XS Southeast 2015 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Kurt,

As already stated, many of us ride Specials, so the rally coordinators plan for adequate fuel/REST stops. I think I remember that you have a backrest on your bike for your pillion/SWMBO...so USE HER as YOUR backrest. If you have to lean too far back to be able to rest against her, then either adjust her backrest, or add a pillow/cushion between you and her to provide you support. I, too, have had lower back surgery....L5-S1 some 17 years ago..fortunately just a simple laminectomy, no fusion/hardware. I did my first LDR after my rebuild in 2001 about 3 years after my back surgery, some 600 miles and like 12+ hours on the road! You're only about 2 years out, and you had 2 sections/joints worked on, and I don't know how severe ... fusion / hardware??

Sitting is about the worst position for the lower back, it puts a lot of stress on the lower back/hip joints. Being able to change foot/leg position while riding can be helpful, so folks that do LDR's usually have some form of cruise pegs to allow them to safely reposition their feet forward to stretch the legs and take the pressure of the back.

Also, do you have a throttle lock/cruise control on your handlebar? Having that can help you take your hand down for a few moments while cruising to help you rest your arm/hands/shoulders ...again being able to move/shift your body around a bit can help relieve positional stress. I'm sure with the improvements to the rear shocks/wheel you'll be making, that combined with riding with your swmbo will make the bike suspension relatively softer, but extra bottom cushioning can't hurt! I have a large sheep skin that I throw on mine for my LDR's.

Full face helmets are great protective gear. Do you ride with EAR PLUGS? The constant wind noise even with Full Face Helmets can cause hearing damage. I have a modular full face helmet as well. But I still have problems with the sun when it's low/in my face, even with polarized sunglasses. Holding my hand up like a VISOR solves the problem, but is problematic. I have seen some new fancy glue/stick on VISORS that can be put onto the clear visor of the helmet to provide that needed extra Sun VISOR affect for when the sun gets low! I'll do a search on here and see what/where it is on the web....we had a thread about it some months ago.

Marty, I'll only need 1 T-shirt...I'll check out the T-shirt thread soon!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Mission Planning (XSSE)

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Kurt,
      As already stated, many of us ride Specials, so the rally coordinators plan for adequate fuel/REST stops. .
      That's good to know. I usually re-set my trip meter at every fill up and stop for gas before I get to 70 miles. The warning lamp came on once at 70 and that's pretty much become my target for gas.

I think I remember that you have a backrest on your bike for your pillion/SWMBO...so USE HER as YOUR backrest. If you have to lean too far back to be able to rest against her, then either adjust her backrest, or add a pillow/cushion between you and her to provide you support.
      The bride is just getting comfortable relying on the back rest a little more each ride. Those first couple rides I was getting a death grip on my waist. She also would slide forward pushing me toward the tank making "things" VERY uncomfortable. She's learned to try to be neutral back there and not "help me" lean or turn either. I also have learned to push back a bit keeping "myself" off of the tank. My backrest has no adjustment, it's fixed position.

You're only about 2 years out, and you had 2 sections/joints worked on, and I don't know how severe ... fusion / hardware??.
      I don't know the medical terminology but the DR. said my bone structure was in decent shape and we'd skip the hardware. They removed a significant amount of herniated material from the disc areas which was pushing on the spinal cord. I have a small amount of feeling loss in my right toes but otherwise the surgery was a complete success. However, I can get some real soreness when I over do it.

Being able to change foot/leg position while riding can be helpful, so folks that do LDR's usually have some form of cruise pegs to allow them to safely reposition their feet forward to stretch the legs and take the pressure of the back.
      I have the highway pegs that came with the DUCK. They're some pretty nasty looking 70's style pegs that I was planning to use the brackets from for some driving lamps. I might reconsider and hang those ugly things back on. With a special the 60-70 range I've been doing between stops hasn't yet been an issue.

Also, do you have a throttle lock/cruise control on your handlebar?
      NO. I don't have one yet. I've actually never had one on any bike I've owned. I found this one on e-bay and it says it fits a 7/8" bar but also says it won't fit an XS11.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-C...b24050&vxp=mtr

I checked MikesXS and saw nothing.
      Anyone have a model they recommend for an 11 Special?

Full face helmets are great protective gear. Do you ride with EAR PLUGS? The constant wind noise even with Full Face Helmets can cause hearing damage. I have a modular full face helmet as well.
      Both of our helmets are Modular. I've been having issues with the sun on the way to/from work. I drive dead EAST to work at 7:00 am into the morning Georgia sun and direct WEST on the way home at 5:00pm. The evenings aren't too bad but the morning can stink real bad. I went and looked at those new helmets with the drop down sun visor INSIDE operated by a button on the top or side. Unfortunately the HJC model is $220+ and the BILT is $180+. I grabbed a BILT Modular Standard this weekend on sale for $79 at CYCLE GEAR (Marietta Location) for Nancy. I ordered a smoked visor for my HJC at the Yamaha Dealer ($24 OUCH! )

I don't normally wear ear plugs but planned to give it a try on the long trip.

Thanks for all the advice T.C. et al.

Sincerely,
      KURT
      Last edited by kboehringer; 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM.
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Kurt,
        I dunno if it was just my AT&T cell carrier, or if it's all cell carriers, but I had -0- cell service anywhere in a 25 mile radius of the I-H lodge!

I was also testing a 7" tablet with GPS software on that trip last year.
        Horrible failure. Didn't work there, either.

But a Garmin or TomTom should work ok, as long as you have a clear sky above you.

I've since fixed that "problem" with a Garmin gps now.

Only thing I'll tell ya... when you start riding those twisties, there'll be no time to look at a gps!

At breakfast the morning of the first group ride of the rally, Bohn told me," Bob you know how the twisties are in Arkansas? Pretty challenging, right?" I said, "yes." He said, "well, forget that! These curves are gonna be the most challenging roads you've ever ridden! The corners are relentless!"

He was abso-freakin-lutely correct! Left-right-left... they just keep coming!
        I spent the majority of the day riding my Concours14 in 1-2 gears... And ran about 6 grand rpm's.

At least in Arkansas, you DO get an occasional straightaway... not there!

Strap in, hang on, stay alert and focused... and you'll have the ride of your lives.

Marty had his wife on the back of his XS, and it was a challenge to stay with him! They're used to riding those roads like that, and I was very impressed with how well his wife did, as passenger! She didn't hurl once! Hahaha...

Just ride your ride... you'll be fine.
        And by the end of the rally, you'll have some very cool memories to take back home.

Ride safe, and wish I could be there with ya.
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Yes Kurt to what Bob has said...Do not even think of using the GPS when riding the twisties...I can tell you that i have seen at least one or 2 bad accidents happened because someone was looking at their GPS instead of the road...not during this rally but other rallies with other MC forums...
          Secondly...your Wife...passenger...pillion rider needs to be in synch with what you do with the bike...for instance if you are looking and leaning into a right hander so should she. A pillion rider does not counter what the pilot is doing...rather they flow along with the bike and rider...takes a little effort at first but should become second nature over time....Also be sure there is some space between the 2 of you...If she sneezes she could head butt you...so the pillion rider needs to allow for some space and hold their head to reduce the head jerk effect...I have seen this happen too...
          Last edited by madmax-im; 08-19-2015, 01:19 AM.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Mission

Kurt,

The "cruise control" may come in handy for extended trips, but will not have a use through the twisties. The Crampbuster products are very good at reducing (throttle) wrist fatigue while riding. I recommend them. Can be seen here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-cruise-assist

Riding at the rally is not something to worry about. There are a lot twisties, but no one gets left behind. There is always someone at the back to make sure that you don't miss a turn. Plenty of gas stops for everyone with the
            Special MPG in mind. You will likely not ride as fast as some being two-up, but it will not be a problem. Do not push your limit trying to do so. Ride your own ride and be safe. None of us wants to see SWMBO slapping you around for going too fast.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Good advice Mike...it should be noted that there is a Chase rider who is always last and makes sure there are no stragglers...he has a radio and is in communication with the lead or near lead rider as well...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• The chase rider has brought me home safe every time.
                80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

• Thanks Brent for being willing to hang back with us slow guys!!!!
                  80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                  and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

• south thread...

Just noticed in one of the posting here that one of you went looking for fuel at 70 miles? I'm getting like 126 miles before my fuel light comes on.....was just asking?
                    At this time:
                    1985 Goldwing Innr.
                    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                    2007 vtx 1300
                    81 sx 1100 s h
                    81 sx 400 special

Comment

• Agreed

Originally posted by brcree View Post
                      Just noticed in one of the posting here that one of you went looking for fuel at 70 miles? I'm getting like 126 miles before my fuel light comes on.....was just asking?
                      70 miles to low fuel light is a bit early. But that may have been with 2 up riding.

Proper running Special should yield 40 MPG. But will vary depending on rider habits and riding conditions. I would start looking at the tune up and fuel system if I did not get at least 35.

IIRC, the Special's fuel tank is graduated as follows:

3.96 Gallons Capacity (Not A Lot)
                      3.3 Gallons Main / .66 Gallons Reserve

One should expect 115-132 miles before low fuel light and 138-158 miles before walking. Based on 35 and 40 MPG.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                        One should expect 115-132 miles before low fuel light and 138-158 miles before walking. Based on 35 and 40 MPG.

I can get 30 mpg on a good day. I walk at less than 120 miles.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

• Cell Service

Quote from XJOK2PLAY (Bob):

I dunno if it was just my AT&T cell carrier, or if it's all cell carriers, but I had -0- cell service anywhere in a 25 mile radius of the I-H lodge!

Cell service in the Smoky Mountain area can be sketchy. It has gotten a little better over the years, except for AT&T. Best service there is through Verizon, but is not yet optimal.
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

• More Mileage Information

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                            70 miles to low fuel light is a bit early. But that may have been with 2 up riding........Proper running Special should yield 40 MPG. One should expect 115-132 miles before low fuel light and 138-158 miles before walking. Based on 35 and 40 MPG.
                            XS Folks,
                            I need to provide a bit more information here to clear up the confusion I made.....

I usually DON'T fill it up to the tippy top. I'm using a big Viton O-ring as a cap seal which SEEMS to work pretty good but the original cap seal is long gone. I've been a little scared of going to the tippy top. I was scanning some of the other threads here and somewhere read that a seal for a particular Toyota thermostat (?) was a dead ringer for a proper seal. Haven't got one yet.

While trying to fill to basically the same level (1-1/2" inch or so) from the top I've been able to gain estimates of mileage anywhere from 28 to 32. I use only SUPER in this machine and my Lil' Maxim. I read a couple antique write-ups from back in the day when they were evaluating the XS11 and found that about 30mpg was what they experienced. I thought I was doing pretty good....

Although my plugs look nearly perfect, I do see a bit of soot in the tail pipes. I suspect this is unburned fuel and I was intending to make a slight adjustment for this (maybe 1/4 turn). Perhaps this could gain a mile or two if I'm correct but I don't see this special getting much more than 33-34?

Most of my driving has been two-person so I would suspect a should expect slightly reduced mileage?

I haven't seen anyone selling OEM or aftermarket cap seals....????

KURT

P.S. My Lil' Maxim gets about 50 miles to the gallon and I usually drive that alone.
                            Kurt Boehringer
                            Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                            1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                            1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                            1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                            1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                            1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                            1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                            1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                            1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                            1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                            1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                            1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                            2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Kurt,
                              I've been around the XS11 for many years now.
                              I've ridden thousands of miles, on mine, and with other owners.

When I first got my '82 Maxim, 30-32 was it's best mileage performance.
                              After the carbs were triple-cleaned, reworked, and a Dynajet kit installed, and 3 times test riding, taking the carbs back off, re-adjusting the rod positions, and carefully synching them, I finally achieved a routine 40 mpg.

The only rider I've ridden with that bettered that was Bohn Frazer. His would get between 42-45. (Highway mileage, long trips.)

BUT, remember... When you're gonna be riding 2-up at the rally, most of the time you'll be running in lower gears, and higher rpm's.
                              Even my C14, that normally will get 50 mpg on the highway, got 30 on the Dragon!

But, don't fret about it. This rally has outstanding leaders, planning, and the ride is well overseen, complete with folks who have first aid, and paramedic training.

Brent always does a great job watching the rear in case something should happen, and I've been there with him on another ride when someone crashed.
                              He was great help, and knows what to do.

They know these roads well, and the rides are pre-ridden before the rally.
                              There'll be several folks with Specials, and the fuel stops are pre-planned with that in mind.

All you gotta do is stay sharp, and enjoy a fantastic ride.
                              You'll be fine! Those roads are in great shape, and tons of fun!
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Mpg

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                                XS Folks,
                                I need to provide a bit more information here to clear up the confusion I made.....

I usually DON'T fill it up to the tippy top. I'm using a big Viton O-ring as a cap seal which SEEMS to work pretty good but the original cap seal is long gone. I've been a little scared of going to the tippy top. I was scanning some of the other threads here and somewhere read that a seal for a particular Toyota thermostat (?) was a dead ringer for a proper seal. Haven't got one yet.

While trying to fill to basically the same level (1-1/2" inch or so) from the top I've been able to gain estimates of mileage anywhere from 28 to 32. I use only SUPER in this machine and my Lil' Maxim. I read a couple antique write-ups from back in the day when they were evaluating the XS11 and found that about 30mpg was what they experienced. I thought I was doing pretty good....

Although my plugs look nearly perfect, I do see a bit of soot in the tail pipes. I suspect this is unburned fuel and I was intending to make a slight adjustment for this (maybe 1/4 turn). Perhaps this could gain a mile or two if I'm correct but I don't see this special getting much more than 33-34?

Most of my driving has been two-person so I would suspect a should expect slightly reduced mileage?

I haven't seen anyone selling OEM or aftermarket cap seals....????

KURT

P.S. My Lil' Maxim gets about 50 miles to the gallon and I usually drive that alone.
                                20-0036 is a cap seal from Mikesxs.com. I believe this is the right one. Someone may help VERIFY this.

Look at your plugs and read them. 40+ mpg plug will be light tan color and no black soot. Will post a picture of one.
                                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                                K&N Air Filter
                                ACCT
                                Custom Paint by Deitz
                                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                                EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment