Cleaning pistons and Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning pistons and Valves

Hello everyone, I am needing to know what would the best way to clean some pretty nasty valves and the tops of the pistons. Also, what ring size should i get for when i re-install?
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Kermit - That carbonized stuff gets pretty attached to the back of the valves and stems. I used paint stripper and elbow grease. I had one of those el-cheapo wrenches they give you in a bag with nuts and bolts when you buy things that require assembly - relatively soft metal, but hard enough to scrape the deposits off. The top of my cylinders I cleaned with a wire brush, but somebody will probably scream bloody murder about that . Be careful NOT to clean the little carbon ring around the top of the cylinder - some say it can cause overheating.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

couldn't resist

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
      the top of my cylinders i cleaned with a wire brush, but somebody will probably scream bloody murder about that :d.

bloody murder! ! ! ! !

1980 XS11SG
      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

You could pretend to be a good SO and clean the oven and while you are at it spray the parts and put them in there too. Oven cleaner is great for de-carbonization. don't know how bad it is for the aluminum tho.
        K. Johnson
        -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
        triple clean and boots
        -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
        replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
        -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
        $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

BigDick - LOL
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Oven cleaner is not kind to aluminum. Try it on aluminum foil. The foil evaporates.

Comment

Use a wire brush for the valves, but not on the aluminum pistons. I found a small-ish plastic tub with a lid, poured a couple inches of Berryman's into it and stuck the pistons in there upside down, put the lid on to keep it from evaporating, and left it a couple days. It softened it up to be able to get the majority of it off.

Don't worry about removing the carbon ring at the top of the cylinder.. (Meaning that it's fine to remove that). It will have to be gone to hone the cylinders anyway.

The standard bore for the cylinders is 71.5mm. It has a wear limit of 71.6mm. I have heard of people having problems finding the standard size rings, so you may have to get the first oversized (71.75mm rings) and gently file the ends until you get the proper gap. It would be a PITA to do all of them though. If you are out of tolerance, you may consider doing a big bore on it.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
                Hello everyone, I am needing to know what would the best way to clean some pretty nasty valves and the tops of the pistons. Also, what ring size should i get for when i re-install?
                Hi Austin,
                if the valves are that nasty they need to come out so you can get the valve seats re-cut.
                Spin the valves in your drill press and use the rounded end of a hacksaw blade as a turning tool to get the worst of the crud off.
                Finish off with emery tape held against the valve with your finger tip.
                Um, depends on which oversize your pistons are, don't it?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Kirmit,

Sorry you felt like you had to tear into the head and pistons. Have you removed the jugs already?? You can get the jugs micrometered to check for out of roundness and wear limit. I think you said you had found some RUST inside the cylinder???

As was stated, the 1st oversize rings are probably what you will need to get, so you can do a HONING if the jugs are within limits. However, the ring sets are not cheap, like $40.00 a set....that's per piston!! A little big bore kit is about $400-500 depending on where you shop. It has NEW pistons, rings, wrist pins, keepers, and the oversized head gasket. You would still have the extra expense of having the jugs bored.

The problem with YAMAHA is that they quit supporting the XS11 after about 10 years after production, so 1st, 2nd, any oversized stock pistons are Unobtanium!!!! So...if your jugs are beyond wear limits, you're looking at a big bore kit of some kind. HTH!?

I've also heard of folks using some VINEGAR soaked wrags to lay on the pistons carbon to decarbonize them. It's a mild acid that works well. YMMV.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey Kirmit,

Sorry you felt like you had to tear into the head and pistons. Have you removed the jugs already?? You can get the jugs micrometered to check for out of roundness and wear limit. I think you said you had found some RUST inside the cylinder???
                    After sitting for so many years, EVERYTHING needs to be torn into.... in my opinion. Ill take some pictures and put them up here of everything.
                    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                    XJ maxim rear air shocks
                    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Pics

Here are some pictures i took. The cylinder walls look ok, no scratches and the rings are all intact.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-28-2009, 07:32 PM.
                      Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                      XJ maxim rear air shocks
                      KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                      Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                      BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                        BigDick - LOL
                        Yeah, my screw comes loose once in a while. Especially at work when I'm either bored out of my mind, or about half asleep, or wired on coffee, or any combination of those three.
                        1980 XS11SG
                        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Hmmm.. I haven't seen anything I personally would have torn it apart for. The head off maybe... to see why they quit riding it... but that carbon on the pistons isn't that bad. Maybe burning a little oil through the seals or running a bit rich.

You never did say how many miles were on the bike.

Tod

Ohhhh.... Scraping that base gasket is my FAVORITE part............ NOT!!!
                          Last edited by trbig; 03-27-2009, 07:31 PM.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you go look at my 79 Revival thread you will see that i said it had 9800 miles on it. Im doing this all because of precautions.... and its fun!
                            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                            XJ maxim rear air shocks
                            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                            BLACKED OUT

Comment

okay another question

It seems lik the rings look fine. Im going to mic everything and double check. If everything is good, do you think i could use the same piston rings??

Thanks
                              Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                              XJ maxim rear air shocks
                              KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                              Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                              BLACKED OUT

Comment

Working...
                              X