No announcement yet.

Cleaning pistons and Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also, i can still see crosshatching on the cylinder walls.... just to let you know.
    Just follow the pattern that is there! A moderate speed is good, same as a car.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

hey Austin,
      If your going to put back the original rings and you can still see a hatch pattern and the bike has only done about 10,000miles I wouldnt hone the cylinders,
      unless like DiverRay said, there are shiney patches on the bore. Why remove unwanted material from the bore if you dont really need to, also you wont need to seat the rings.
      With regards to the carbon ring around the top of the bore 'they' say not to remove this unless your honing or boring, the idea of leaving the ring is to help prevent oil passing the top ring producing burning oil, so reducing any engine smoke.
      Did you end up doing a leak test on the valves of the head?
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I agree.. if there's still a cross hatch pattern, I wouldn't do a hone. Some people think of honing as an aftethought... but it's probably close to as important as the boring. MOST people aren't going to do it correctly with a hand drill on a work bench. Arrange the ring gaps into the proper spots and throw it back together.

Just my opinion...

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've always wondered how the heck you get the honing to be the right angles trying to match speed of drill and speed in and out of the cylinder. That would seem to take some really good timing and or alot of practice or both.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I've never understood people hesitancy about removing the carbon ring. It's simply a spot where nothing hits or rubs, so carbon forms there. Your piston is only next to it for a millisecond, then the pressures are there to hit the rings at every other point in the stroke. This carbon isn't a magic "4th ring". It's like worrying about taking carbon off the cup of your valves in the combustion chamber. It's just there because nothing is keeping it from NOT being there.

Knock it off of there if you want... don't if you don't feel like it. 100 miles down the road, it'll be back.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

that will save time

Im pretty sure they are okay so im goint to clean them up and maybe put back on today....

wait, no. I still need that darn engine gasket set! dang

and as far as doing a leak test... there is no need. one of the valves is stuck open and they need new seals so ill do a head job and lap them

Its coming along good but now i just need to find someone who will paint the frame!
              Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
              1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
              XJ maxim rear air shocks
              KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
              Pod Filters

Money pit.......
              BLACKED OUT

Comment

So is it stuck open from rust.. or is it bent?

Tod

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  I've never understood people hesitancy about removing the carbon ring. It's simply a spot where nothing hits or rubs, so carbon forms there. Your piston is only next to it for a millisecond, then the pressures are there to hit the rings at every other point in the stroke. This carbon isn't a magic "4th ring". It's like worrying about taking carbon off the cup of your valves in the combustion chamber. It's just there because nothing is keeping it from NOT being there.

Knock it off of there if you want... don't if you don't feel like it. 100 miles down the road, it'll be back.

Tod
                  Many years ago in high school auto class we were told not to remove the carbon ring at the top unless a hone was being done or new rings were going to be installed. Apparently the engine will burn oil if the carbon ring is removed without a hone or new rings.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

For cylinder DIA I was also told in the same auto class that a properly honed cylinder actually has a slightly smaller DIA because the walls are roughed up by the process. I would guess that it depends on if your removing material or just scratching up the surface of what's there.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

valves

stuck open from just carbon build up i think. im going to make a make a ghetto compressor today i think so i can take them out. still gotta order that gasket set from partsnmore

So i need a straight answer on the carbon ring. DO IT OR NOT?!?!?
                      Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                      XJ maxim rear air shocks
                      KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                      Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                      BLACKED OUT

Comment

If you're worried about it.. don't remove it. If you are going to hone it, you'll have to to get the proper hone from top to bottom. I will say that I, personally, have always removed the carbon ring, only done a hone one time when putting old parts back in (Which I have done 5 or 6 times) and never had an oil burning issue. This was with different motors, so it's not like that was motor specific. I personally think it's an old wive's tale thing.. like never jump start a bike with a running car battery. And like I said... that ring will be back there.. ESPECIALLY if it's burning a little oil.. within the first few hundred miles.

I had to tear into my motors for different reasons for the first three years. In that three year's time, I never had to change the oil because it needed it. I would never get 3k miles out of one until something else messed up. That's what I got from piecing together used parts from different motors and trying to make one work. My riding style didn't help that any, I'm sure... I always cleaned off this carbon ring, and it was always back again next time I tore into it.. so definately within 1-2k miles.

So.. if you're scared to.. don't remove the ring. It won't hurt anything to leave it if you're putting the same pistons back in the same holes. If you want remove it.. it's not going to hurt anything either.

I think you're better off worrying about getting the cylinders slipped back over the pistons/rings without breaking a ring than the little carbon ring. THAT is the tough part. The last motor I did, we had enough guys there so each of us could watch and squeeze the rings on one piston (Four of us). That made it really really nice.. but not always practical.. lol.

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

A quick search for "carbon ring in cylinders" bough up several results and i read a few of the ones that were actually about this ring at the top of the cylinders. they all say the same thing.. If using the same pistons and rings the carbon ring is not to be disturbed or excessive oil consumption will result.
                          Here's an example link for honda rebuild go to page 165.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ROM...um=2&ct=result

Rob
                          Last edited by 79XS11F; 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM.

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

or excessive oil consumption will result.
                            Like I said.. All I can tell you about is from personal experience. I've never had any problems from removing it and have always put the same piston/rings back in with these motors. (Except for this last big bore I did)

So you have opinions on both sides. It's up to you to make the choice.. not us.

Tod
                            Last edited by trbig; 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

the main deal

i want this done right and i do not want to have to go back and pull everything off again..

when i get back to the house ill decide on what ill do. Ill put some pictures on here but i think i am going to hone. also i found a c clam style valve spring compressor at sears so we will see about those valves.

Also, Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been helping me through this. For a 19 year old, i think it would be cool if i got it all running and clean. Its a big accomplishment.

Oh and i think im getting that gasket set for my birthday on tuesday!! always love free stuff!
                              Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                              XJ maxim rear air shocks
                              KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                              Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                              BLACKED OUT

Comment

The Devil inside...

Playing Devil's advocate here, the down side to removing the carbon ring is possibly lost oil sealing. Other than removing built up gunk inside your engine, the up side is ??? IMHO, how much buildup can possibly accumulate in under 10k miles?? So remove or not you can't be talking about much.

If your honing the cylinders new or used rings, they will need to reseat, and then I fail to see what is different than the engine rolling off the factory floor. I feel pretty certain they don't pre-install that carbon ring at the factory and I feel pretty certain they do not blow oil couds during break in. If your NOT honing, then I maybe see the point of not removing it as there is no reseating to be done. JMHO.
                                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X