Spin On Oil Filter Adapter POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Oil Filter

Hey BiG Block, check with your local jobbers or auto supply stores. I'm quite sure someone sells remote mounted spin on oil filters/bases. (try a Fram master Catalog) You could then route the oil from the oil line that runs up the back of the engine to feed in series with your remote filter. Mount the base anywhere on the bike with oil lines back to the back of the head. No clearance problems with headers. With a little creative mounting the oil cooler could also be plumbed into this same circuit.
    The only limiting factor is your ingenuity and creativity.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

• thanks ken

Thanks ken, ya i kinda know that part of the equation,i was looking at the plate for my oil cooler ,how the hoses come out the front and all, i really dont want to go to the oil feed line on the back of the motor if i don't have to.By the way isn't that how the cams get there oil? i really do not like that small of a diameter to try pushing both remote filter plus cooler plus try to keep my cams good and wet.Was just kicking some other thoughts around.Now if i can just block off the bottom of my oil cooler plate and then run the cooler and relocator now we could be getting some where.Wow THANKS Ken you really did help me with my Brain fart.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

• It's easy to add a remote filter to an oil cooled setup. I've had one on my 1100SG for about 5 years.
        http://www.mesanet.netfirms.com/XS1100OilFilter.htm
        72 TS185
        77 XS750
        78 SR500
        80 XS850
        80 XS1100 Midnight Special
        81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

• Steve

Thats cool steve. The WHOLE PROBLEM I HAVE IS i CAN NOT mount the cooler plate or TC's plate under my motor i do not have enough space. There is less then 1 inch under the motor and top of my exhaust pipes,Now i'm going to shoot for a block off plate of my own to put under the cooler plate,than i can run remote filter and cooler and have no worries. I HOPE
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

• Hey Chevy,

I can help you in telling you that a bolt to go into the bottom of the cooler plate to afix a block off plate would need to be 20mm diameter, with a 1.5mm pitch! Also, since that's the return port up into the engine, you'll need to drill a hole down thru the center of the bolt up to the head of the bolt, but not thru it, about 1/2" wide/diam, and then drill into the side of the bolt just below the head allowing enough space for the thickness of the block off plate, to allow the oil to get into the bolt and up into the engine. Note the design of the Oil filter bolt!

BTW, I have some 1/2" thick aluminum stock that I can have my machinist cut to fit the bottom of your cooler plate, and just NOT drill the extra 6 oil supply holes in it that would normally go into the spin on filter, that way you can use it with that bolt and washer and sealant combo to block off the bottom of your cooler plate, and it not be too thick!!! I could even have him cut an O-ring groove in it since you'll be using a BOLT/washer combo to hold it in place,and not just a threaded tube!! PM me if you want to talk more about it!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• adapter

Hey finally got around to letting ya know I recieved the adapter Kurt G.,,, thanXS, am heading out for smaller quicker project but will let ya know later!!

Comment

• I have only gone about 15 miles total so far, but I have a piece of advice for anyone planning on doing this upgrade:

Don't leave your oil drain bolt out and filter off for two weeks like I ended up doing. Good part was that I am sure I got all the old oil out, bad part: my wet clutch went dry!

I ran it for a few minutes, then rode it without use of clutch hoping it would free it self up in a few shifts. No go. Then yesterday I put it on center stand, held down rear brake as much as I could, revved to about 4-4.5k, pulled in clutch, and popped into 1st. I had to do this 3 times total before clutch broke free.
                1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• SNOW! Geeze, you could have messed up them dogs and slots!

Originally posted by Snow
                  (snippage)Then yesterday I put it on center stand, held down rear brake as much as I could, revved to about 4-4.5k, pulled in clutch, and popped into 1st. I had to do this 3 times total before clutch broke free.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• At least I didn't have to pull the clutch basket back out and re-soak those fibers

Comment

• Well, I've gone a total of about 50 miles so far with not so much as a drop. I've got my Triumph back from the shop and won't be riding the XS much until I get the front and rear brakes working correctly. Thanks for the adapter TC!

Comment

• Glad to hear that SO FAR it's a successful install!!

Just an FYI, aside from 1standard & 1 oil cooler adapter to TrukLeon, 1Standard to Bruce to help fix his broken case threads, I'll have a few more available from this recent batch. PM me if you're interested in getting one!? Thanks in advance! T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• TC, Your product is GREAT!!!

Got it in the mail today.

Will do the install Friday and Saturday am.

Plan on a long ride Sunday.

When a man can improve on something that's already an engineering marvel, than the inventor needs as much recognition as possible.

Thanks

Doo-Daa

Comment

• Oil filter adapter

I would certainly be interested in the adapter if I am not too late to sign on. I am concerned about a little leak that I have developed. Right in the middle of the front of my motor there is a protruding "thing" that projects between my exhaust tubes. I don't know what it is as I am a brandy new xs member. can ya help?
                            Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

• That would be you cam tensioner and the leak is probably from the plug. Many of us have pulled the plug out and put RTV in. I suggest letting the bike sit for a day or two after pulling the plug and cleaning it. Then put in some RTV to re-plug it, and wait a few more days.

If you do a search, you'll find a wealth of knowledge on the subject as many XS's have this problem.

Comment

• Cam Tensioner Plug

So I pull the plug and coat it with RTV or jusr fill the hole with RTV?

Told you I am clueless!
                                Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Comment

Working...
                                X