Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
    Brant,

I got my EVO flashed cpu back and reinstalled.
    All is A-ok. Fired up, sounds great.
    Too cold to test ride.
    Tomorrow (Mon) through Thursday's supposed to be great again... Wed's high of 70! So I'll test ride it this week.

Then... the bottom falls out again, and we may be in for a bad 4 day stretch of rain, ice, and snow. Friday through Monday's looking rough.

But, compared to the temps you're saying... It's srill like springtime here...

Bob
    Good deal.......now the anticipation makes it worth the wait.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Squeezed in a 25 mile test ride today since it was warm.

(Unfortunately, most of my work is outside stuff this week, and that's all I had time for today. Gotta make hay while the sun's shinin', ya know?)

Even though it was short, it was sweet!
      Big improvements in smoothness and throttle response.
      Pulls like a freight train, all the way across the rpm band. No more lags and dips a certain rpm's like before. It now lugs way better, and rockets away when the throttle's pinned, regardless of gear. Smoother deceleration, too. Doesn't throw me forward when I let off like before. So far, very nice improvements!

Gotta work outside on a job again tomorrow, but gonna try to work in some more riding, too. After tomorrow, the weather turns bad again.

So far, I'm grinnin' !!
      Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Nice!........sounds like positive expected results. Be safe out there buddy!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I know you haven't done any riding this weekend... Me neither.

I admire you for doing the reflash. I have an uncle in Chicago with some nice bikes and he has as one of them a 2010 Vmax GEN2. Now that the warranty is long expired I expect he will do a reflash and uncork that puppy, but he is hesitant even though 100's of guys have done it successfully like the C14 flash.

I kid you not I rolled on WFO in second gear at 30 miles an hour and the speedo counted by 20s it was accelerating so fast until 90 where the shift light came on (he had it set a bit below redline) and I hit third gear. Speedo kept going up like an accelerating rocket and I rolled out as it went past 115. This was in probably four seconds. 0-100 in 6 seconds by the magazines, so it was no fluke that it was honestly about 4 seconds to do that.

There comes a time when you really can't actually use anymore performance on the road, but to me it's that you know you could do more with the modifications.
          Last edited by Bonz; 01-15-2017, 09:05 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

So far, I can see/feel improvements.

Kawasaki left quite a bit on the table with the C14's fuel management program, and this flash really shows it.

Power is now more linear, throughout the rpm band. It used to have power dips in certain areas, especially low end. That's now a memory that once was.

I've always had to downshift 2 gears to get the bike to perform well, whether it was preparing to pass a car, coming out of corners... anytime I needed more power. No longer need to do that. Regardless of gear, just pin it, and it goes!

C14's gearing is a bit on the high side, and even though their engines develop a lot of hp/torque, they struggle at lower rpm ranges. This solves that, and now torque is linear across all rpm's. Big improvement.

It's so much smoother now! When I would ride twisties before, (especially The Dragon, Deal's Gap, type roads) there's always been lots of jerkiness when I'd let off the throttle/get back on the throttle. It's now much improved. No more clinking helmets with a passenger!

Most also see an increase in fuel mileage, which will help extend the range a bit more on those road trips out west...

The increase in low end torque is the most impressive, though.
            A stock C14 (flashed only) outruns a full-modded one on WOT roll-ons, every time. Stev's bike was 100% stock. He flashed his. His friend brought his C14 with a full Area P exhaust system, ZX-14 throttle bodies, (larger) PCV, secondary flies removed, etc over.
            This bike had dyno'd 162 RWHP. They compared the bikes side by side doing roll ons at different speeds/rpms. The flashed bike literally walked away, every time.
            They switched bikes/riders. Same results, so not the rider.

I waited 2 years, and read hundreds of posts from other members who had Steve flash their cpu's. Some even had previous flashes from other companies.
            I also watched Steve continue to refine and make little tweeks to the flash.
            When he recently announced that his latest "EVOLUTION" version was his best, and last version, I knew it was time to go for it.

Not one person has said one negative thing about any of his flashes. All are impressed with the improvements. I'm now one of those happy people.

He also reported how careful he's been, how thorough, and how he would never chance or sacrifice the safety of the system for more power.
            So far, I can tell. The C14's are set up pretty rich, anyway.

Another thing I like, 2010's and newer have a switch on the front of their left handlebars. It allows the rider to scroll through different menus on the LCD screen, like battery voltage, outside temp, avg. fuel economy, miles to empty, and tire pressure monitoring. If the rider holds in on the switch for a couple seconds, it switches between full power mode to ECO mode for better fuel economy, at a 15% sacrifice in power. It presets in full power mode, and must be toggled for the ECO side programming. Steve flashes only the power side, so the ECO side programming remains the same. This allows me to always go back to a stock program, if I choose. But, there's such a huge difference, I don't wanna!
            Makes for a nice reminder of the improvement it's made. Plus, the real kicker... it gets BETTER economy now in flashed, full power mode than it does in ECO mode! A win/win.

Plus, the cpu controls the secondary flies on a C14 as part of KTRC traction control. KTRC was an option in '08/'09, and most didn't have it.
            On the '10 and newer ones, it's standard. A lot of C14 guys that have the older bikes removed the secondaries to see a low end pformance increase. Now, once they have their's flashed, they wind up putting them back in! I kinda like my KTRC, and didn't want to lose that. Problem solved... except now I have to remember to turn the KTRC OFF before a hard launch! It wants to wheelie in the first 3 gears a lot now, and KTRC will kick in if it's left on! Can be quite a shocking experience, the first time it happens... lol!

I feel it's the best, easiest, and cheapest performance mod I could make to an already awesome performing bike.

Sounds like your ZRX is also gonna be a force to be reckoned with by summer, too Bonz. Cool! Should be a lotta fun, and now that DiverRay's got a C14 too... Looking forward to riding some great Colorado roads again with you guys come summer.
            Bob
            Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 01-17-2017, 09:10 AM.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Don't know if I would call it a force to be reckoned with. It sure is a fun bike that is so flexible from parking lot speed to the highway. The response of fuel injected bikes like your C14 is awesome. The ZRX will be running in top form, but I am not holding my breath. ZRX is lighter than C14, Howard weighs more than Bob.

In any case, both our bikes are "our" bikes and we have done a lot to "perfect" them in our own eyes.

I just have to put exhaust and radiator back on the ZRX over the next couple nights and should be ready for a ride this weekend.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

If we pull off the anticipated move to Tucson ..i will be looking at this rally for 2018..this year all rallies are off the table...so to say...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Howard,
                  Yes... body weight differences between us MAY be my only advantage! Lol...

ZRX's are quick bikes, outta the crate anyways. I figure with these new mods you've made, it should be pretty zippy outta the hole.

The C14's drawback is it's bulk. 677 #'s dry weight.
                  So, you got almost a 200# advantage on me, there alone.
                  But, a C14 is one of those "sneaky fast" kinda bikes, and once it's
                  rolling, it goes. With the new flash, it should make it fun...

Ben,
                  We'll be looking forward to seeing you again and riding some great roads again soon. You gotta put this rally on your "must do" list.
                  Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                    If we pull off the anticipated move to Tucson ..i will be looking at this rally for 2018..this year all rallies are off the table...so to say...
                    Well.......least you'll be closer to where you should be........only a 12hr. jaunt north to my location. BTW, VERY familiar with Tuscon and surrounding area.

Comment

The ZRX lives! Got everything buttoned up with the engine last night. Filled the cooling system and got the tank on after work today. I cranked it over in 5-7 second spurts to get oil circulating then put gas to the carbs. She came to life pretty easily. I modulated the choke and throttle to keep it between 1200 and 2000 RPM up and down for a couple minutes. Shut it down and will check for any leaks in the morning. I hope to go for a break in ride over the weekend.

As a stock bike it ran the 1/4 in 10.7 at 125 mph in the magazines. Dale Walker told me he ran one a tad quicker at 128 mph in stock form. Dale's full system and jet kit is good for 130 hp and 85 foot pounds of torque with the stock carbs and a stock engine. My carburetor set up is worth another 8 hp from dyno runs guys have done, the cams are 7-8hp, compression increase is worth about 5hp. Plus the torque spread increases nicely from down low to redline. Redline is now 11,500 with the double valve spring set up from the ZX11 to go with the ECU from the ZX11 I put in last year.

You can't tell a single one of those mods by looking at the bike. Heh, heh, heh... can you say "sleeper"?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Sweeeeettt!!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I plan on being there again this year.
                          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                            With all this Bump-Bump-Bump i am beginning to think you are planning to take us up the one-way Old Fall River Road to the summit.
                            you providing the Jeeps or the dirt bikes?

So yes, planning on 2017. I had a great time at the Echo Canyon Rally and the 4,353 mile xs11 ride. Luckily it was no an Adventure. As motoman stated: "it only becomes an Adventure when you break down". Lets all avoid hassling with an adventure.

If i can make it i plan to ride the Cache la Poudre (CO14) anyways. I like that beautiful ride along the river. fyi: I have booked a room in Kremmling Fri-Sat-Sun but can cancel if things change. If Rally ends up at Wolford Lake as first proposed then we gotta plan some time for Motoman to give us a 'Walking Tour' of Kremmling.

Can change to Walden or wherever. Have stayed before at North Park Inn & been to that Antlers / River Rock for food in the bustling metropolis of Walden. Pretty quiet place. Sidewalks roll up a sunset.

Jeff
                            Let me know if you will be coming through Kansas City Jeff.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Suh-weeet! Good to hear it Harry.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                                I plan on being there again this year.
                                Awesome, Harry!
                                Be great to see ya again
                                Looking forward to it!
                                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X