No announcement yet.

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi TC, maybe it was discussed in this thread somewhere but I didn't see it........I have the Lockhart aluminum cooler plate on my 80 XS, would that be compatible with the spin on? If so, whatever it costs, I'm in! Of course my other concern is my Basani 4 into 1, it's one of the road racing ones that must be removed to change the oil, it would still beat the stock filter system though. One more thing, is your big bore motor described anywhere in the forum? I too have a monster motor and would love to compare notes. Doyle
    Doyle

Comment

• Doyle, I too have a 1179cc big bore kit in my bike, and I just finished it a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to compare notes with you. I cronicled my rebuild in a post in the members lounge called "And the Journey Begins" ,and "IT"S ALIVE!!!" I also posted some pics of it in a post titled "PICS!!!". Its in the lounge also.

Comment

• Hey there Doyle,

The OEM chamber is ~2.75 in deep, the adapter plate is ~1in deep, the PH6017A filter is ~3in tall, so if you have about or slightly over 1" of clearance between the top edge of your pipes and the bottom of your OEM filter chamber, then it will fit! IT would go on under/below your cooler adapter. Engine/cooler/adapter/filter in that order! The thickness of the adapter is to allow clearance for the protrusions(case bolts and center mounting hole) that stick out from the engine beyond the level of the mating surface of the OEM chamber, and to allow enough material in the center(~.33in) for it to have enough threads to hold onto the center threaded pipe!!

For folks who have an oil cooler, a simpler flat plate design would probably work since the cooler adapter is performing the mating adjustment for the protrusions mentioned above, most are flat where the OEM filter chamber attaches, and would only need to be about .33in thick instead of the 1" chamber!! I'll have to check with my machinist friend/business partner about the possibility of making some like that, would just need to be threaded in the center with the supply holes and the mounting pipe!!

I wouldn't call mine a MONSTER motor, I just had to do it due to neglect and rust. And I haven't had a chance to put it on a DYNO or take it to the track to see how stacks up to the STOCK stats, I just know that it runs well for my needs. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it more!
        T.C.
        PS: Have had several reports of successful(NON-LEAKING) installs of the adapter from Ralph Meeks, MartyA, Larry(CMA1), which has re-kindled my drive to get these things back into production, just have to work out the threaded pipe process a little bit more. The first batch was from this very hard alloy steel threaded rod that was extremely difficult to bore/machine a hole thru, and recent attempts with household pipe was too weak/galled during the die/cutting the threads process and didn't appear to have the wall thickness or tensile strength we wanted, so we're still trying to find the right type of pipe that we can make into threaded pipe for this application!! I request your patience, it will get done!!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Hey TC, first, thank you for all your insights on all the subjects, everywhere I look you have something meaningful to contribute. When you start popping those plates out, put me on the list, I'll make it fit. Doyle
          Doyle

Comment

• Absolutely, get one! I just put 1,000 miles on it this weekend, some it hard twisties trying to keep up with Mike Cummings, some of it on the 4-lane at granger speed... That should total about 2,000 miles since I installed it, and one oil / filter change in there.
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

• Hello TC and everyone else,
              It would seem a oring groove would be the way to go for better sealing. Machine a groove in it for the factory oring that comes with the oil filter.
              As far a sealant goes, I can and will recommend "The Right Stuff" as it is much better than any RTV (black or red - Never Blue). The Right Stuff is avalible at any auto parts store, I believe it is made by permatex.

So, TC, are you taking orders yet?
              Bill Woods
              1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
              1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
              2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

• Would the adapter fit on an XS850 with cooler plate already? If so, count me in...
                Carpe Diem!
                1980 XS850G
                1973 CT70

Comment

• Update!

Hey there Doyle,

Thanks for the kind words, I just try to help where I can. Bill, if you read the earlier posts in this now massive thread, you'll see where I discussed this option, vs. not, and how it and anything else added to the manufacturing process also adds to the overall costs$$. I am not the machinist making these things, and so I/We came up with a design that was feasible, workable, and relatively economical in it's production costs. Kurt G. got one, had a fellow/friend machinist put a groove in it and that helped him, but several other folks got theirs to seal without it, albeit with a second attempt(Marty! ). This thing doesn't use a nut to secure it in place which allows for use of the smaller diameter filters, but being only 1/3" thick where the threads contact the mounting pipe, we were concerned about too much torque possibly stripping the threads in the aluminum plate.....although it is made from 6061 stock. I/we now realize that this was a pretty much unfounded concern, but probably caused folks to NOT torque it as tight as they might have which also probably contributed to the leaks.

BTW, Srq68 and other triples owners and those with coolers, the filter chamber design is the same for your bikes as for the XS11 and XJ11 as I was informed by Rob Reil(Motorcyclecarbs.com). The plate is 1" thick, the filter ~3", so as long as you have enough clearance with your cooler and the ground to allow ~1.25" more drop, then it will fit. We are working on a flatter 1/2" plate and longer mounting pipe for those with oil coolers to be able to cut down on the overall height/depth that the total set requires, and with 1/2" of thread on the plate it will easily secure the oil cooler and the plate against the engine with the included pipe, you won't use the adapter nut/pipe that you now use with your cooler. However, the FLATTER plate will ONLY work WITH coolers, IF you decide you don't want to use the cooler, the adapter plate WILL NOT WORK alone because it won't have the 2/3" deep recesses needed to clear the engine protrusions! The original adapter plate will work just fine with the Triples!

Bill, if you check out the RIVCO design, it uses a large nut welded to the mounting pipe to secure it with a recess cut into/around the mounting section of the adapter and an O-ring and groove, but this also adds to the overall thickness and puts the oil supply holes further apart requiring the use of wider AUTO filters vs. the smaller bike filter.

SO.....the design is what it is. My Machinist is testing some newly acquired metric pipe that we will be making into the threaded pipe, and with expected successful stress to break tests, we will be able to begin taking orders. I have my original list of folks that responded to this beginning thread, and will offer them to them first. It will take a few weeks to get them into production, and I will need to receive payment for at least 4 orders before I can then have enough revenue to pay the machining costs(up front) and then order the plate material, etc! If I receive a flood of orders, then we'll ramp up production as best as we can. I have a PayPal account, and would prefer payments made to that, but will still accept M.O.'s and checks if you desire!

The Unit Price is $55.00, which includes S & H to Continental US. I will provide the PayPal account Email Address info in PMs/Emails. Please be sure to include your real name, address and XS11.com handle so I can keep track of who has ordered and paid, had shipped to, etc.! Thanks for your patience and support.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Originally posted by srq68
                    Would the adapter fit on an XS850 with cooler plate already? If so, count me in...
                    I tried to send you a PM, but your profile doesn't allow for one, but does allow for EMAIL, so I sent you one there instead. If anything, many folks prevent emails from being sent to them from the profile, but I've never seen PM's blocked!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

• Update!

Hey there folks,

Well, I contacted or at least sent PM's and Emails to everyone who had showed interest in the adapter plates by responding to/in this thread. I've gotten a few prepaid orders and have already received the stock plate material, paid the machinist and expect him to start cutting out the plates this week.

4 plates are already spoken for, will have 4 more in this batch, but can also make many more if we receive enough orders/demand for them. I also have the 1/2" thick stock plate for making thinner adapters to fit bikes with oil coolers that are worried about ground/exhaust pipe clearance. However, just add 1.25" to the bottom of your existing setup/OEM filter chamber, and if there's room/clearance, then the 1" thick plate will work just fine, and you will then have the option of running with or without the cooler later. If you get the 1/2" plate, it will ONLY work with the cooler, won't work on the bike if you remove the cooler plate! Hope to hear from some of you. PM me for more questions and where to send your payment.

If this does catch on, then I'll put an ad in the proper section, and see about putting in a tech tip in the OIL MOD section so as not to take up space here with this "Business"!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

• I'll take another one, but I don't want to be greedy. My Venture Royale has the identical setup as the XS. I'll wait till the others who have been waiting patiently to get theirs, then put me on the list again.
                        Marty in NW PA
                        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

• I ordered my second one earlier and wish now I could have gotten two when TC had the first batch. The prototype I am trying on my 79F is working great and I have changed oil and filter twice now with no problems. It sure makes the oil change job a lot cleaner. Also I have found the filter at three different auto parts stores locally.

Ralph Meeks
                          Ralph Meeks
                          79F
                          80SG

Comment

• Anyone know if these will work with an 82 xj550? I really want something easy like this, my current oil filter assembly is in pretty bad shape.

Comment

• Hey there E-Sloan,

I checked the Yamaha Parts catalog, and they are listed as different part #'s XJ11 vs. XJ550 for the oil filter chamber cover, as well as the filter bypass valve/bolt assembly, and regrettably they don't give any specifications detail like the dimensions.

What you can do is check the outer diameter and inner diameter of your filter chamber, and the overall depth. Also check out the diameter of your filter bolt in mm, and how many threads you can count in a 9mm section, placing the 1st thread at the beginning of the ruler, and then counting all the ridges up to the 9mm mark. You should have a total of 7 ridges which includes the 1st one for it to be a 1.5mm thread spacing! The filter bolt should be 20mm outer diameter.

The cover should be around 130mm outer diameter, 113mm inner, the depth around 2.75". If these match up, then the adapter should work!!! Let me know, would be nice to be able to help even more than just the XS/XJ11's and 750/850 Triples!?
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

• I would love to buy one for my 80' XS11 Special. What would I need to do?

Comment

Working...
                                X