2011 ColoRally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wildfires

I'm a little worried - the wildfires in AZ and NM keep spreading - I still remember when Mesa Verde burned....

I don't want our Rally affected!

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• I'm a little worried - the wildfires in AZ and NM keep spreading - I still remember when Mesa Verde burned....

I don't want our Rally affected!

Which time JW........did it twice....two years apart. Anyway, won't have any effect around the area of Durango and surrounding area. Do have a bit of that haze passin' through up here in the G.Junction area....to be expected with the prevailing winds though. It's ALL good, not to worry, your trip up here WILL be worth while!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I do wish we could come! Would like to meet some of the folks that have helped so much with Karla's XJ!

We are however already committed to riding NC at the end of July, so the budget (and time off work) just won't allow us to do this too.
        Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
        Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

• No worries Smash, sure there's enough folks that'll "take in" what you'll be missin. There'll be some pics I'm sure.......but that'll be just a tease I'm sure.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Motoman, it's only a little over 350 miles to Denver from Durango; make a nice post-rally day trip.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

• My son, Chris and I are touring Co this week. We'll be in MesaVerde tomorrow. Would be nice to meet you at some point.
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

• Nice choice for some fun riding. If you happen to go north up the DoloresRiver canyon to Ridgeway then highway 50north to G.Junction(only 90mi. from Ridgeway), give me a shout(cell 970-640-7221). That is if your plans take you up this direction to I-70. Retired and home most all the time, so timing is not an issue! BTW, Durango north on highway 550 is an awesome ride over CoalBank and RedMountain to Ouray and on up to Ridgeway that way also!
                Last edited by motoman; 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Plan to see mesaverde then back to durango then up 550 to montrose. I'll give a shout sometime today.
                  Darrell
                  78E
                  80G project
                  06FJR

Comment

• GaleB not coming

Just heard from GaleB - he can't make the rally as he has to take an out of town job.... Lisa and I will be getting a hotel there in Albuquerque instead and looking up some other retired Navy buddies...

Those Mesa Verde fires were in 2000 and 2003 - we went thru in 2000 just before and there was alot of fire evidence from lightening fire in the 90's.

Its a wonder those Anasazi were able to live there with all that fire activity - they must have had a few Fire Injuns

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

• Plan to see mesaverde then back to durango then up 550 to montrose. I'll give a shout sometime today.
                      Ride safe.............your gonna get wet, so be prepared! Also, being upwards quite some bit, after it rains, temps can drop some 20degrees for a short bit.....just a word from the wise!

Comment

• Meet Newc4 and his son late this morning. They came by my place and vivited for 30min. Super nice folks! He's riding a Feejer(FJR) and his son is riding FZ6 Yammy. Them boys are covering some serious miles coming from Virginia! Don't get much better than doing a LD ride with your son! They were headed up over the GrandMesa then up over McClurePass to Carbondale, the up Interstate to Wolcott, north to SteamboatSprings then on up to RockyMountainNat'lPark over TrailRidge(highest state highway in the U.S.) to EstesPark and whatever else the can cover. Two days prior, they had alrady coveredMesaVerdePark down south, then over RedMountainPass, then jumped over to Moab,Utah and ArchesNat'lPark! They DEFINITELY are poundin' out some serious miles and the most variety of riding that can be had!.....Just thought I'd pass that on since it was started here....

Comment

• work during rally

Will any one be working on bikes at the rally or just emergency repairs? I have one of my xs's that needs the second gear repair done and would like it if someone that has done it a time or two was there to help or offer guidance.
                          79 xs11sf
                          80 xs11g-bagger
                          81 xs11g-project(trike/chop?)
                          80 xs400 special(wife's trainer)

Comment

• Tools

You gonna be pulling a trailer with all the tools and such needed to do this repair? You gonna need all of the three day weekend too.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

• Unless it's an emergency, don't think we wanna be tearin' down a scoot at the campground. You CAN ride it as is, just skippin' to third if second is the issue, or take off in second if first is the issue. Heck, rode mine 240miles with a pin fallen out and only had fifth.....with three stops along the way........adapt and overcome as these scoots only NEED a lower gear to get started and the tall one to 'roll'. Like Planedick said, better have ALL the correct tools and a good long week-end and lots of beverage under not the best conditions.
                              Last edited by motoman; 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• sounds like a good excuse for another MOM

I think there might need to be another MOM rally near end of summer up in Colorado or Kansas......

We sure enjoyed the one in Texas.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X