XS Southeast 2015 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Looks like the turnout was the best yet...did anyone make a count of how many XS1100s there were...XS650s? even without me there this event continues to grow and offers up some of the best motorcycling in the country
    I have the documentation. It might take me a day or five to get caught up. Right now I'm relieved that it went well.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

• just got in 700 miles to home.

this is just getting better every year.

big thanks to the people that put this together,show us the way and got are backs.
      80 xs1100G

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        Money is pissed away...money i could have used...so i dont agree...as it stands... i'm not even going to plan another rally...YMMV
        Kind of a grumpy old coot aren't you Ben.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Kind of a grumpy old coot aren't you Ben.
          yeah forgive this moody old bastard...LOL
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Glad you made it home safely Earl...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Hey All and Jerry(Laruplus3),

Sorry you weren't able to find us in Cherokee, we had bkfst and then waited till 9:30, even sent RichV back to the Shell station to make sure you weren't there waiting! I also want to apologize to Rich, George, and even YOU/Jerry IF you went ahead and ran that leg of the BRP! We had dry roadway for about 5 miles up from the bottom, but once we hit the ~3k foot level, the cloud ceiling was quite LOW, and we essentially ran in RAIN the whole ~80 miles stretch! It was "MY" idea to run the BRP up to Asheville before catching Hwy40 East...thinking we would be able to make up for the "rainy" ride down on Friday. Next time we'll have to make sure to check the cloud ceiling altitude and ensure that it's over 5K feet before deciding to run the BRP.

And then to top it off, after coming down the mountain to Asheville, thought we would be in better shape only to run into the bands of rain from that infernal LOW! Thank goodness for Rain Suits. Anyways, George and I made it back to home territory, but we split up at 664/264 junction, he had another 20+ miles to get home to Va. Bch, I had only 10, arrived ~8:45pm tonight....long wet day in the saddle.

But enough about the bad weather....I, too, want to thank Marty/Jeff and Brent, as well as Gary/Bruce for all of their hard work and efforts to host the rally. A fun time was had by all with the exception of Gino's spill, as well as those that had wanted to attend but "LIFE" and adverse events got in the way. I didn't take too many photos, but did get a fair amount of GoPro video, but will take some time to process/edit them, weed out the bad ones, etc.! And it's late tonight, I'll see what my photos look like and may post some if they look okay.

Hope everyone else makes it back home safe and sound.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Originally posted by LARUPLUS3 View Post
                My first post (thanks TC for hookin me up!)Other than the rain Friday and on the ride home today,I have to rate it as the best riding weekend ever!Riding for 48 years never did as many twisties with such great scenery and a fantastic group of like minded knowledgeable bikenuts! I was welcomed by all and am glad to be part of this great xs11.com group! ps.tc and other tidewater boys tried to find you in Cherokee,hope all was well on your trip home. will post pics soon
                We waited for you for about an hour. I suspect that we just didn't see each other. We were on the side of the road leading out of Cherokee heading into the GSMNP. I left George and TC at the Rt19 exit from the Blue Ridge Parkway and went up to the Museum. They continued on and I hope they got back safely. Very wet in Maggie Valley and on the Blue Ridge.

I'm in Cookeville, TN at my brother's house after a ride through the GSMNP and across eastern TN. It was a great rally and I hope to be there again next year.
                1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
                2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

• Wet Ride Home Monday

Took off about 7:30 from IH and headed east. Had a little in and out rain but nothing to speak of. Then I got to the south east of Ashville route 40 on the big hill. Heavy rain, no visibility and more cages than I wanted to see. Trucks all over the place. I was questioning my choice to ride home and not stay in the nice warm dry truck with Waynne driving but to late by then. In and out of rain for the next 300 miles but made good time. Got east of Raleigh and hard steady down pours all the way into Havelock. Someone here called their bike a "rain virgin". Mine was too but not anymore and is now the dirtiest special ever. Would I do it again HELL YES! Had more fun at this rally than I should have been allowed. Met great people, saw some beautiful bikes assembled and cared for with great craftsmanship. Rode rain or shine thru gods country. Its liven the dream. See ya all there next year. Oh and thanks to the guys that put this together. You are truly eXcessive.
                  wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                  81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                  82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                  81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I'm home. Monday was a beautiful ride up into northern Kentucky where I overnighted. Today was rain from the moment I left the lodge until I pulled into my driveway. What a great rally. Thank you to everyone who put this together. Now to get out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!
                    Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by mastan View Post
                      Now to get out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!
                      Mark
                      Where is the LIKE button?
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

• Any update on Gino? What happened and how? What shape is his beautiful
                        KZ1000 in?
                        Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                          Any update on Gino? What happened and how? What shape is his beautiful
                          KZ1000 in?
                          Not yet. Before we left, we learned he had punctured a lung. He had been moved from intensive care to a regular room.

The only damage to the bike was a scraped case saver, mirror, and tachometer can. I hope we learn something soon, but I believe Gino and his bike will both recover.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

• We had 54 people sign in with 22 XS1100's. We also had two XS650B's, a KZ1000, a GS850, a GL1100, an XJ750, two XJ650's, an XS750F, and a Godzilla. That's pretty good for what was predicted to be a rainy weekend!

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out, particularly Karen Johnson, who handled the tee shirts. Thanks also to Gary, Greg, and Billy for taking leadership roles on the rides. It all turned out great!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

• Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              We had 54 people sign in with 22 XS1100's. We also had two XS650B's, a KZ1000, a GS850, a GL1100, an XJ750, two XJ650's, an XS750F, and a Godzilla.
                              And a partridge in a pear tree...........
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Home at last.

Thanks Marty & Jeff for a great rally.
                                Arrived home a 7:40pm Tuesday after a 12 hour ride in the rain from Princeton WV. Rained all day getting heavier as I made my way north. Sun broke through in Summersville WV but soon hid behind the clouds and the road had no chance to dry before more rain.
                                After leaving IH met up with Mpitman for breakfast in Bryson City followed by a visit to Wheels through Time museum where we saw RichV. I could not linger long as I had plans for my days ride. The rain had been heavy as we arrived at the museum and was still coming down when I left. I wanted to ride "The Snake" Hwy421 and had plotted a route. Decided I would commiot to it when i got to the turn if the sky looked to be clearing. uit was and i managed to navigate with a brochure I had picked up the the museum. Lovely ride managing to stay on route with just a paper MAP Ends at I 81 and I had made good enough time to run over "The Back of the Dragon" Hwy16 Marion to Tazwell and on into Princeton WV as it was getting dark and ofcourse raining yet again. a good day
                                Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                                X