2011 ColoRally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,
    The Higher you go, the lower the octane you need. Just run regular, and be happy with the "good" gas available outside Can'tafordya!
    Jerry,
    As you will have a ride Friday, I guess I'll need to to try and get out one day earlier than I had planed. I just hope you don't mind a BMW in the crowd, as I will need to get out and back in a hurry, and the BMW is the best I have running for the job.
    I just need to find out who is staying in what motel so we can try and ride together from there.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Soccer-4m, Regular fuel fine....(sometimes I think these olo' scoots would run on kerosene). Nites at camp be in the 60's.....daytime 80-low 90's(remember, no humidity). Riding can be the same until going up in elevation. Saturdays 220 mile group ride will vary from that to 65-70's in the mountains. If there's afternoon scattered showers, temps on the passes drop AFTER rain. Temps can drop to 45-50's for a bit in a hurry. The best suggestion I can make for this type riding being a native is to initally dress in REMOVABLE layers. Pretty much come prepared for 3 out of 4 seasons, winter excluded of course. Very similar to Santa Margarita's KOA area....minus the slight humidity for those who past attended there if that helps. The scoots need NO re-jetting as the CV carbs do a good job up to 12,000ft. if all else is good. .......Run what cha' brung!
      Last edited by motoman; 02-21-2011, 11:19 PM. Reason: add info
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Pretty much come prepared for 3 out of 4 seasons, winter excluded of course.
        Seems to me the guys that did the Pike's Peak side trip, after the ride into Cripple Creek, the year we met at Colorado Springs, also ran into the 4th season!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

That it can over there. Can do wierd things there.........been there and been caught like that too. This area, not as likely as it can be in Aug.- Sept. Had that happen first year I bought the Venturer new. Made a three day loop around the state first week off August and third day headed back to Durango got hit with 6in. of wet-white stuff on top of Wolf Creek Pass. Didn't dare stop for fear of feet slipping and dropping a fully loaded scoot and passenger. By the time we made it the 20 some miles off that hill to Pagosa Springs we both had a bit of hypothermia, soaking wet and chattering teeth trying to warm up in a coffee shop.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Couple changes to rally page

Motoman and I have had further discussions, and have decided to combine the 2 proposed routes (Red Mountain, Lizard Head Pass) into a single round trip on Saturday, July 2nd.

Friday: Arrive and meet and greet
            Saturday: Pass Loop
            Sunday ?
            Monday: Depart

This leaves Sunday as kind of empty. Please let me know if you plan to stay through Sunday - we assume many people will be heading home and have not planned any "official" trips. However, I will be in the area and would be up for a ride over Wolf Creek Pass (190 miles) if there is any inerest. There are a couple short trips available as well.

2 ways to get to the rally page:
            http://www.appleattic.net/xs11.htm
            http://www.appleattic.net/ and click on the XS 11 Rally link.

AppleAttic.net is my home page, and the Galleries link at the top of the page will take you to photo albums of past XS 11 rallies as well as the XS 11 Owner's gallery. (Not everything is labled yet, some photos have generic titles but I will be working on this in the future.) As ever, if you have photos you would like to add to any of these albums, send them to me.

Things are moving along!
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Native contact onfo.

Anyone who may have specific questions of the area feel free to call me anytime(retired) at 970-640-7221 or e-mail me at brperson@msn.com. Since growing up there hunting, 4-wheelin, skiing alpine/Xcountry, and trail riding/single trak/moto-X extensively over the years, hopefully should be able to answer questions covering a vast variety of subjects and definitely some hair-raising events from ALL of the above activities! Looking forward to the get-together come July!
              Last edited by motoman; 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

I've added a couple more links and cleaned up the rally page a bit. New links are about the San Juan Scenic Bypass (our proposed trip) and more about Hwy 550, the Million Dollar Highway. Take a look if you are interested.

Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

Looking forward to coming to the Rally, it's on the calendar as of now. Looks like Captonzap and I will be making the trek together from the Front Range of Colorado on our respective XS mobiles.

FYI, Durango has (in the past, I assume they still do) a fantastic 4th of July Fireworks show that goes on down by the river. I know the rally ends on Monday, but if you are so inclined (and weather/conditions permitting) the fireworks are worth seeing. Everyone goes down by the river, plenty of open grassy space, and you can lay on your back or sit in a chair/on the ground and watch the fireworks go off right above you. Pretty cool.

I went in 2004 or 2005, and they had cancelled the fireworks the year before because of the crazy dry conditions (fire danger) so they had a double long show. Extra nice to see!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Good to hear the numbers attending from different locations! Maybe could get Skids to join ya for the ride there.....even if he was aboard the STeed we'd still let him swap lies. Looks like members attending is already double what I expected!

Comment

It'll be July in the desert. The last time I rode that way the midway refueling point was a lone gas station next to a Dineh diner out in the middle of nowhere.

I was talking with Roo last week and we're probably going to take it in stages: ride the 40 to Flagstaff, rest and rehydrate, then head out early in the morning to cross the deadly desert and head up to Durango. There are a lot of miles out there with no gas stations for Roo's Special to deal with so we'll both have to pack extra fuel.
                      -- Scott
                      _____
                      ♬
                      2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                      ♬

Comment

The Keyente to Cortez section will likely be where you'll need the extra fuel. Flagstaff to Keyente has a few places along the way, should'nt be an issue. Flag to Durango normally 5hrs. in a cage.

Comment

Back to the jetting question... Yes, run what ya' brung, otherwise half the guys coming from the lowlands will get into the carbs, change the jetting, and start spewing gas out the airbox or the carb gaskets and miss the meet!

RUN WHAT YA' BRUNG! A little rich is never a bad thing!

For what it's worth, I run 107.5 mains in my 80 Special here where I live at around 7500 feet of elevation. Can't tell one cent of difference between 107.5's and the stock 110's that I ran for a year or two after getting the bike.

Just that the XS 1100 when properly carb sync'd and otherwise tuned is the smoothest in-line 4 cyl I've owned by a huge margin. Bandit 1200 and Kawasaki ZRX 1200 are the one's I'm comparing to.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

update

I've made a few changes to the Colorado Rally page at

Still an amature at HTML, but getting there. I added a slide show and tweaked the page a bit.

If you are fairly certain you will be there, send me your name / handle and I'll compose a list of "probable attendees" and post it on the same page. If you can, include your home state or city.

Thanks!
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.

Comment

anybody doing T-shirts for Durango Rally?

I can send cash in advance...

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Keep the cash.............just bring the t-shirts!

Comment

Working...
                                X