Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAGGER How To?

XS Folks,
    I'm trying to get the bike ready for XS-SE. I've owned probably 20+ street bikes but never took one on any sort of an "over-nighter". I once drove my KZ750 from Norfolk, VA to my home in the Poconos, PA (about 400 miles) and swore I would never do such a thing again. That bike was really not made for long rides. I've never driven any sort of long distance with a passenger (maybe 50 miles maximum). The ride to Iron Horse is probably about 200 miles for me.

My wife is kinda excited about getting out on the bike and going to XS-SE. She mentioned it to a co worker and he DONATED a set of soft-bags to the project. I've never owned a bike with bags or a sissy-bar for that matter. I'm guessing these bags were made for a crotch-rocket and not for a old cruiser.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to work for me?

I've searched around the site and found a couple pics of XS11's with bags. Seems there is a Vetter set that looks and fits the bikes nicely. I was not able to find any threads for "Newbie Travelers" that could help a guy like me find and install the right stuff. Whatever I put on I would like to be easy to get off so the bike can be in stock form for local use.

Any suggestions about preparing for the XS-SE ride would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I suggest you and the wife take some day trips or short 1/2 day rides together so you get some experiences in before you set off 2 up to the Iron Horse...soft luggage isnt bad but there isnt alot of storage capacity...if you can find some hard bags and a top trunk then you might be have enough capacity to pull it off...if you dont have a full fairing then a plexiglass windscreen is still a good idea...riding 200 miles fighting headwinds will get tiring quickly.. heres a pic from the XSSE rally 2013...3 different styles of wind screens/mini...midi and maxi...mine is the middle bike...wind protection is pretty good on the road...in addition a good backrest for the wife might also be a good idea...
      Last edited by madmax-im; 07-11-2015, 06:38 AM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hard Bag Model Numbers?

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        I suggest you and the wife take some day trips or short 1/2 day rides together .........heres a pic from the XSSE rally 2013...3 different styles of wind screens/mini...midi and maxi...mine is the middle bike...wind protection is pretty good on the road...in addition a good backrest for the wife might also be a good idea...
        Madmax-im,
        We're planning on a couple local rides. The ride to Warm Springs GA (little White House) is a nice low-key ride of about 30-40 miles from home and we're planning on doing that as soon as the bike is drive-able. Warm Springs seems to attract a LOT of bikers as the roads are nice & curvy and the traffic is very light. We've driven around the neighborhood to a couple local parks on the Maxim 550 but that is almost too far for that little bike.

I'll also need to get a little highway practice in with a passenger too as I've never done that before either.

I got the back rest installed yesterday after modifying the mounting brackets to fit the XS. The wife sat on the bike and likes the back rest.

It looks like your bike and the one to the left of it have the same type/style hard bags? What is the brand & model number of those? I'll start searching for some.............

One of the reasons the only long ride I ever took was so uncomfortable was because of the wind. After about 50 miles, the novelty and fun of "wind in your face" is no longer an enjoyment. I'll start looking for one of the mini windscreens too.

Sincerely,
        Kurt
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

The XS1100 Special is not a very good touring bike and was never meant to be. Having said that, I've put up with the shortcomings and toured all over the place on mine. If you like the way a Special looks as I do, then putting proper touring luggage on it is going to detract from that appearance.

That soft luggage you have on there now is perfect for XS Southeast! I assume you have a room, and that means no camping gear. You need a change of underwear and a toothbrush. How much space does that take? You need to have rain gear. It will rain. It almost always does. It rains most years at this event, but we've had only one day wash out since 2002. It late September, it can be hot or cold and likely it will be hot and cold. Some sort of windscreen would be nice, but not necessary. If no screen then pack better rain gear.

Back to that soft luggage. You need to get it off the suspension and you're done. Build a support for it. You need something like this:

These may work and bolt straight up to the frame under the grab rail.

When the trip is over, the junk comes off and you have a lovely Special to tool around town on.

I have my own cure for the inadequacies of the XS Special. It's called another bike!
          Last edited by jetmechmarty; 07-11-2015, 07:15 AM.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

FYI those are Yamaha OEM Hard bags...I dont have a part # though...the windscreen can be taken off...its a Plexistar 2 or 3...you should be able to find one for around $200 brand new...it does a great job deflecting the winds off you....with the hard bags I have just enough room for all my gear but then I still need an additional seat bag that straps down to the rear luggage rack...I pack as minimally as possible...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 07-11-2015, 07:18 AM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

a good bit of advice is that whatever gear you select or install on your bike...dont wait until the day of the big trip to find out something failed because you didnt do a trial run or shakedown to see what will or will not work...BTDT on more than one occaision...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Special Trip Planning.....

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                The XS1100 Special is not a very good touring bike and was never meant to be................ When the trip is over, the junk comes off and you have a lovely Special to tool around town on.
                MadMax-im & Marty,
                Thanks for the info. That bracketry to keep the bags off the suspension is something I could relatively easily fabricate in the machine shop at work. As stated, for only Friday & Saturday night we don't need much stuff. I also LOVE the looks of a stock Yamaha Special. I definitely want to pull that stuff off quickly and easily once the trip is done.

We frequently take an overnighter to Destin during the off-season and I am looking forward to Alabama Rt. 431 & Rt. 231 on the XS11. If all goes well to/from XSSE we'll be doing a Florida trip too.....

Kurt
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I'm going to try and be there this year with my XS (not the Harley). It will all depend on whether or not I get my problems fixed.
                  1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                  2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

I wonder if they still have rooms at Iron Horse? I would love to go if my bike is ready.

Bill
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

• Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
                      I wonder if they still have rooms at Iron Horse? I would love to go if my bike is ready.

Bill
                      They seem to always have room in their campground. Last year I decided to go at the last minute and just brought a tent.
                      1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                      2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post

Bill
                        In addition to tenting, the Tuskeegee Motel is five miles up route 28 and the Kickstand Lodge is two miles down route 28. There should still be a few beds left, but there won't be if you wait much longer. The links to the motel and lodge are on the Facebook page. I hope you can make it.

I'm taking tee shirt orders, in case you missed the thread.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

• Folks...we're only 8 weeks away!
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• XS Southeast Soon

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                            Folks...we're only 8 weeks away!
                            Get your rooms and order your T-Shirt ASAP!
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• First I've heard of it, need to work on vaca time, generally just using this post to bookmark the thread.
                              "Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

• Closing in

TICK TOCK!

September 25-27, 2015

Good News. I have heard from Charlie Haas and Steve Scott. They both are planning to attend again this year. For you new guys, Charlie was one of Bob Jones' good friends and riding buddies back in the day. Steve owns several of Bob Jones' custom bikes. He brought some of them to the rally last year. There is even a rumor that Karla Jones may attend this year. Looking forward to seeing all of the XSives this year.
                                Last edited by MPittma100; 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM.
                                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                                K&N Air Filter
                                ACCT
                                Custom Paint by Deitz
                                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                                EBC Front Rotors
                                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment