X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News from the Iron Horse.

11/7/14
    Greetings from Ironhorse!
    If you are receiving this email, then we have you listed as the contact person for your group(s). As you know, we currently have a “hold” placed on our rooms/cabins/campground for your upcoming stay with us in 2015. We have agreed to hold these until January 15, 2015. After that time, if we have not heard from the members of your group(s), we will release the hold on our lodgings to the general public. Please spread the word to your group(s) that they need to contact us as soon as possible before January 15, 2015, if they want to ensure a reservation for next year’s event. Attached to this email is a list of those who have already reserved for next year and what is also still available at this time. We look forward to seeing all of you in 2015!

Thanks,
    Pam
    Ironhorse
    828-479-3864
    info@ironhorsenc.com
    Here is what's open:

XS 11 Sept 25,26,27
    UNITS NAME
    Lodge 101 XXX
    Lodge 102 open
    Lodge 103 XXX
    Lodge 104 N/A
    101 XXX
    102 XXX
    103 open
    104 open
    201 open
    202 XXX
    203 open
    204 open
    301 open
    302 open
    303 open
    304 XXX
    401 XXX
    402 XXX
    403 XXX
    Homestead, Rm 1 XXX
    Homestead, Rm 2 XXX
    Homestead, Rm 3 XXX
    Lonestar I, Rm 1 open
    Lonestar I, Rm 2 open
    Lonestar I, Rm 3 open
    Lonestar II, Rm 4 open
    Lonestar II, Rm 5 open
    Lonestar II, Rm 6 open
    Rocky Top, Rm 1 open
    Rocky Top, Rm 2 open
    Rocky Top, Rms 3&4 open
    Hawg, Rm 1 N/A
    Hawg, Rm 2 N/A
    Hawg, Rm 3 N/A
    Hawg, Rm 4 N/A
    Bunkhouse 1,1 open
    Bunkhouse 1,2 open
    Bunkhouse 1,3 open
    Bunkhouse 1,4 open
    Bunkhouse 1,5 open
    Bunkhouse 2,1 XXX
    Bunkhouse 2,2 XXX
    Bunkhouse 2,3 XXX
    Bunkhouse 2,4 XXX
    RV 1 open
    RV 2 open
    RV 3 open
    RV 4 open
    RV 5 open
    110-A open
    110-B open
    110-C open
    110-D open
    110-E N/A
    110-F open
    110-G open
    110-H open
    110-I open
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I am in for next year!!! I hope I can get a couple fo my riding buddys to come with me this year.

The Other Earl
      80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
      and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

As a reminder, the entire Iron Horse Lodge is reserved for us until 15 January. After that, we compete for the space with the general public.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I'm in

I'm planning to join.

I have a call into Iron Horse for a reservation.

I am thinking to trailer down from Michigan, for fear of rain, fatigue, and/or failure.

I see the rally is scheduled Sept 25-27.

I was thinking to arrive Thursday night and (leave) head over visit Mom's in Asheville on Sunday evening.

Does this schedule coincide with the main activities?
          -Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yes, it does! You'll probably find no one there until Friday afternoon. Maybe half of the group remains Sunday night. We ride 200 miles or so, on Sunday. A couple of them stayed for a week in 2014.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

After Thursday, January 15, space at the Iron Horse is available to anyone. Until then September 25-26-27 belongs to XS Southeast. Let's fill the place up!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                I'm planning to join.

I have a call into Iron Horse for a reservation.

I am thinking to trailer down from Michigan, for fear of rain, fatigue, and/or failure.

I see the rally is scheduled Sept 25-27.

I was thinking to arrive Thursday night and (leave) head over visit Mom's in Asheville on Sunday evening.

Does this schedule coincide with the main activities?
                Hi Mike,
                You have all summer to make your bike reliable. You appear to have the time as Marty says only starts Friday afternoon. So take your time to avoid fatigue and rain is only water so wear a good rainsuit
                Have an extra day with Mom before heading home. There are some nice routes through WV for the ride home.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                  Hi Mike,
                  You have all summer to make your bike reliable. You appear to have the time as Marty says only starts Friday afternoon. So take your time to avoid fatigue and rain is only water so wear a good rainsuit
                  Have an extra day with Mom before heading home. There are some nice routes through WV for the ride home.
                  Phil
                  I'm listening.

Thanks Phil
                  -Mike
                  _________
                  '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                  '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                  '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                  '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

How many days until Sept 25?

Not a very flattering picture, but I did stop by on Saturday to check it out:

After I experienced the terrain in a 1997 Cavalier, I was a bit apprehensive about riding around there- I think I'll be overdosing on adrenaline when we start out. I'm queasy around heights, but I hope to adapt quickly enough.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                      After I experienced the terrain in a 1997 Cavalier, I was a bit apprehensive about riding around there- I think I'll be overdosing on adrenaline when we start out. I'm queasy around heights, but I hope to adapt quickly enough.
                      We have a variety of speed groups. Nobody gets left behind. Just pick a group that suits your mood & skill.
                      Problem down here is getting over your head. If you are following Joe Speedy 'Pace Rider' then it is real real easy to get over your head and mess up.
                      Key is not to ride behind that group.

#1, we are here for the fellowship and to enjoy riding. Leisurely pace is what most want. Just ride and enjoy the scenery. We know all the riders skills and can hook you up with the right folks. PLUS, we usually have 'alternate' routes for those that want to avoid the real challenging roads. Skill is one factor, mood is another. Sometimes I want to rip, other times just putt-putt. Just depends on how I feel. The Rally accommodates whatever floats your boat. Just change groups or fall back in the line.

So, see ya in Sept. Its a blast all getting together. You should be there.

Jeff
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The key is to be man enough to ride your own ride. The ladies that sometimes join us don't seem to have this problem. You have to know the limits of your ability and the limits of your machine. When leading a group, it's impossible for me to know those limits. I keep a steady pace at what I perceive as reasonable. I ride these routes over and over. My bike has upgraded and maintained suspension. If I can see the machines behind falling back, I slow down. Accidents still happen, and none of us like it. This happened right behind me at the last one.

No injuries, but a severely damaged motorcycle. I still feel bad about it.

Planning for 2015 has not started. Any folks in the area who want to help should contact me or Jeff. If we put rides together, we're going to need some ride leaders and scouters. Having an event like what we did the last three years is a big deal. We all want to have a good time and not see anyone get hurt or damage their equipment. Our rallies based at the Iron Horse have all been great, but they weren't without incident.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Jeff and Marty it is each individual's responsibility to ride their own ride...it is not yours therefore no reason to feel like you are responsible. When you have a large group like we have its not easy to lead and not get somene lost or feeling like they have to ride OVER their skill level just to catch up.The fear of being left behind or the pressure to keep up are BOTH wrong mindsets.
                          There are other methods to leading a large group that I have tried to get you all to adopt...the method works...but its obviously not accepted for whatever reasons....
                          Last edited by madmax-im; 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yippie, a Volunteer.
                            Just what we have been waiting for. THANKS!!!

We are looking for a group leader for group 3. That might work in that group. Problem in the mountains is stopping at dangerous intersections waiting 1 - 2 - 3 minutes for the next person to show up. Kind of ruins the concept of 'Ride'. I've tried it before and there was more "Waiting" time than riding time.

I'll admit that on straighter roads it does work great. Problem is the varying abilities to take the curves that stretches things out.
                            We got now till Sept to work out the details.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

well all I can say is this method works regardless of what roads you ride...its been employed on rides I have done with the ST-Owners group...They employ this method at a rally thats at the Moonshine Creek campground in Balsam a week after our rally. Same roads we ride... it flat works...but its not my call...al I can do is raise the discussion and make suggestions...BTW please dont take this as a complaint...I love this rally and I support you all 100%
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I think distributing more detailed area instructions, GPS coordinates and destinations with estimated arrival/departure times = allow everyone the chance to ride their own ride and arrive as they will at lunch or picture stops at a prescribed time then off to the next adventure -

smaller groups that stick together - a buddy system at a minimum - and everything will be fine.

John
                                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                                X