2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
    Howdy Bonz,,,count me in for the 17' rally there,looks like a cool area. I dont know anything about the area there but a bunch of you do, sooooo countdown begins and prep the 1100 for some cruising, and of course we will attempt to go through Beaver Utah and not have a Bermuda triangle breakdown. Me, Roo and Scott have to break the Hex that place has put on us. Keep the info coming and have a good school year.....Mike in Sun Diego
    Mike, check your PM for this 'happening'!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Cool, BA80! Besides you and Harry, who are the other wild eyed southern boys? Still gotta learn some of the old names.

Now that we don't have an election to talk about and roast the politicians while burning through a bunch of firewood, maybe we can roast some marshmallows instead.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Howard,
        Work's all done on my bike, now to send the CPU out for the flash!

I'll be ready for your ZRX next rally...

Question is... will your ZRX be ready for my C14??

Hahaha...

Lookin' forward to it!
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Good to hear! Can't wait to get your remarks about "The Flash". I think you're going to really like it based on how simple fuel injection tuning devices have worked on FI bikes I've owned in the past. And this one is specific for your C14.

What I realize about the ZRX w/carbs compared to pretty much any similar-sized fuel injected bike, the fuel injection (unless it's from a really low speed/ off the line or a higher speed/rpm roll on) will whoop me every time. I have a buddy with the new liquid cooled BMW R1200RT and it has such a quick response when we roll-on he gets the jump and I don't start reeling him in till a ways down the road and triple digits.

I plan to have the ZZR 1200 pistons in by spring time which will give me a point bump in compression ratio to make up for the loss of dynamic compression with the longer-duration ZZR cams I put in last spring. ZZR cams still carry the day handily up top even with stock ZRX Pistons however down low and early mid-range the ZZR cams have cost me a little bit.

I have noticed gas mileage down about 1.5 MPG since I put in the ZZR cams. I feel it's from the loss of dynamic compression ratio and thus a small amount of efficiency, as I have ridden enough miles now to give a fair comparison. With the ZZR 1200 carburetors and stock cams I would turn a solid 51-52 MPG. It is down to 49.5 - 50.5 with the ZZR cams and the same carb setup. Adding the compression will help me get that gas mileage back and fill in down low and early mid-range along with another 7-8 ponies up top.
          Last edited by Bonz; 12-03-2016, 07:26 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Howard,
            That's a really nice ZRX you have there. When all the mods are done, that 1200 should give my 1400 quite a run! Truth be told, if they were lined up, I'd probably be playing catch up to it! (You're bike definitely has the weight advantage.)

The guy that came up with this flash (now in 3rd gen stage...) is a C14 owner.
            He also has owned a C10 for many years, and lots of guys know "Shoodabin Engineering" in Florida because of his research and mod improvements he came up with on C10 carbs.

His C14 was 100% stock. Prior to his flash, he would do roll-ons w/ a buddy that had a C14 w/ a full Area P exhaust, PCV and tune, flies removed, ZX14 throttle bodies... you name it, he had it. The modded bike dyno'd at 164 RWHP and 110 pdft torque. No slouch, and it would run off and leave Steve's stock bike.
            Then the flash...
            Steve's bike would literally run off from the modded bike to 8000 rpm and 125 mph or so. Then the modded bike would catch up.

So far, many hundreds of guys have now posted about their opinion of their flashed bikes. 100% LOVE IT, praise it, and say that it's exactly what Kawasaki should have done to begin with. They say it smoothes out the low speed notchiness, and changes the curve to a linear direction, across ALL rpms.

Kawasaki set up the C14 kinda rich. This corrects that a bit, which improves fuel mileage. All say they see 4-5 mpg improvement.

Looking forward to it. Instead of removing the secondary flies, it actually uses them more efficiently, which is a big plus. The C14 uses those secondary flies when KTRC (traction control) kicks in.

It should enhance greatly the ride experience, which ain't to bad now! Lol.

Valves have been adjusted, throttle bodies synched, new spark plugs, air filter, all fluids flushed and changed, new brakes and rotors, new tires... should be up to "prime" by the time I see ya at the rally.
            Sounds like we're gonna have some more fun, for sure!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

With the ZZR1200 40mm carburetors on the ZRX, I gained 4-5 mpg over the ZRX stock 36mm carbs. With the stock ZRX cams and ZX11 ignitor it was wicked good combination from bottom to top. With the ZZR1200 cams installed it is a more wicked good combination from 4000 RPM on up. The increased duration of the ZZR cams combined with the stock compression ratio (10.1:1 static CR), gives a flat spot from 2800 to 3400 RPM from what I have to believe is a bit of reversion due to the lower dynamic CR. A point of compression with the ZZR pistons and either .010" off the head or base gasket removal (each been used equally well with the ZRX, but not both together) will do the trick from my research. I'm most likely to do the head, then I don't risk piston-to-head clearance issues using a stock head gasket. While no one has ever run into piston-to-head problems when pulling the base gasket alone, doing both could risk piston-to-valve clearance.

Going forward, I just have to grow some more hair on my chest and do the piston swap. I've never done something with a motor like that, so it will be my first time. However I've done carbs and cams and about everything else many times. The ultimate would be a set of JE 12.5:1 pistons, but the budget doesn't have it and I already have the used ZZR pistons from a low mile motor on hand.
              Last edited by Bonz; 12-06-2016, 11:10 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Some good riding in that part of the state...have not been up there for a couple years, would be nice to ride again. Trail Ridge Road is always nice, plenty of vistas and a stop in Estes Park for ice cream and chocolate. Can be busy on weekends. I will plan to be there
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Cool, Jerry!
                  Look forward to seeing you again, then!

I've been wanting to get back to Estes Park, Trail Ridge Road, and the Continental Divide for some time now.
                  Can't wait!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Well good deal Jerry, can't have enough Kawasaki's at a Yamaha XS1100 Rally. Your Connie C10, Bob's C14, Roo's Voyager/Nomad and my ZRX. Still could end up bringing the 80SG but I just don't fit ias comfortably for longer days on it with the knee bend, never thought I'd say that.

I'm glad this area of the state has interest for you guys. It's going to be a fun time.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bump... someone posted up a new thread in the rally section asking for repair advice in AZ and knocked the rally off the home page.

Mods- can you move that thread to where it may get more views?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Another bump.
                        Last edited by Bonz; 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bumping along.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Things

That go "bump" on the site !
                            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Joe that is a good one!
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Just a thought

Hey Howard, While I was reviewing this post and possible loops , it appears there are quite a few members interested in Trail ridge and Estes Park , as you are aware that would be a looooong trip from Kremmling across and back , I don't personally mind but some might ?
                                I remember you mentioning Steamboat also via Oak creek/Taponas ....
                                What are your thoughts about Walden as home base ?
                                Hwy 14 is quite scenic into/out of Ft Collins too as part of the loop over Trail Ridge...
                                Also Berthoud Pass for those returning to the East or Silverthorn to Vail pass for the Cali boys ...
                                78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Working...
                                X