Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Update!

Hey there Folks,

Well, the first 4 adapters have been shipped and I'm pretty sure received by all. Just got another order, and also a reminder that I didn't ever state the FINAL price!? It has only gone up $5.00 from last year to $55.00, which is still $10.00 cheaper than the RIVCO unit, and this includes S & H to continental US, and probably Canada, too! . To order, just send $ to Paypal C/O Topcatgr@cox.net , include your full mailing name/address/zip in paypal message. If you want to send M.O./check, PM me and I'll reply with mailing addy!

We have the production process well worked out now, and I'm doing a fair amount of it, making the threaded pipe from 20mm pipe stock and cutting it with a DIE, and also tapping the threads into the plate, and drilling the oil supply holes with my new Craftsman 1/3hp Drill press($100.00 investment).....how I ever got along without it I'll never know!!!! Taking over these processes is keeping the machinist fees down which is keeping the overall cost down. It takes about 1 hour of his CNC time using a finishing bit to cut it out of the 1" thick 6061 Billet plate, plus putting it on his lathe for the center hole and truing the mating surface for perfectly flat! He's getting $25.00/plate vs. his usual $40.00hour rate(XS Discount!), ~$10.00 per plate stock cost, $3.00 per threaded pipe section, ~$6.00avg postage, plus boxes and packing material, and my time with the Tapping, drilling/and Die process of making pipe....HARDEST PART!! So, hopefully you can see, there's not much of a profit margin, and I also have to put up the $$ in advance for the machinist fees and ordering the stock if I don't get very many orders in a timely fashion, so as to not have those who have ordered them into the next batch run from waiting too long! Okay, time to shut up! I really need to make a Tech Tip and ad. in the classifieds so as not to take up tech talk space/time!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• T.C., having been involved in the testing stage of the spin on adapter, I would like to thank you for all the work and effort you have put into this project. It is a great improvement over the stock filter and it really looks cool on the bike.
      I think the adapter is a real deal at $55.00.

Thank You again for all your good work.

Ralph Meeks
      Ralph Meeks
      79F
      80SG

Comment

• adapter

I would take one just let me know what to do. I cant take filter housing off without dropping pipes.

Comment

• I'm just now finally getting around to installing the adapter on my 78E.
          Drain plug out and filter housing off and I'll let it drain overnight. I painted the plate (per instructions) with high-heat engine paint, hot pink (kidding, painted it clear).
          Tomorrow I'll reassemble.
          I think I'll keep the stock set-up on the MN Special.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• oil filter adapter

Still looking for one to fit my 81sh 1100, Any out there not being used pm me .. ThanXS.

Comment

• After letting everythin drain, checked for cleanliness, assembled, let set....started bike....
              it leaked, badly.
              Now to disassemble and do over. Maybe like triple cleaning the carbs ?
              Just kidding.
              I noticed as I was threading the plate up the hollow stud that the plate had a 'wobble' to it, like the center threaded hole wasn't straight (causing it to not seat properly). I'll chech into that when I take it back off in a bit.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

• Hi Pat!

Trust me when I say this - clean clean clean. Look back to my post, use acetone and clean clean clean. You have to remove any oil that might come in contact with the gasket material. I let my oil drip out for 2 days, until when I wiped I got no more oil coming out. Then clean clean clean the aluminum. Keep wiping until you get no more oxide on your rag. Then apply a thin layer of the gasket material, let it set up for a few minutes, then screw on the housing, then let it sit for 2 days.

Yeah, it might be a bit of extra work, but I have had 5 or 6 oil and filter changes, ran nearly bug 2 in Canada, zipped along in a spritely manner in N. Georgia last fall (didn't we Bob H.?), and so on. Not a drop leaked out. I am going to put one on my Venture Royale in the spring, as soon as I get it out of winter storage.
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

• I sucsessfully got the adapter off (thankfully I have the oil cooler plate too). I'll try again next oil change.
                  Everything was XStremely clean. I blame it on my workspace.
                  At the moment I need my bike as it's my daily transportation so I only have Sun evening thru Tue night to work on it.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

• First, Trukleon/Kurt,

Didn't you ever get a reply back from that guy in NY? Tony Guidice, he had one he decided not to use, and I got a reply back from you saying you were going to contact him?? PS, TKAT just posted on Yahoo group he now has his XS-750/1100 special FB's ready!!

Secondly, Pat, like Marty said, the key really is the cleaning and the curing of the adhesive. You should be able to drain it overnight(Sunday), then Monday clean and apply the adapter, don't be afraid to hand tighten it snugly until you see the sealant being squeezed out from inbetween the parts, and then let it setup overnight(24hrs), till Tuesday, then it should be cured enough to fill and run! I only let mine setup 1 full day(24hours), and like Marty's, narry a drop. You might try placing a space heater aimed towards it to assist in the heating/curing process?

Even though there 'apparently' is a slight wobble in the threading, there's enough slack in the threads of the threaded pipe and adapter to easily allow the plate to flatten/square up to make full contact against the oil cooler plate. I test threaded them all to ensure they would square up before I sent them out!
                    I hand tap the center threads in the adapters myself, using a drill press and square to align the tap to the plate, but I may have gotten a degree off!? But if it just won't work after a second attempt, I'll gladly accept it back and refund your $$.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• oil filter adapter

Hey T.C.,,,I have two 1100's, and T. is looking for his after moving (we all know what that is like).

Comment

• If anyone needs one of TC's spin on adapters I have one available. I have made a couple of additions to TC's fine work. It has had an O-ring grove machined in it for better sealing that takes the stock O-ring and also has four notches machined at 90 degree intervals to allow use of a drift to loosen it for removal. $55.00 will get it mailed to you in the US. I take and prefer Paypal. Contact me at krgrife@aol.com.

Comment

• filter adapter

Hey I am intersted in that ,Ive mailed ya so if it's still in your grasp,, l(mine too ) let me know!ThanXS

Comment

• The filter adapter is on its way to Zap, N.D.

Comment

• I finally got around to installing my adapter last night after letting her drain..err...for a week - sometimes life just gets in the way. I'm going to let it cure until Saturday which will be almost 48 hours (24 hr cure according to permatex) before putting the filter and drain bolt back in and filling 'er up with Rotella.

I'll give a report back here once I've gotten a chance to ride her for a decent distance and a good amount of time has passed - I still have a couple problems to correct on her first.
                              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• To T.C. and Machinist

is there any way to make a remote filter out of your design? Or should i say oil filter relocator? As i run the kerker header i have found zero clearence under my stock filter cover to use your plate,or my oil cooler for that matter.Any thoughts or help will be appreciated. Thank in advance.
                                1982 XJ 1100
                                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                                X