No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2015 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sitting in the Carolina Barbecue in Cashiers right now. We may be putting this place back on the Saturday ride schedule. Wendy's is walking distance if you prefer. This place is still very good.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Hi Marty,
      The food stops are always a highlight of your rallies
      I can get Wendy's any time....but don't
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
        Hey Ian:

My wife (surprisingly) and I decided this trip was bucket list item for me, so I'm going down from Detroit.

I was apprehensive about the long ride as well, so I am going to trailer it down.

I wish I could offer a trailer space, but my cheap Harbor Freight / homemade trailer can only accommodate one bike.
        Hi Mike,
        If you want to ride down. Do some practice days to build up your distance. If you leave on Thursday afternoon you can break it into more manageable day rides. Then decide if you need to leave on Sunday afternoon to break up the return. Know your limits and do what suits you best but as Greg has said the ride there and back is part of the adventure.
        Hope to see you there
        Phil
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Thanks!

I appreciate the encouragement from Greg and Phil!
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Keeping in mind that your wife is coming, the trailer is probably a fine idea. There will be plenty of riding at the rally and she won't want to miss out on that. Also, there are folks coming from Michigan, Ohio, and Ontario every year. We should be able to arrange a rendezvous for anyone looking for one. Several of them are not active or not members of this forum.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Event has been created on FB. I think you can click on GOING if you have a FB account. It may help us get a count.

XS Southeast 2015
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                Keeping in mind that your wife is coming, the trailer is probably a fine idea.
                Actually Louann encouraged me to go, and I twisted her arm to come with me, but she will be at home taking care of the dogs. She hardly ever rides with me anymore because her back gives her so much trouble, despite the backrest.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Planning my route

Since work precludes me from attend the EAST rally this spring, I've been dreaming even more about the SE rally this fall.
                  Last year, I took a little advice from Phil and detoured off my super-slab ride there and enjoyed a few hours in the twisties before arriving about 6pm.
                  This year I think I might take an extra day and ride down the Blue Ridge all the way from the VA/NC line.

"It's not so much about the destination as it is about the journey getting there!"
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                    Since work precludes me from attend the EAST rally this spring, I've been dreaming even more about the SE rally this fall.
                    Last year, I took a little advice from Phil and detoured off my super-slab ride there and enjoyed a few hours in the twisties before arriving about 6pm.
                    This year I think I might take an extra day and ride down the Blue Ridge all the way from the VA/NC line.

"It's not so much about the destination as it is about the journey getting there!"
                    exactly...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post

Hi George,
                      That sounds like an excellent plan. My plan is to take an extra day for the ride home to enjoy some of the roads in the N Carolina/ Virginia .
                      Phil
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        It's only 550 miles for you Mike. 1 day.

The ride to and from is a big part of the adventure IMHO.

It's 850 miles for me (nearly 2 days) and I've done it 3 times. Enjoyed every minute.
                        Every minute? Really?
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Iron Horse Bound I hope

I’m working with the Iron Horse inn now on the reservations. Really looking forward to the rides this year. My cousin Doug will be with me this year on his 78. Last week I sent 2 days riding an 81 XS850 with less the 3K on the clock thru the Tehachapi Mountains and around the Analope Valley near Lancaster CA. I’ll tell ya all about it around the camp fire.

Dave
                          wingnut
                          81 SH (Daily Ride)
                          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Plan on it!

Now that I am four hours and two tanks away, I'll be there.
                            1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
                            Braded stainless brake lines
                            4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
                            V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
                            Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
                            Vetter Windjammer III faring
                            Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
                            James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

If you want a bed at the Iron Horse, the time to make your reservation is now.
                              Kickstand Lodge is two miles away and has bunkhouses. Tuskeegee Motel is six miles away and a few choose to stay here.

If you're going to pitch a tent, you can wait until the last minute.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Hi Marty,
                                Thanks for showing the alternatives.
                                Surely the bunk house at Iron Horse is not fully booked yet?
                                To any newbies coming to this event I highly recommend staying " on site" at Iron Horse there is a lot going on.
                                Kick Stand is a fine, more rustic, facility with a comfortable bunkhouse which I have used but is not on site.
                                Phil
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                                X