2011 ColoRally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 ColoRally

Any plans yet for a 2011 rally? I know I saw somewhere talk of maybe a different location, like Colorado or something? Anyone picking dates or making plans...my boss is asking me what vacation I'm planning to take...
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Tentatively planning a rally in southwestern Colo. Durango to be the "gathering " place, United Campground to hang and trade lies..........thinkin July4 weekend.........
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Im in

I dont know if I can make it out to Co. but I will be thinking about another central cali ride about the same time 2nd weekend of june?
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Colorado sounds good

Howdy Motoman,,,,the Colorado rally and time sound good to me, count me in. A change of scenery for the rallies would be nice, also will attract some Xs members from the mid states too. Lookin forward to any details you have, rides, elevations, weather etc of the area,,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

I'm in for the fourth, its close enough to my birthday that I can claim the rally as my "present".

Figure I'd leave Wednesday afternoon, and do about 200 miles, then 350 or so on Thursday and Friday, get to Durango Friday Evening.

Lets make it happen!
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Central Cal Rally

I just posted our intention to be a part of the June 2011 (2nd weekend) rally. Can't do Colorado due to familial commitments.

Is this where the California 2011 rally info will be, or is it just for Colorado? Geographically speaking, I believe that Colorado doesn't fall into the sourthwest category, BICBW.

Ralph

Comment

Actually Ralph, geographically, that area IS considered the southwest catagory. Grew up there as did my Venturer, and that is now my backyard on a regular basis for some fun day jaunts on some of the most scenic 10-12,000ft. smooth, wide mountain twisties that can be had. Also believe the 2011CalyRally interest has just been carried into from the last CalyRally threads.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

So are we for sure going to be at United Campground in Durango? Do they have a website or anything. I'm wanting to make reservations because I'm a bit worried they'll fill up fast being that its a holiday weekend.

Any other details? Routes or anything? It looks like my parents are going to be in town so I'll have 2, possibly 3 other riders with me, if I can get SWMBO's bike running again before then.

I'm starting to get excited, I love a good long ride!
                1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

I'm going to be down that direction next weekend and was planning on stopping there and talking with Tim and Sheri tentatively setting this all up. Will post some updates. Jerry will be giving me a hand on the puter end , so will be posting an official announcement with the info and some pics. Yes, they do have a website. Just google United Campground in Durango, Colo. This is all still planned for 4th July weekend.

Comment

A couple notes on the Colorado 2011 Rally..

Motoman and I have had a few discussions on setting this up. In additon to the campground, which will be the headquarters, Durango has numerous hotels and motels, and lots of eateries. Local attractions include the Durange - Silverton Barrow Gauge Railway, and Durango is not that far from Mesa Verde National Park. Another steam ralway in the area is the Cumbres and Toltec, runs from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO. Chama was the site of one of the first XS 11 rallies here in the west.

My point is that if any of you are considering a vacation in the area in attition to attending the rally, let Motoman or me know and we can help steer you to some other things to see or other rides to take. There is much to do in the area; a trip to Taos is kind of fun as well. There are local rides in the area for short trips, such as to Vallacito Resevoir, or longer ones, such as going over Wolf Creek Pass. Unfortunatly, Wolf Creek is outside the scope of this particular rally. For the folks who like twistes, I am told the run from Cortez to Dove Creek provides plenty. Have not been on that route yet. If you want to arrive early or stay later these are rides to consider.

The main rides we had planned are Red Mountain Pass and Dolores Canyon. Red Mountain was featured on Speed channel 2 weeks ago in a segment called Dangerous Roads. (It isn't all that dangerous. Rides will include stopping points for photo opps and, if you wish, as short (75 - 100 yard) walk to at least one old mine site that is still pretty intact. Its near the top of Red Mountain Pass, and is quite picturesque.

This rally is aimed more at sight-seeing than speed runs, so distances traveled will be relatively short, probably less than 150 miles per day.

I hope to get a web page up with pertinent details, maps, and contact information soon. Don't hesitate to contact either Motoman or myself if you have any questions!
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I am planning to make this one but me, Columbo, and plans ....
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'll be there, unless the money and job runs out! I WILL NOT be on an XS1100, though. The BMW will be a better machine for the QUICK ride out and back! I need to keep the "time off work" down, as I do NOT get paid when I don't work. It will be nice to ride the roads, though. last time was in a car, and the MNS on a trailer with a bunch of other stuff.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

July 1-4, 2011

is rally time in Durango, Colo. I have the group tenting reserved. Those attending and tenting at the United Campground should call as soon as you know your able to make the rally. Helps with the headcount to locate group. Those that may need the use of an RV space should call ASAP as the spaces ARE going quick for that time period. I would venture to say those using motel accomodations should make reservations ASAP also. SWMBO and I will have a RV spot, as I will pulling a train(fifth-wheel & trailered bike the 170mi. over Red Mountain Pass and a couple other speed bumps to there. Durango's United Campground phone #: 970-247-3853. Can also Google their website for info. When contacting the campground , be sure and tell them you are part of the XS11 group whether tenting or RV. More to come with Jerry Fields puter help and such. Hope this helps for those who have to make summer travel plans early!

Comment

Rally page up!

OK.

Just put up a 2011 Colorado XS11 Rally page. Pretty basic, but has some (I hope) useful links and information such as dates, location, tentative schedule, links to hotls and motels, and links to area restaraunts. Page link is:

http://www.appleattic.net/xs11.htm

I'll be adding a few more things, like what to wear and local average temps and weather conditions.

Let me know what you would like to see on this page if it is not already there.

Also, it would be helpful to Motoman and me if you would let us know if you plan to attend; due to the nature of the rides we may want to split into 2 groups.

You will notice that I put the Red Mountain Pass ride on Friday; this is due to the large amount of holiday traffic expected on Saturday. Lizard head will likely be less traveled so it has been moved to the Saturday slot. This is not set in stone, depending on how we make final arrangements.

More to come!
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

It all looks good,

Thanks for all the info Jerry and Motoman,,,,,just looking at the links I start to drool, so different from what he have out west in Sun Diego. Hope the XS'rs out east also see the rally info. I plan on being there, put me down for the western dinner deal. I can see lots of pics being taken.....nice scenery. Does it help to run Premium at those altitudes or is regular ok?? Also, what are the average temps. at the campsite and on the roads travelled? I just want to be prepared..............Mike in Sun DIego
                              mike
                              1982 xj1100 maxim
                              1981 venture bagger
                              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                              1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                              X