X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
    Nice video of the Tail of The Dragon in deals Gap, NC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzodo-nsGc
    No problem on my CBR or GSXR, but I think I'll hang back on the XS, lol. I plan-on riding home on my bike in the same condition it was coming down (no broken frames hopefully).
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

• yeah that is a tad extereme but then again there are a few of us that prolly could do that with ease...with an XS11...not me though
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Ironhorse

Up in the Smoky Mountains this weekend with some riding buddies. We've been to the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley as well as a stop by the Ironhorse in Stecoah. The Triumph guys are there now for the whole week. They say that they have about 125 bikes for their event. Every kind of Triumph you have ever seen or heard of is there.

We will be here in Bryson City through Sunday - Come join us and practice for XSSE in two weeks.

1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• I think we're going to have a great turnout. I have promoted this rally at dotheton.com and XS650.com. The response remains to be seen. The president of the Yamaha 650 Society is coming. I'm hoping for good weather, too!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

• Ordered a new front tar...Perelli MT66 is coming to a swampthing near me...yes its the Tubeless one... whatever the weather is you know its constantly changing in the mtns...y'all must be prepared for anything at this time of year...aint no such thing as bad weather...only bad gear...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 09-12-2015, 06:11 PM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              Ordered a new front tar...Perelli MT66 is coming to a swampthing near me...yes its the Tubeless one...
              MadMax,
              I found in the factory service manual that the rims CAN accept a Tube Type tire but "the proper tube must be used". I've read quite a lot here from several different posts pro/con on the issue of Tube vs. Tubeless. I'll stick with the tubeless.

I don't really have any experience on a machine this big in; size, weight, or displacement and the only thing I have to compare my new Pirelli's to is the garbage on my original rims and my replacement XJ rims. However, I believe Marty's advice to me was very very good. These do feel very nice! I believe these Pirelli's are a good value for the $$$.

I am (like others) getting pretty darn excited about XSSE. I haven't seen another XS (of ANY variety) in person for years! I'm also a little anal about worrying about stuff while I'm driving (Hot Rods or Bikes). Did I tighten this? What condition is that? What's that vibration?

I've made an excel list and tried to think of EVERYTHING ON THE BIKE I need to verify before I take off for a bunch of driving.....

PRE- XSSE XS11 Checks
              • Item Status
              • Engine Oil & Filter - New Oil Level Correct
              • Mid Drive Oil - New Oil Level Correct
              • Final Drive - New Oil Level Correct
              • Air Filter - New, Clean
              • Battery - New, water level good
              • Brake Lamp -Checked, working correctly
              • Brakes - New Pads, New Lines
              • Carbs - Clean, no leaks
              • Cluctch Cable -WAITING ON NEW
              • Electrical connectors -Checked, all clean
              • Exhaust - Secure, No leaks
              • Forks- Cleaned New Oil 7#
              • Fuel Lamp - Checked, working correctly
              • Headlamp Aim -Checked, aimed correctly
              • Horns- Checked, working correctly
              • Lighting/Signals - Headlamp new, all others check good
              • Master Reservoirs - Full no leaks
              • Petcocks -Rebuilt, no leaks
              • Spare Key -Hidden on bike
              • Spark Plugs - New, spares in bags
              • Swingarm - New seals, re-packed, torque checked
              • Throttle Cable- New Installed, properly lubricated
              • Timing - Checked, correct, vac. advance good.
              • Tires - New, presure correct
              • Tools - Complete OEM kit + fuses
              • Torques - Axles & mounts re-checked good.
              • Wheel Bearings - New, properly packed

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              ....aint no such thing as bad weather...only bad gear...
              My bike should be ready .... But I'll be the guy with the "Bad Gear" I really never had the cross-country driving stuff all these other guys have accumulated and learned over the years.... PLEASE NO RAIN!!!!:eek:

Looking forward to making some new friends and seeing some other XS's.

Respectfully,
              KURT
              Kurt Boehringer
              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
              1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
              1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
              1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
              2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• you still have time to get some good gear...for rain get Frogg Toggs rainsuits they are not too expensive ...they pack light and work very well in the wet... and can be put on over whatever else you're wearing...best to have it and not need it...thatn to need it and not have it....like I said weather conditions can change in a moments notice...and riding in and around the mtns we have seen this quite a few times..even bring warm clothes you never know...JAT
                oh and i havent used a freaking tube in a motorcycle tire...ever...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  ...for rain get Frogg Toggs rainsuits they are not too expensive ...they pack light and work very well in the wet... and can be put on over whatever else you're wearing...best to have it and not need it...than to need it and not have it...like I said weather conditions can change in a moments notice...and riding in and around the mtns we have seen this quite a few times..even bring warm clothes you never know...
                  +1 ...

Rain gear and cold weather gear are absolutely essential ... especially when you know you'll be riding in weather conditions that can change almost instantly.

I learned that lesson the hard way many, many years ago on a road trip ...
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

• These Cabelas Roughneck Dry Plus pants are discontinued at Cabelas but still available here:

http://www.huntinggearoutlet.com/pro...lus-pants-tall

Best and cheapest motorcycle overpants I found. They are intended for the construction trades. Are super tough with extra knee layers for knee pads that I leave out. Legs zip up side high to easily put on and off over boots.

You won't find heavy duty rain pants like these for under $250.

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Although I do own some rain paints I usually just keep going and get wet. I find that eventually the rain stops and the wind dries me out. Now if it's very cold I may put them on but I don't wear a rain jacket. I find I just get wet anyway so why bother.

I just don't want to be one of those guys under the bridge putting gear on while trucks fly by at 80 mph.
                      1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                      2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• I have just returned from the TN/NC where I attended a rally. I am a bit cold soaked. The leather jacket with a fleece under it wasn't warm enough. I took my windscreen off, so that didn't help.

I'm expecting a number of XS650 folks at this rally. I hope we get quite a few of them!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

• There you have it folks...right from the rally master himself...wet n cold with bad gear...be prepared for anything...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• I might add that it rained all over the place, but never directly on me. I did ride a good bit of wet pavement. Rode The Dragon in the dark and then in the wet. At least, there's little traffic in those conditions.

Yes, at the end of September, it might be warm and it might be cold, and it might be both. If it rains, the water coming down will be cold.

We've had only one washout since 2002. If that should happen we have an alternate plan. For those willing to ride 50 miles in the rain, we'll make a trip the Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley. The lodge has big screen TV, pool tables, and shuffleboard. Of coarse, the fellowship is always great!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

• Mountains

+1 on the TN/NC weekend. I was in Maggie Valley, the Dragon, The Cherohala Skyway, and the Ironhorse this weekend. There was 40-80% chance of rain the entire time. Somehow, we did NOT get wet. Kept a close eye on the radar and stayed dry. Lots of folks were out, but not too crowded.

Was a little cool on the Skyway at 5900 feet altitude. A light jacket was all that was needed. Had our rain suits JIC.

Had a vast array of bikes - Honda Goldwing, K1200GT BMW, Yamaha Venturer, and a Hardley.

No bike troubles, had a great time. Found plenty of E0 gas.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                                +1 on the TN/NC weekend. I was in Maggie Valley, the Dragon, The Cherohala Skyway, and the Ironhorse this weekend.
                                Mike,
                                I saw you at Deals Gap. That pretty red XS1100 is hard to miss. I was at the Kawasaki demo ride. I saw you leave the resort and go north on 129.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X