1.5 tap, and getting the design finalized, then getting it to my machinist friend, programming it into the CNC, and also paying him for it. We will be making 8 adapters from this plate to start with. Then I'll be putting it on my bike and severely road testing it with my trip to the T.W.O. Rally.....provided he gets them done by next weekend!

I was able to check out an oil cooler adapter to see how it mounted, the one he had used a special mounting bolt that had a combo nut head that was tapped to accept the OEM oil filter bolt and case assembly. So....there should be no reason why this spin-on adapter shouldn't work with that, it's just like attaching it to the engine...just an inch lower since the cooler plate is there! And this new design is only 1" thick! I hope to have them done so that I can bring them with me to the Rally. I'll post some pictures and such as soon as they're done. Will also post the Final Unit $, but looks like around $40.00 so far, a bit more than the $25.00 I first thought, but machining and parts costs were a bit more than expected!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

I'd definately still pick one up for $40 - just changed my oil this past weekend and reeally, truly hate the stock setup.
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Aye, you can mark me down at the $40 price for one.
                              79 XS1100SF

Comment

I just changed the oil on my 78e yesterday and i dont know if it is a stock oil cooler or not , But, It has one big bolt in the center that screws into the case and the oil filter bolt screws into it.

BTW TopCat... if you happen to have any 2x2x1 pieces of scrap plate left.. I could really use 4 or 6 pieces of it... I have a little petcock mod of my own in mind that I would like to try, but i cannot find any small pieces to work with.
                                TIA
                                Shawn
                                78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                                78 XS1100E Parts
                                www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
                                X