No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIRC, the FJR1300 weighs in around 625#'s- dry.
    The C14 weighs in @ 677#'s dry.

But, factoring in the difference between Bonz, Harry, and me... should be close w/ the weight advantage possibly going to Harry...

That's a great point about the carb'd ZRX vs. the FI bikes at altitude.
    Sensors and computers help compensate a lot better at higher altitudes.

I also noticed a power reduction on my C14 at altitudes above 10,000' using the only available 85 octane rated fuels.

I figure all 3 bikes will be close race from start to 100, then it'll get interesting.
    If you only compare dyno figures and curves, I'd give the sprint between 100 to 150 edge to the C14. The dyno chart of my particular flashed C14 is linear now like a space shuttle's launch.

From some of what I've read, flashing the newer FJR's really not recommended, due to their throttle by wire. I think that didn't happen until after the '14 models, though. Been reading where there can be some dangerous, negative side effects flashing those ecu's, because it affects throttle control negatively.

(There's a handy piece of knowlege to have before choosing to flash! Lol...)
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Hmmm.....Co/Western XS11 rally. Interesting Conny/Feejer thread reads. Would a 4-wheel cager count and fit in the fold?
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Sure would! I mean it's a different dynamic in a car when you're following a group of bikes but you are welcome to do that.
        Last edited by Bonz; 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Nice....Thanks! Now just have to lead,follow or get the heck out of the way!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Ride Plan

Been working on the Colorado Rally Ride Plan for this year
            I like to ride the US Highways from beginning to end (when i can).

The ride to Colorado Rally last year on US 50 was a real HOOT. The Nifty Fifty Loogootee Indiana right to Echo Canyon campground.
            Turned out to be great road to travel across the middle of the US. Though the western end UT & NV to Sacramento is magnificent.

This year i think it will be US 36 from Ulrichsville Ohio to Estes Park,
            says its 1,414 Miles end-to-end
            where it ends at Trail Ridge Rd / US34 in the Park

Likely just putt-putt across and see a few things as i go.
            Still planning to be in Fort Collins on Thursday night July 13th
            Then Cache la Poudre river road to lunch in Walden to Kremmling on Friday.

The weeks are shooting by quickly so it won't be long till we all saddle up and head out to Kremmling

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Looking back through this thread and reading between the lines,
              it seems maybe I need one of these for this years Colorado Rally?

a lot of bike for 9 grand
              if it only came in Orange

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                IIRC, the FJR1300 weighs in around 625#'s- dry.
                The C14 weighs in @ 677#'s dry.

But, factoring in the difference between Bonz, Harry, and me... should be close w/ the weight advantage possibly going to Harry...

That's a great point about the carb'd ZRX vs. the FI bikes at altitude.
                Sensors and computers help compensate a lot better at higher altitudes.

I also noticed a power reduction on my C14 at altitudes above 10,000' using the only available 85 octane rated fuels.

I figure all 3 bikes will be close race from start to 100, then it'll get interesting.
                If you only compare dyno figures and curves, I'd give the sprint between 100 to 150 edge to the C14. The dyno chart of my particular flashed C14 is linear now like a space shuttle's launch.

From some of what I've read, flashing the newer FJR's really not recommended, due to their throttle by wire. I think that didn't happen until after the '14 models, though. Been reading where there can be some dangerous, negative side effects flashing those ecu's, because it affects throttle control negatively.

(There's a handy piece of knowlege to have before choosing to flash! Lol...)
                Everything I have read says the Connie has the FJR on quickness and a few mph on the top end. Plus if I recall, you have done a bit of go fast work to yours.
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  Been working on the Colorado Rally Ride Plan for this year

The ride to Colorado Rally last year on US 50 was a real HOOT. The Nifty Fifty Loogootee Indiana right to Echo Canyon campground.
                  Turned out to be great road to travel across the middle of the US. Though the western end UT & NV to Sacramento is magnificent.

says its 1,414 Miles end-to-end
                  where it ends at Trail Ridge Rd / US34 in the Park

Likely just putt-putt across and see a few things as i go.
                  Still planning to be in Fort Collins on Thursday night July 13th
                  Then Cache la Poudre river road to lunch in Walden to Kremmling on Friday.

The weeks are shooting by quickly so it won't be long till we all saddle up and head out to Kremmling

Jeff
                  Let me know where you are staying when you go past Kansas City. US 36 is maybe 40 miles north of here. Can at least meet you for dinner as you pass through.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Looking back through this thread and reading between the lines,
                    it seems maybe I need one of these for this years Colorado Rally?

a lot of bike for 9 grand
                    if it only came in Orange

Jeff
                    Orange! I'll kick in a fiver towards that!

lol

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

says its 1,414 Miles end-to-end[/B] where it ends at Trail Ridge Rd / US34 in the Park
                      Jeff, I did 36 a couple years ago from Springfied Ill (had left Chicago) to almost Denver (angled south to Colorado Springs). North to Estes Park (Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Peak to Peak highway) the next day
                      As I'm sure you know....straight straight straight flat flat flat!!
                      Lots better than the interstate though.
                      See a grain elevator off in the distance and sure enough there's a little four corner community of sorts there.
                      Free camping in Marysville 'City' Park, Kansas. Wish we had such places in the East.

Have you by any chance done RT 20 coast to coast?
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                        Jeff, I did 36 a couple years ago from Springfied Ill (had left Chicago) to almost Denver (angled south to Colorado Springs). North to Estes Park (Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Peak to Peak highway) the next day
                        As I'm sure you know....straight straight straight flat flat flat!!
                        Lots better than the interstate though.
                        See a grain elevator off in the distance and sure enough there's a little four corner community of sorts there.
                        Free camping in Marysville 'City' Park, Kansas. Wish we had such places in the East.

Have you by any chance done RT 20 coast to coast?
                        Yep,
                        No matter how you attempt to 'Cross the Middle' this is about what you see
                        But its what you can't see; the killer crosswinds that will get us bikers

Wife's family lives in those straight-straight, flat-flat lands in the middle of the country west of the Mississippi.
                        Town of maybe 200 people. so i know the drill.

US20? well i try to avoid Gary Indiana. and the highways too far north latitude in the Rust Belt where the pavement isn't too great.
                        Living in Sacramento for so many years did ride the western portion of US 20 from Newport on the Pacific to Bend & Burns into Idaho and then Yellowstone.

Do again ride:
                        i'd like to do again is US82 that goes from Georgia on the east end to Alamogordo NM on the west end. That was great trip.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

Orange! I'll kick in a fiver towards that!

lol

John

> to get my Fiver;
                          does it have to be a Kawa? or does this count??

This thing might be what shows up in Kremmling. Running out of time to tackle maintenance items on the 11E.
                          Been out to Motomans on 'Orange' too. Plus it is fully serviced and ready to ride.
                          (plus getting 46-47mpg vs 36 (Kansas gas ) -37-38mpg on the 11 will be a bonus & 260-270 miles between fillups too)

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• What a maintenance items? I thought you got that bike dialed in before last summer's trip out here. That is a really good looking Goldwing!

However an extra 10 or 11 miles per gallon from a road warrior like a 'Wing is absolutely awesome!
                            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              What a maintenance items? I thought you got that bike dialed in before last summer's trip out here.
                              Yes, 11E is dialed in very very good. But got a new electrical fault this winter. 8.7 mA drain in the fairing connector or fairing circuit. Pull all the fuses except the 30 amp and has that drain. Just haven't had the time to dig in and troubleshoot the 12 pin wiring into the Pacifico. Could be as easy as the left handlebar switches, chaffed wire or something hot that shouldn't be. Doesn't blow a fuse. Unplug the 12 pin and it stops. Just draws 8.7 mA and drains the battery when 12 pin is hooked up. Bike runs awesome otherwise though its been 20,000 since I checked the valves and could stand a carb float adjust & sync too. Probably be May before I have the time to mess with it.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Hard to argue with a Gold Wing for long miles. I loved riding the 80SG for the Durango Rally in 2011 as an attendee, then leading the 2014 Colorado Rally. Used the ZRX for the 2016 Colorado Rally, with 3Phase flying in and riding the SG.

My long legs don't like to fold up on the SG as much, the ZRX is a more comfortable ride for me now with the mods I have done to the riders triangle, especially for day rides and longer. Just not as good on the weather protection compared to the Plexi III on the SG. Gets HOT behind the Plexi III in the summer. It is a big shield.

Anyhow, as the XS gets older and older, the reality is fewer will be making treks to Rally's. What is awesome with this group is the XS1100 itself is secondary to the goings-on at a rally, yet it is the bike that binds us. It matters not what we ride.

It's the guys that make the rally what it is, and having them there on whatever ride they choose. Dang near brought a tear to my eye on this snowy Spring night in Colorado thinking of you guys and the Rally!

For a thought... would guys be in for a Rally T-shirt? Cost is what it is for probably any Rally shirt, just want to know the interest level.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X