No announcement yet.

XS Southeast 2015 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As it so happens I have also made a reservation at the Tuskeegee Motel for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. My question is can I still eat at the Ironhorse even if I'm not staying there?

I was going to camp again this year but decided to stay in a room. That way I have a possibility of riding my XS to the event.

Assuming, of coarse, it's running.
    1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
    2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichV View Post
      As it so happens I have also made a reservation at the Tuskeegee Motel for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. My question is can I still eat at the Ironhorse even if I'm not staying there?

I was going to camp again this year but decided to stay in a room. That way I have a possibility of riding my XS to the event.

Assuming, of coarse, it's running.
      Rich, YES I-H will accommodate. When we post the meals just make sure you contact I-H with your meal selections. However, they will want you to setup account with credit card. Its easy.

I look forward to seeing that XS11 you have been wrestling with. I've been following your project work and dilemmas. Plus look forward to riding again with you. We 'spanked it' pretty good last year. That was fun.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        We 'spanked it' pretty good last year. That was fun.
        Oh yes it was. This year I hope to be unencumbered by American heavy metal and low foot boards. I still have the scrapes from last year.
        1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
        2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• Butterflies.....

XSSE Folks,
          I'm starting to get a few butterflies about this event. I'm absolutely looking forward to it and so is the wife but I have a couple concerns. I believe the bike will be in shape to handle all the driving and will be safe for the trip.....BUT.....

A week or so back we drove a 100+ mile trip and my back was pretty darn sore that night. I had lower back surgery (L4-L5 & L5-S1) about 2 years ago. My trip to XSSE is about 200 miles. I'm thinking about borrowing a trailer and putting a hitch on the T/A to pull the bike to North Carolina.

I only get about 30 (maybe slightly less-) miles per gallon. I haven't quite got the mileage nailed down per tank but I'm a little worried about the 200 mile Saturday rally trip.... Plenty of places to stop???

Passenger status: As of today, I'm planning on draggin' the bride around on the back. She's looking forward to it and likes riding with me. How many other folks are draggin' the bride on the back? I noticed some couples where both are riding bikes. My wife is going to learn how to drive the XJ550 Maxim but certainly not before XSSE. I don't want her to be the only "Ball & Chain" on the back? I don't want the wife uncomfortable.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,
          KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Kurt whatever you do...you should be comfortable doing it...what we think is irrelavent...only you know your limits...people trailer fine...two guys from NY come down every year and trailer their bikes...there are always two up couples and couples that ride individually as well...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Last year physically was not a good year for me...and I rode the 700 mile round trip to the IH plus roughly another 400 miles of rally riding. I have thought that this would be the year I trailer it so I got a hitch installed onto my car but now my health has improved to the point where I am thinking to just ride there again...this will be my 6th XSSE and I have ridden to every one of them. Riding is certainly the cheapest of options but then if you are uncomfortable for even 200 miles especially with a wife on board...then perhaps taking the cage and trailering would be your best option...at any rate how ever you get ther...I will be looking forward to meeting you both...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Heather and I may not be able to get to XS SE this year. One of my Projects in Alberta closes on Sept 26th. Will decide in 2 weeks, and will cancel reservation at Iron Horse, will post here so someone can grab the reservation.

If we don't make, still planning to go that way when heading home in early October

Ted

Comment

• That's a bummer, Ted. I'm glad I made XS East, so you could see me!

Kurt, my wife hauls a bunch of rally stuff up in the car and meets me there. So far, she's been sitting behind me every year. I led a group that way, the last couple of years. Trailering the bike up may be a fine idea. If you ride it, a bunch of us will be meeting in Cornelia on Friday morning. Meet us there and your ride will be more than 200 miles because we'll likely ride Waya Road. If your back goes out on Friday, Saturday will be less fun for sure. The Saturday adventure will be over 200 miles, but I can offer up a shortcut.

TC, now that we know you're coming, how many tee shirts do you want?
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

• Hi Kurt,
                    Always at least a couple of couples (pun intended ) on one bike.
                    Plus it seems more women are riding to this event too.
                    Gas stops are always less than 100 miles apart as most XS Specials will not go much more than that. Your own comfort level of distance only you can determine. Ride up or trailer which ever makes you happy. Get out there and practice
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I hope you can make it, and bring Mr. Beardslee with you!

Shirts won't be available until the last minute. Less than three weeks left on those.

We aren't getting any younger. Start the ritual pilgrimage now!
                      Mr Beardslee is his own man...
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

• The Duck may improve... REALLY want to drive the bike!

XSSE Folks,
                        There is a good chance the recent repairs to the front end will make the ride much more comfortable on the back. Although I am CERTAIN most XS11's are in a better state of repair than mine, the fork cleaning and repair combined with a new tire has made a drastic improvement in the front end feel and the THUMPING my arms were taking. That "Thumping" I was taking was getting directly transmitted down the spine.

I may be able to make some improvement to the rear making it a lot more comfortable too. I will also be getting one of those back belts and possibly a gel pad and trying that out over the next couple weeks I'm trying NOT to leave anything to the last minute.......

Here's some more STUPID questions....... Although I have owned more than 30 bikes and have rarely been without one, I also spent 2+ years on crutches as a kid for riding my bike like an idiot (full reconstructive knee surgery). BUT, I've only done ONE overland long trek and that was by myself on a KZ750. IT WAS HORRIBLE and I was like 23 (+/-). I'm now over 50.

I always drive with long pants & sleeves, leather gloves, and a full face helmet I just got another full-face today so Nancy and I BOTH have a full-face. Nancy and I will BOTH be wearing reflective vests as I am a HUGE advocate of bright colors on bikes. I learned that in the Navy as a MC safety instructor...

I will be packing some REAL biker rain gear but intend on driving with Levis and leather shoes. I have soft gear that Marty checked out and he said should be much more than adequate. I installed the aftermarket "hoops" to keep 'em out of the rear wheel As Marty told me we should only need some clean undies and a toothbrush and we should be ready to roll.....

I also set this up on my bike two weeks ago.....

I stole this from my Accord and it works well..... Can't hear that nasty broad yelling at me (the TomTom GPS girl ) but I usually turn her voice off anyway (both of the girls ).

What am I missing?

KURT
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

• Go test ride with the Tom Tom...and figure out a way to keep it dry if it rains...personally I would not use a GPS...with all the things that are new to you my feeling is a GPS would be too much of a distraction... plus where you have it mounted is off center,,,not good...let your wife be the navigator...;-)
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Mad Max...I don't own a gps,cell phone or a watch.I like maps and miss telephone booths. I think I will get a cell phone tho Been trying to for the past year.I am not old it is I just don't care.
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

• Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                              Mad Max...I don't own a gps,cell phone or a watch.I like maps and miss telephone booths. I think I will get a cell phone tho Been trying to for the past year.I am not old it is I just don't care.
                              Cool...its still possible to function in the world without these things...for myself i have owned a cell phone for a good long time and now its actually smart...it has internet and wifi a 13mp camera and can voice or text calls...its also has a clock, and built in GPS and mapping if i want....
                              I like to wear Chronographs...not because I'm so time bound but that i enjoy big wacthes with lots of dials...(Thanks Gary)
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                                Mad Max...I don't own a gps,cell phone or a watch.I like maps and miss telephone booths. I think I will get a cell phone tho Been trying to for the past year.I am not old it is I just don't care.
                                I like your style! I hope you'll be able to come down and join the party.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X