No announcement yet.

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just pull it and replace it with RTV. Make sure you get one that can handle oil. I got some copper stuff myself. The trick is to make sure that hole is completely clean and to let the RTV cure for at least a few days before cranking her up. My RTV plug actually covers the front of the rounded part so that it gets a better hold and can't just fall into the motor.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• Okay,
      Thanks, I just didnt wanna do something I would regret later, just getting to know my bike and don't wanna piss 'er off.
      Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

• The cam chain tensioner plug is still available at Yamarob. About $6.50 with Tax. I just bought one last week. It looks like a freeze plug.

Mine fell out years ago and I just filled with RTV with no plug. No more leak.
        There's always a way, figure it out.
        78XS11E

Comment

• T.C. if the adapter is still avilable i would like to get one.doing the standard oil change sucks way bad. please e-mail or pm with the info i need thank you in advance.
          lifes to short, so ride the wind

Comment

• Cam tensioner Plug

Hey Pathfinder,
            How do I get to Yamarob? Is it a web site or a member?
            Thanks
            Barry
            Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

• adapter design

Besides ease of changing it, I would be interested mainly because you could choose between multiple makes of filters that have good reputations for actually doing their job well. I think the technology of the automotive filters way surpasses those simple paper things most of us hope are doing at least some filtering on our XS's. I would design it to accept as large (wide) of filter as practical to fit between the header pipes. Or, accept a common smaller filter such as PH3614. Then, you might have room to put one of those aluminum cooling sleeves around it. This is a finned thing that is held around the filter using a hose clamp. It would not only help it radiate heat, but definitely protect it as well. Having the wider filter may help with cooling as well as flow-through. I don't know which I'd rather have more.
              Helmets save lives. Loud pipes hurt my ears.

Comment

• Back in production.

Hey folks,

Due to recent requests, I'm putting the adapters back into production, will be making a new batch of 8, have just ordered the stock material, should get it next week, then to my machinist for the first part, so I'll be able to get them ready in the next few weeks. Here are a few more testimonials from a few other folks that have had successful installs(with their permission to post):
                From JabbaThaHut:
                Jabba the Hut
                Just figured I'd give you an update. I installed the adapter last Thursday and let it cure 'till Friday when I filled it with oil and took it for a test ride. After the successful maiden voyage of about 70 miles, I was confident enough to take it on a trip I had planned, so I rode my bike to southern New Jersey on Saturday. I ran 460 miles round trip that day and don't have any leaking or seepage at all! I'd have to say the conversion has been a complete success. Excellent job with the product and instructions. I used brake cleaner and Xylene to clean the surfaces rather than Acetone (because I don't have any lying around) and used the Permatex Ultra Copper.
                From Rover:
                Hi, TC, sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I did get the S.O.F.A. installed, and NO LEAKS. The only thing I did extra was to cut off about 1 inch from the threaded pipe, there was over 2 inches hanging out of the adapter when it was in place. This thing is GREAT!!!!!! I haven't gotten around to repairing the transmission on the SF. I guess I will save that for a winter project. Too busy riding the F now. Then I will put one of these on that bike also. I will check with you when I am ready. My undying gratitude for the drawings in case more adapters are not available when I need the next one. Thanx again, Jerry
                So....if you're interested in getting one, please see my tech tip and respond accordingly, thankyou!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• TopCatGr58, I sent you a pm regarding the spin on filter adapter. I would like one. Thanks
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

• Hey T.C. I'd also like to get one of the oil adapters for my 79SP.
                    Do'Lee
                    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

• I'm interested in one T.C.

Your adapter sounds like a hit, and it would be much easier and cleaner to change my oil (I also have 4 into 1 pipes), keep up the good work.
                      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

• Oh one question.

I can't remember but I think I put the spring under the filter (stock type) but I'm not sure if this is right, can anyone tell me whether the spring goes above or below the filter? (My reasoning said under the filter next to the housing, but thats just me.)Thanks in advance.
                        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

• The spring goes in the cup first, then the washer, and the filter goes in last.

Comment

• Re: I'm interested in one T.C.

Originally posted by xj11john
                            Your adapter sounds like a hit, and it would be much easier and cleaner to change my oil (I also have 4 into 1 pipes), keep up the good work.
                            Hey there XJ11John,

Well, it just so happens that I just picked up the remaining 4 plates that my machinist processed for me, so I have a total of 6 available right now. 1 is possibly pending Do Lee once he determines if he has enough room between his crossing header pipes. So I'm just making this announcement, cause in a little while I'll be learning about how to put them up on Ebay! I need to sell a few to get my $$ back and build up my Paypal account so I can get a few needed Machining tools so I can continue to make these things....but I'll be doing it all myself!!!!

See my Tech tip/advert. in the Mods, Engine section for ordering info!!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Well, I finally installed the Spin-on filter on the 80SG. Took me long enough to get around to it, but it is on and working great. As with the 79F, I did not rush the job. Took two days for the draining and cleaning and two days for the curing of the silicone. Most likely a little too picky but the method has worked flawlessly for me on both bikes.

Thanks T.C.

Ralph
                              Ralph Meeks
                              79F
                              80SG

Comment

• HI Ralph

Anybody that has seen your bike would under stand why you might be a littel pickey

XSevly
                                Bruce
                                Bruce Gerken
                                '79 XS1100SF
                                "The Black"
                                '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                                The Red Sled.
                                St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Working...
                                X