2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Motel where JeffH is staying is the Super 8 in Kremmling, if that is of some help.
    Thanks, Brant!

I figure that'll be how Bohn and I will roll.
    Greg, you guys camping or getting a room, too?
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      Thanks, Brant!

I figure that'll be how Bohn and I will roll.
      Greg, you guys camping or getting a room, too?
      Believe wife and I will do a room overnite there also. That way, you all don't have to ride after dark when running up to the camp-park and back a few miles.....least for one night anyways. Helps put odds in y'alls favor over suicidal 'forest rats'. Sounded good to Jeff H. also,( talked to him on phone), as he is wallowerin' around in some 3ft. of snow/cold in upper New York state at his Dads, who had broken his leg(age 93).
      Last edited by motoman; 02-03-2017, 08:13 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Believe wife and I will do a room overnite there also. That way, you all don't have to ride after dark when running up to the camp-park and back a few miles.....least for one night anyways. Helps put odds in y'alls favor over suicidal 'forest rats'. Sounded good to Jeff H. also,( talked to him on phone), as he is wallowerin' around in some 3ft. of snow/cold in upper New York state at his Dads, who had broken his leg(age 93).
        Oh, man! That's awful! So sorry to hear that about Jeff's dad!

That sounds like a good plan, Brant. Gonna be great to see you and Anita again!

..."suicidal forest rats??"

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
          Oh, man! That's awful! So sorry to hear that about Jeff's dad!

That sounds like a good plan, Brant. Gonna be great to see you and Anita again!

..."suicidal forest rats??"
          .......yeppers......some even come with antlers.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• As a clarification, when you come into Kremmling from the south (Hwy 9) you come to a stoplight "T" intersection at Hwy 40. Turn right at the intersection (east) and you go 1 mile and the Red Mountain RV Park/campground is on your left (north side of Hwy 40). I believe the Super 8 is in the first block (north) across the intersection from above said stoplight at the intersection of Hwy 9 and 40.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              As a clarification, when you come into Kremmling from the south (Hwy 9) you come to a stoplight "T" intersection at Hwy 40. Turn right at the intersection (east) and you go 1 mile and the Red Mountain RV Park/campground is on your left (north side of Hwy 40). I believe the Super 8 is in the first block (north) across the intersection from above said stoplight at the intersection of Hwy 9 and 40.
              Wow!.........an actual stoplight in Kremmling now at that location?.....that's a first.

Comment

• That stoplight was added around 10 years ago. I go through there a couple times a year on my way to Steamboat Springs for hunting and other outdoor activities.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• As a salute to all XS'ers that have attended the last two Colorodo Rallies, I did a 170 mile loop today up Hwy 24 past the Pikes Peak Highway entrance, through Woodland Park and Divide, then the back roads we rode that lead to Hwy 50 at the Royal Gorge and the campground. Ate lunch at another nice Mexican place in Canon City, then back home via Hwy 115 and up I-25 back to Monument then Palmer Lake. High temp was 62 deg in Canon City, low temp was 38 deg in Divide.

As an aside, I found out EXACTLY how far the ZRX will go on a full fuel load (5 gallons)... Exactly 0 miles more than when it burbled to a stop at the gas station at the Monument exit on the way home. Deliberately wanted to stretch it and find the true range, mission accomplished, although cut it way too close. I left on the ride with 62 miles on the trip odo, and hit reserve at 185 miles. 231.9 on the trip odo as I sputtered into the station. Put in 1 gallon, then rode .7 miles to my regular station to fill up the rest of the way for an accurate check on mpg at the usual pump.

232.6 miles, 4.659 gallons total. That means about .4 gallon of unusable fuel capacity. Because I know the bike averages 50 mpg, I figured I would have around a .3-.5 gallon cushion. Nope.

49.92 mpg with a good number of runs up to "what's the penalty for 60 over in Colorado" (as quoted from Harry, aka Bigfoot) on the same stretches of road we took for the rally.

Anyway, hope many of my fellow XS'ers got to ride today as well!
                  Last edited by Bonz; 02-05-2017, 06:42 PM.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Awesome, Howard!
                    Sounds like it ran well for ya!

I remember once when Miles and Cody were riding out west, they had pushed it too far on Miles's Virago's fuel range. He could see the gas station off in the distance as it started sputtering...but still far enough away he dreaded pushing it.

So, he began to lean the bike back and forth, hard left, hard right. Sloshing the last of the fuel in the tank around...and it would get gas, pick back up... he managed to manhandle it like that all the way to the pump!
                    Cody said it looked pretty funny watching it, but it worked! Lol...

Sounds like a nice ride route. Wish I could've ridden with ya!
                    If you got almost 50 and rode spiritidly... not bad. Not bad at all.
                    Cool...
                    Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

• I was cruising along at light throttle at 75 mph on the interstate when I rolled out to exit and then rolled back on is when she started to burble . I was on an exit ramp coming to a stop light so sloshing around wasn't much of an option. So I shut it down immediately and coasted to a stop waiting for the light to change. I turned the petcock to prime and sloshed it around while sitting at the light hoping to get some into the fuel line. Then once she fired I went back to reserve real quick and made it the quarter-mile to the first gas station.

The ZX11/ZZR1200 carbs do 3-4 mpg better than stock carbs, and on verified Dyno runs add 10-12 hp and 7-9 foot pounds of torque to an otherwise stock engine (stock cams, pistons). These have the same results as flat sides but with better economy and better drivability.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Campground deposit

Hey guys, I'm taking care of the deposit for the campground. I would really appreciate it if any of you guys can pitch in 20 bucks deposit that know you are coming and staying at the campground.

Paypal:hbonser611@gmail.com

Thanks much!
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• KAWA - Bunga

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                          Let me know if you will be coming through Kansas City Jeff.
                          Guess I'm riding the wrong bike. KAWA seems the brand of choice this year.
                          So I might have to either trade for a KAWA -or-
                          invoke the "All Bikes Welcome" clause and ride my XS11 or Wing.

Coming through KC? Not sure yet. Last year was easy just riding north to Indiana then riding west on 'the 50' for 1,100 miles.
                          This years westerly transit will be somewhere in a 750 mile wide window between Texarkana and Sioux City.
                          Not sure when or where i'm starting Westward Ho journey just yet.

Am sure looking forward to the Rally and meeting up with the Calif contingent
                          (that hopefully will just uneventfully zip past Beaver UT this year)

As mentioned, I do have motel reservation in Kremmling. Near the Restaurants of course, so i can just walk over to meet y'all.
                          Was going to book at Bob's Western motel but not staying there before but decided against it.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            Hey guys, I'm taking care of the deposit for the campground. I would really appreciate it if any of you guys can pitch in 20 bucks deposit that know you are coming and staying at the campground.

Paypal:hbonser611@gmail.com

Thanks much!
                            BUMP ..............
                            so Bonz keeps the campground deposit $ coming in to cover the initial deposit he paid out.
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Thanks JeffH for the bump on the campground deposit! Two fellows have chipped in $20 each so far, thanks soccer4m and Bigfoot! I realize some guys don't do PayPal and that's cool, so if you do here's the address.

PayPal: hbonser611@gmail.com

"All Bikes" have to be welcome, I am the guy leading the rally and on, most likely, my Kawasaki again simply because it's more comfortable for my long legs. But I do have the nice 80 SG that I could "force" myself to ride...
                              Last edited by Bonz; 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. I'm about broke and summer's not looking much better but I'll try.

I'll have to see if I can use the campground or if I need a motel room. I may reserve both and cancel one when it's rally time. This getting old stuff is getting old.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X