Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
    Okay folks, if the cost of this adapter can be made for around $25.00, how many people would be interested in getting/using one vs. their OEM??

T.C.
    Are they still available? if so how much?

Comment

• No Startrek jokes!

Hey Scotty,

I'm very close to getting these thing back into full production, been tooling up with acquisition of new 3-n-1 mill/drill/lathe machine so that I can do ALL OF THE MACHINING MYSELF, just waiting for a few end mill holders, and then I should be able to start "turning" these things out again, and I'm hoping to be able to offer them for a reduced price of about $30.00 ea vs. the original $55.00 I had needed due to having to pay my previous machinist $25.00 ea for his part of the work!!

I'll post a message in this thread once they are back online! Thanks for your interest and patience!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Just so everyone that's watching this thread knows, my adapter is still working great and I'll be changing my oil this weekend. Perhaps I'll take pictures to make all the oem filter users jealous
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• wow snow's alive!

TopCat I'm interested in one!

Dan
          Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• pretty neat and all, but....

considering the OEM filters are available at Kragen Auto parts for about $2.50 and the filter on the adapter is far from beautiful (sorry TC) - I think I'm sticking with the original, maybe I'll even chrome plate the cap.
            Kristoffer
            "Take apart yer carbs!"
            1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
            1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

• Yep the one on my Venture is still on and working fine. Stored all winter and nary a drop showing.
              Marty in NW PA
              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
              This IS my happy face.

Comment

• Re: pretty neat and all, but....

Originally posted by knewsom
                considering the OEM filters are available at Kragen Auto parts for about $2.50 and the filter on the adapter is far from beautiful (sorry TC) - I think I'm sticking with the original, maybe I'll even chrome plate the cap.
                Hey Knewsom,

Don't you know BLACK is BEAUTIFUL!! That filter is available in CHROME from JCW. But hey, I'm not trying to push these things, I just started making them to provide an easier way to change the oil/filter. The OEM bolt is rather small and a PITA to deal with, rounds off often, etc.!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

• round and round she ges

This is true - my bolt is pretty rounded already - I had to use vicegrips to get my filter off!

....hmmm, if the filter was in chrome, it'd actually look pretty spiffy I think....

That's a damn good point, TC, especially when you consider that replacement bolts for the filter cap are hard to come by. I think when mine finally wears out (I haven't yet ground a slot for a screwdriver in it), I may have to contact you for one of those adapters!

...hmmm, I wonder if it'd be possible to recess the adapter INSIDE the original cover, cutting out a hole in the bottom of the original cap big enough for the new filter to poke out at the bottom. that way the lines on the engine continue down and around, until you see the shiny chrome head of the filter poking out at the bottom. probably not, due to diameter issues, though.
                  Kristoffer
                  "Take apart yer carbs!"
                  1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                  1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

• Kris,

Those oil filter bolts are easy to come by, PNM, JCW, several sources! The SOFA is the same width as the OEM filter chamber, so the chamber won't fit OVER/around the SOFA! And the way the filter fits up against the SOFA, it can't help hold the OEM chamber on.

Guess you could glue it onto the SOFA. But folks think that they may get a little more cooling affect from having it stick out instead of being shrouded inside a cutout OEM chamber!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Re: No Startrek jokes!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                      Hey Scotty,

I'm very close to getting these thing back into full production, been tooling up with acquisition of new 3-n-1 mill/drill/lathe machine so that I can do ALL OF THE MACHINING MYSELF, just waiting for a few end mill holders, and then I should be able to start "turning" these things out again, and I'm hoping to be able to offer them for a reduced price of about $30.00 ea vs. the original $55.00 I had needed due to having to pay my previous machinist $25.00 ea for his part of the work!!

I'll post a message in this thread once they are back online! Thanks for your interest and patience!
                      T.C.

Thanx I'll be waiting the OEM filter can was leaking do to to many years of over tightening. Welded it and refaced it hopefully it will not leak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snow
                        Just so everyone that's watching this thread knows, my adapter is still working great and I'll be changing my oil this weekend. Perhaps I'll take pictures to make all the oem filter users jealous

Thanx that is encourageing

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyA
                          Yep the one on my Venture is still on and working fine. Stored all winter and nary a drop showing.

Thanx

Comment

• simplicity is the best design

Hey T.C. I am interested in having one, And what type of alloy is it?....chop
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock
                            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• one more thing

Hey T.C. I was trying to read thru the posts to find out if your adaptor will fit the lockhart adapter/cooler. I want to put this on the blue streak and want to high polish the adapter, Very good design....thanks
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock
                              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• When are these bad bays going to be available The the general public? (ME) $$$
                                Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
                                1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

Working...
                                X