Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mod to old design!

Hey Skids,

Glad to hear yours is still leak free!! Much to my dismay, mine that was put on 3 years ago finally developed a leak while at the Suches, Ga. VJMC Rally! Thankfully I had a few extra quarts, and just watched it during the run, and topped it off each day!

I had not added an O-ring groove before, but after Cody's(Maximan's) recent leak problems, and then mine, and his subsequent fix....took it to a machinist and had an O-ring groove cut into it=solved his problem. Then after an in person discussion with a real 20+ yr experienced machinist(Bruce Gerkin) who also suggested that I try to make the design as close to the OEM cover as possible=O-ring goove, I succumbed to this logic and finally started putting one on the last 2 that I have recently made and sold!

The original machinist that I had worked with in coming up with this first design had told me that the O-ring groove wasn't really needed, and at the time, to keep production and therefore final selling price to a minimum is why "we" had not incorporated the groove. BUT, now that I'm making them completely by myself, it's not a problem to add the groove during one of my facing steps for the mating surface!

The SOFA still will require sealant to be applied to the mating surface WITH the O-ring, the O-ring will just provide a better compression sealing edge, but the sealant is still needed to keep the plate in position and prevent it from spinning loose.

Bruce, I'll send you a PM!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• filter adapter

how do i go about getting one of these? send you a check or what?

Comment

• Hey T.C.
        I am interested in one as well.
        JimBoReeno
        My Ex!"Half-Breed"
        '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
        '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
        2000 Indian Chief
        Millennium Edition

Comment

• T.C. will you put an o-ring groove in mine SOFA if I send it back? I was only able to run a short before it developed its leak.
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

• A behind the scenes look!

Hey Folks,

It turned out that my SOFA wasn't leaking afterall, it seems to have been that oil galley plug under the ALT cover!

I know how we all love seeing photos, so I thought I'd post some I took of me processing the SOFA's!
            This first one is mounting the raw stock, 5.25" diameter 1.38" thick plate into the 4 jaw lathe chuck, centering it with the micrometer.

Next using the tail stock/drill holder I put a 1/2" hole in the center.

Next I've mounted the Rotary Table to the cross slide and tail stock, and then center it with the mill head using the dead centers.

Next I mount the work piece in the rotary table using my digital caliper to center it, clamp down 3 corners, leaving one loose, because the stock sits taller than the bottom edge of my 5/8" rough milling bit, I have to mill away about 0.20" from the top to clear the mill bit across the piece, and also allows me to better position the clamps!

Here I'm making the last pass of removing the bulk material from the surface. It takes 5 passes around, 90 cranks of the rotary handle for a complete 360 degree pass!

Here I'm finishing the last of the 8 passes to complete the 0.25" depth outer recess in the plate.

I'm finishing the last of the total 8 passes to mill out the additional 0.50" depth inner recess area.

Continued next reply, otherwise too many photos for single reply!
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Behind the scenes part 2.

Next, I change milling bits to my 1/8" bit, and position it to make the preliminary oil supply holes using the rotary table to perfectly space them 60 degrees apart(thanks XS Willy!)

Then I change bits to my 1/2" finishing bit, and put a smooth finish on the flat surfaces of the recesses, as well as the inner walls.

That completes the milling process for 1 plate. I repeat this for several other plates in the batch. Then I remove the rotary table, remount the tool post holder, and remount the lathe chuck and the work piece, again centering it with the micrometer, and then I put a facing on the outer mating edge/surface!

Then I change tools, angle of tool putting the cutoff bit that I use to make the O-ring groove, and cut the groove!

Then I reverse the lathe jaws and mount the piece again centering with micrometer, mount the boring bit and then bore out the center hole to about 0.70" in preparation for tapping the mounting 20mm x 1.5mm threads.

Next, reposition tool holder, put on a finishing bit, and put a finish/face on the bottom side of the plate.

Then, position another tool, and put a finish on the outer edge of the plate.

Then I reposition the tool holder to lock the lathe chuck, mount the dead center in the tail stock, and use it to position and hold the tapping bit as I manually cut the threads in the center of the plate.

And then finally I remove the plate, put it on my drill press, and first enlarge the 1/8" holes to 1/4", and then I use a 7/16" bit to countersink the openings. That's it for the plate.

I had already made a batch of the mounting pipes and didn't take any photos of them, just cutting 2" sections out of the 36" long threaded rod, and then mounting it into a special holder in the drillpress, and then I drill 3 consecutive holes thru the entire 2" length, starting with a 3/32", then 5/16", and then 1/2". Then I finish them with my grinding pad to smooth out the ends, put the rounded portion on the ends.

So...I think they are worth the $35.00, don't you?!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Filter Adapter Manufacture

Congrats TC. I hope you are having fun doing this because that sure is a big effort and outlay on equipment for $35.00.
                Keep up the good work.
                Ratbyk

Comment

• wow dude, you are a very intense man...
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

• I recommend this mod to anyone! Period!

Since TC has added the O-ring seal the SOFA is a great mod. It makes oil changes soooooo much easier and cleaner. Especially with a 4-1 header like mine. Before I had to drop the exhaust just to change the oil. But now the small V-Max filter simply spins off and drop between the headers.

Comment

• Nice Job TC

But do you just like to use the milling table? Looks like all turning except the .250 holes.
                      XS1100SF
                      XS1100F

Comment

• Hey Ken/Ratbyk,

Thanks, but yeah, I do it for the betterment of the members. It averages about 2 hours per plate. I know that would be very $$ if I were to ask machinists rates, but since I'm not a "REAL" machinist, my time is a bit cheaper!

In the last few years, I've been able to learn how to do several of the fun things I always wanted to do years before, but never had the $$ or time to, ie. welding, and now this metal machine work, so I do have fun, and take pride in doing a good job, and also the satisfaction of making a product that does allow us to perform a job of drudgery a little easier!

Dan, yes, I theoretically could do it all by turning, but it would take forever since I have to remove so much material from the inside of the plate, so that's why I prefer to use the MILL, it allows me to debulk it much faster than turning alone! I had just a plain Mill Vise, but then realized that I needed the Rotary table, it's made a world of difference in production!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Hey TC!
                          Just got mine in the mail. LOOKS GREAT and the instructions look easy as well. Can't wait to try it out and will let you know how it works.

Thanks Again for your talent and trouble!
                          JimBoReeno
                          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                          2000 Indian Chief
                          Millennium Edition

Comment

• Installation Modification!

Hey Jim,

Glad you got it! I will be making a slight change to the Install Instructions, but want to post this addendum here!

I had first stated to NOT use a Strap Wrench to fit the original no O-ring design, cause it didn't require much tension to get the sealant to mate with the case. However, now with the addition of the O-ring, it sticks out from the surface of the plate, and is rather stiff! When I recently reapplied my modified O-ring plate using Yamabond, I realized that I couldn't snug the plate up to the engine case unless I used the Strap Wrench.

SO...you will need to use one to snug up the plate enough to compress the O-ring and get the plate's mating surface flush with the engine case, but that's it! I'll be refilling mine with oil soon, and will let you know how it and my mysterious leak location's O-ring are holding!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

• first post here, i read the whole thread now, since i'am a amature machinist and just made one of these for my xj750 maybe i could ask some questions
                              buna-n or viton o-rings ?
                              and why not use grease on the o-ring like it says to use on the oil filter seal ?
                              it seams like it would get stuck on the yamabond and not let the o-ring squish down
                              i used the big nut because they were a lot cheaper than that big tap
                              XJ750j
                              KZ550a
                              chrome don't get ya home

Comment

• spin

awesome dude you are king where do i send money to. and what oil filter do you
                                use.
                                as ever bill
                                bill hane

Comment

Working...
                                X