XS Southeast 2015 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally in 93 Days

Howdy XSives, WELL, I guess its time to quit goofing off so much and start planning our SE RALLY.

Only about 90 days till 'Show Time' and got lots to do. The usual suspects met a couple months ago to discuss things but that's about it, except that this years Shirt is designed. (more on that later).

- We got the WHEN: Sept 25-26-27-28
    - We got the WHERE: Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge, Stecoah NC

No complicated rides this year with a lot of turns (like we did Saturday going over to Etowah Tenn or Sunday to Hot Springs NC last year).
    This year for Saturday likely just NC28 Highlands then Cashiers and Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Sunday to Tellico Plains like we did a couple years ago. Still real great rides and challenging roads.

So thing is for you to "be there". Whether on an XS11, or any vintage japanese or two wheeled whatever plus via car, truck, motor-home is good too.
    Iron Horse can accommodate.

> Team SE will hopefully meet soon and then post more details and get a shirt thread going too.
    > I thought it was about time to post an update so you know we are not asleep at the wheel down here (because we have been).
    > Its not too late to book at Iron Horse or Tuskeegee Motel so if you are interested just "Do It".

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      hanks for the update.As you know many of us are already booked.
      Looking forward to it. Must get Addie sorted out.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Rode my 11 first time since 2011,running on three cyls,I had my foot fused so up shifting I have to pretty well lift my whole leg especially 1st to second,down shifting is a bit easier.
        I wanna ride there for sure,it's not that far,350 miles.So camping there could be a last minute thing ya think?
        Thanks for the update.
        '80 XS1100 SG
        Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
          Rode my 11 first time since 2011,running on three cyls,I had my foot fused so up shifting I have to pretty well lift my whole leg especially 1st to second,down shifting is a bit easier.
          I wanna ride there for sure,it's not that far,350 miles.So camping there could be a last minute thing ya think?
          Thanks for the update.
          This is great news! If you're willing to pitch a tent, you can wait until the last minute. You just have to contact the Iron Horse a few days before about Friday and Saturday dinner.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Rode my 11 first time since 2011 ....
            Right on! Get that missing cylinder fixed and you'll have Magic Carpet Mode back again too!

-- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

"you dont know...what we could find...why dontcha come with me little girl...on a magic carpet ride...."
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                "you dont know...what we could find...why dontcha come with me little girl...on a magic carpet ride...."
                Ah, so you've ridden an XS1100 too!

-- Scott
                _____
                ♬
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                ♬

Comment

I don't think it is carb related since I am not leaking gas out of the air box..maybe a bad plug wire.Coils came off a vr 1000 honda. Will pull plugs tomorrow to narrow it down to the right cyl.
                  My skills are pretty rusty but you don't wanna be a noobie on these bikes especially fully dressed.
                  Once I get a few miles under my belt.....I will say I still got it.
                  Scott..I am much better from when you saw me last on the Ohio River with Don
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkP5gTX6Hc
                  '80 XS1100 SG
                  Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

I needed, thaat!

Clap for the Wolfman!

-- Scott
                    _____
                    ♬
                    ♬

Comment

Trailer from ATL Area to Rally?

Atlanta Area XS Guys,

Is anyone dragging a trailer to the rally with an open slot available? I would make a donation to the vehicle's fuel costs if so.

I would like to take/drive my XS11 but I'm not really sure it will be ready I don't want to be a spectator without a bike -

Now that I pretty much have all the "missing pieces" for my XS, it's time to start on the more demanding and delicate work. I will be pulling the head off the XS11 later today to address the bad head gasket. If all goes well; and I am also able to get the valves properly adjusted, and get some sort of an exhaust rigged up until the SS exhaust is done, and I've had enough time to make sure it runs properly, and the tires are good, and the brakes are good.... if all that happens.... I'll drive the XS to NC with the bride on the back

Otherwise, the only bike I have is the XJ550 Maxim. It looks good and runs GREAT! But it's not a long-ride 200 mile highway bike.

I do have a lawn trailer that I hauled the XS home from Alabama with my 2.3 liter I-4 Honda Accord. However, that trip thoroughly taught me that it was much too demanding on my little Accord's motor. My stable is full of I-4 Accords (4) and a Trans Am & Z-28 which could each pull a tractor trailer full of XS11's but there's no hitch on either (YET).

If you're somewhere in the ATL region, with an open slot on a trailer, that you're already taking, please let me know.

KURT
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

I don't think it is carb related since I am not leaking gas out of the air box..maybe a bad plug wire.Coils came off a vr 1000 honda. Will pull plugs tomorrow to narrow it down to the right cyl.
                        My skills are pretty rusty but you don't wanna be a noobie on these bikes especially fully dressed.
                        Once I get a few miles under my belt.....I will say I still got it.
                        Scott..I am much better from when you saw me last on the Ohio River with Don
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtkP5gTX6Hc
                        Noiiicee...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I just called in my reservation and was not able to get a semi-private cabin. If you are planning on going and don't camp or bunkhouse, better get on it!
                          I'm looking forward to this ride!
                          Mark

Comment

Dont forget the Tuskeegee Motel...it is 5 miles away but if you want a roof over your head it is an inexpensive option.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Private Room Confirmed.

I just got my room confirmed! Hopefully, I won't be the spectator & wife without a bike! But, considering where the Ugly Duckling Started, I should be able to get 'er done!
                              KURT
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                              1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                              1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                              2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                                I just got my room confirmed! Hopefully, I won't be the spectator & wife without a bike! But, considering where the Ugly Duckling Started, I should be able to get 'er done!
                                KURT
                                Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                                Atlanta Area XS Guys,

Is anyone dragging a trailer to the rally with an open slot available? I would make a donation to the vehicle's fuel costs if so.

I would like to take/drive my XS11 but I'm not really sure it will be ready I don't want to be a spectator without a bike -

SS exhaust is done, and I've had enough time to make sure it runs properly, and the tires are good, and the brakes are good.... if all that happens.... I'll drive the XS to NC with the bride on the back

Otherwise, the only bike I have is the XJ550 Maxim. It looks good and runs GREAT! But it's not a long-ride 200 mile highway bike.

If you're somewhere in the ATL region, with an open slot on a trailer, that you're already taking, please let me know.

KURT
                                FLORIDA & ATLANTA AREA SE Rally Goers

Normal routine the past 3-4 years has been: On Thursday afternoon I ride from Atlanta to Days Inn - Cornelia. The Florida riders meet me there Thursday afternoon. Friday AM Brent joins us about 9AM then we pickup jetmech enroute. Whole group rides up to Iron Horse together. Stop for BBQ lunch. Since we are Planning & Hosting the Rally we get to I-H by 2:30pm to 3pm to set up.

So that is an option. Beat the ATL traffic and ride up Thurs afternoon Sept 24th to Cornelia then ride up to Iron Horse with us on Friday.

Good Luck with your XS project. Sure hope you can get all set by Sept 24 so you can join us in Cornelia.

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X