2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    With all this Bump-Bump-Bump i am beginning to think you are planning to take us up the one-way Old Fall River Road to the summit.
    you providing the Jeeps or the dirt bikes?

So yes, planning on 2017. I had a great time at the Echo Canyon Rally and the 4,353 mile xs11 ride. Luckily it was no an Adventure. As motoman stated: "it only becomes an Adventure when you break down". Lets all avoid hassling with an adventure.

If i can make it i plan to ride the Cache la Poudre (CO14) anyways. I like that beautiful ride along the river. fyi: I have booked a room in Kremmling Fri-Sat-Sun but can cancel if things change. If Rally ends up at Wolford Lake as first proposed then we gotta plan some time for Motoman to give us a 'Walking Tour' of Kremmling.

Can change to Walden or wherever. Have stayed before at North Park Inn & been to that Antlers / River Rock for food in the bustling metropolis of Walden. Pretty quiet place. Sidewalks roll up a sunset.

Jeff
    "walking tour" of Kremmling(5-6 blocks) should burn up bout 15min.......then a couple really good home-cooked meal places to munch.....Get tired of the scoots, horseback trail riding place there in Kremmling also.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      "walking tour" of Kremmling(5-6 blocks) should burn up bout 15min.......then a couple really good home-cooked meal places to munch.....Get tired of the scoots, horseback trail riding place there in Kremmling also.
      Actually, the good eateries and horseback riding stables,etc. are in Grand Lake, 15min. north of Kremmling and 1mile south of Rocky Mountain Natl. Park entrance. This ride will take you in the Park over Trail Ridge Road and down on other side to Estes Park.
      BTW, Trail Ridge Road IS the highest elevation, continuous highway on this continent!
      Grand Lake IS the largest, highest elevation and deepest natural lake on this continent also, and ajoins next to town of Grand Lake!
      Granby Lake itself construction was started in 1949, and is between Kremmling and Grand Lake next to highway. IIRC, finished in 1952.

Actual depth of Grand Lake is unknown. Bottom of lake still has an existing glacier intact!

Colo. River actually starts in Rocky Mountain Natl. Park, and is 2in. wide!
      Last edited by motoman; 12-24-2016, 03:10 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The plan is to "hold" the rally at Wolford Reservoir which is only six miles north of Kremmling.

Walden was thrown into the discussion briefly when Greg was mistaken about where he had been last year. Still could do Walden though...

I like to what Joe had shared about the Walden KOA which is now privately owned. I might get a chance to take a ride up there in the car of course over the next couple weeks while I'm off from teaching and give it a look.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
          The plan is to "hold" the rally at Wolford Reservoir which is only six miles north of Kremmling.

Walden was thrown into the discussion briefly when Greg was mistaken about where he had been last year. Still could do Walden though...

I like to what Joe had shared about the Walden KOA which is now privately owned. I might get a chance to take a ride up there in the car of course over the next couple weeks while I'm off from teaching and give it a look.
          .......can, but it all will be covered in snow.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            With all this Bump-Bump-Bump i am beginning to think you are planning to take us up the one-way Old Fall River Road to the summit.
            you providing the Jeeps or the dirt bikes?

So yes, planning on 2017. I had a great time at the Echo Canyon Rally and the 4,353 mile xs11 ride. Luckily it was no an Adventure. As motoman stated: "it only becomes an Adventure when you break down". Lets all avoid hassling with an adventure.

If i can make it i plan to ride the Cache la Poudre (CO14) anyways. I like that beautiful ride along the river. fyi: I have booked a room in Kremmling Fri-Sat-Sun but can cancel if things change. If Rally ends up at Wolford Lake as first proposed then we gotta plan some time for Motoman to give us a 'Walking Tour' of Kremmling.

Can change to Walden or wherever. Have stayed before at North Park Inn & been to that Antlers / River Rock for food in the bustling metropolis of Walden. Pretty quiet place. Sidewalks roll up a sunset.

Jeff
            Sure would like to see you make this rally Jeff!.........whether it be aboard your XS11 or Gold Wing!

Comment

Sure would like to see you make this rally Jeff!.........whether it be aboard your XS11 or Gold Wing!
              You've amazingly showed up here at my place in Grand Junction on both the Gold Wing and XS11!

Comment

You've amazingly showed up here at my place in Grand Junction on both the Gold Wing and XS11!
                ......(sumptin' tells me you realy like LD rides!)

Comment

Bump ...Another two cents

Merry Christmas all,
                  It's nice to see the plans for the 2017 rally coming together , By happenstance I visited Granby and Grand Lake and Trail Ridge this Summer , As for Horse back riding the venerable " Sombrero Stables" had gone belly up...Small matter as we all have our own modern two wheeled horses !!
                  Another quick detour at the back side of Grand lake is Adams Falls, A short hike from the parking lot to the "falls" for those that might be interested .
                  Howard, If you decide to explore the Walden area in the near future , feel free to contact me if you want some company .
                  78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

Finally I am taking the ZRX apart to put in the ZZR higher compression pistons. Bought them from a ZRX forum member a number of years ago. Going very smoothly! Looking forward to filling in the flat spot in the power band between 2800-3500 RPM. The higher lift and duration ZZR cams need the extra compression compared to what the stock ZRX Pistons can provide. With the pistons and base gasket delete (very common ZRX mod, no issue with deck height being to short) that will bump me a full point of compression (to 11.0:1 static) and should bump my dynamic compression ratio back to where it needs to be so I don't have the reversion flat spot. Some guys will go with 12.5 to 1 compression ratio JE pistons but I don't want to go that high and depend solely on premium gas always, all the time.

Anyway, keep thinking rally thoughts!
                    Last edited by Bonz; 12-26-2016, 09:58 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

Finally I am taking the ZRX apart to put in the ZZR higher compression pistons. Bought them from a ZRX forum member a number of years ago. Going very smoothly! Looking forward to filling in the flat spot in the power band between 2800-3500 RPM. The higher lift and duration ZZR cams need the extra compression compared to what the stock ZRX Pistons can provide. With the pistons and base gasket delete (very common ZRX mod, no issue with deck height being to short) that will bump me a full point of compression (to 11.0:1 static) and should bump my dynamic compression ratio back to where it needs to be so I don't have the reversion flat spot. Some guys will go with 12.5 to 1 compression ratio JE pistons but I don't want to go that high and depend solely on premium gas always, all the time.

Anyway, keep thinking rally thoughts!
                      Hey Howard!
                      Hope the holidays were good to ya, and St. Nick brought ya something cool!

Sounds like you're making progress!
                      My EVO-flashed CPU is due back Thursday.
                      This is Steve's newest version. Managed to squeek out more HP, torque, and smoothness, compared to his earlier versions.
                      Guys are raving about how it transforms the bike's manners.

Now, if only the weather would cooperate for a test ride!
                      Yesterday it was 70.
                      Today it was 35.
                      Thursday/Friday supposed to be in the 20's w/ snow.

They say next week will be better, though.

C'mon summer!
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                        Hey Howard!
                        Hope the holidays were good to ya, and St. Nick brought ya something cool!

Sounds like you're making progress!
                        My EVO-flashed CPU is due back Thursday.
                        This is Steve's newest version. Managed to squeek out more HP, torque, and smoothness, compared to his earlier versions.
                        Guys are raving about how it transforms the bike's manners.

Now, if only the weather would cooperate for a test ride!
                        Yesterday it was 70.
                        Today it was 35.
                        Thursday/Friday supposed to be in the 20's w/ snow.

They say next week will be better, though.

C'mon summer!
                        ........workin' on it Bob. Meanwhile, got some more white stuff to throw your direction. No white stuff here in the valley and a lot of folks are still riding here with day temps. in the high 40's. A test ride for ya' oughta' be comin' soon.

Comment

Hey Brant! Good to hear from ya!
                          Hope Anita and the kids are well.

Thanks for sending the white stuff... heard on the radio on the way home from work flurries here tomorrow. Friday's high- 28.

But next Tuesday's looking good! Supposed to be back in the 50's.
                          I just hate it when it goes from 70 one day, to the 20's the next.
                          Those 50 degree temp swings make me feel old...

Flashed ECU should be here by 11:00am tomorrow!

Take care!
                          Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Noticed that rmdcguy mentioned Walden(the one that rolls up street@7pm).

Well.........this morning was a record low for this time of year.....-48F.
                            Secong was Craig........-36F.
                            Kinda reminded me of walking county road a half mile to school bus in Craig
                            when I was a kid........-55F! But, of course was still invincible then too..

You all stay warm now!.

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                              Hey Brant! Good to hear from ya!
                              Hope Anita and the kids are well.

Thanks for sending the white stuff... heard on the radio on the way home from work flurries here tomorrow. Friday's high- 28.

But next Tuesday's looking good! Supposed to be back in the 50's.
                              I just hate it when it goes from 70 one day, to the 20's the next.
                              Those 50 degree temp swings make me feel old...

Flashed ECU should be here by 11:00am tomorrow!

Take care!
                              Bob
                              You take care also Bob!............Ohhh! A deep freeze comin' right behind that storm front!

Comment

You take care also Bob!............Ohhh! A deep freeze comin' right behind that storm front!
                                Brant,

I got my EVO flashed cpu back and reinstalled.
                                All is A-ok. Fired up, sounds great.
                                Too cold to test ride.
                                Tomorrow (Mon) through Thursday's supposed to be great again... Wed's high of 70! So I'll test ride it this week.

Then... the bottom falls out again, and we may be in for a bad 4 day stretch of rain, ice, and snow. Friday through Monday's looking rough.

But, compared to the temps you're saying... It's srill like springtime here...

Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X