2019 Colorado Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Camping at he United Campground WILL be great come Rally time. You'all gonna be lookin' at 90's daytime temps and low 70's nite-time temps.
    My room will be a constant 73 w/cable tv and wifi.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• If it's not washed out from the flood that comes in the next two or three weeks...
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        If it's not washed out from the flood that comes in the next two or three weeks...
        Never gonna' happen. Last time such a thing took place was in '72 IIRC. That came about from rains during the fall that lasted solid for 3days and three nights. The whole valley north of United Campground was flooded from Animas River fully covering highway 550, which made the whole valley one big lake! Interesting time to say the least!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I sure agree, I hope it isn't ever going to happen.

However you use the word "never", and sounds like it did happen in 1972. Granted, that was rain. However upstream you have a fire burn scar from last summer that will not hold an ounce of water, and the snowpack number has been revised to 728% of normal from 659%.

Here's a link to an article that gives a good explanation and the snowpack in the mountains around Durango looks like it's higher now than the information I had read earlier. From 3 days ago in the Denver Post.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/3...ains-flooding/
          Last edited by Bonz; 06-03-2019, 07:01 AM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• yeah, and that huge 2.5 million pound boulder that gouged out 8 foot deep gash across Hwy 145 south of Rico along the Dolores River. That would be a fun project blowing up that huge boulder so the pieces can start to be removed.

The real time river stats from the Animas River at Durango are telling. Water Temp today dropping rapidly now at 44 degrees. Turbidity rocketed from 50 to 160. Flow has jumped up to 4,020 cu ft per sec so if it stays below 5,000 cu ft/ sec it should be ok. Think it gets dicey in Durango above 6,000 to 7,000 cu ft / sec.

With so much snowpack remaining high up, some 70" on average a big thunderstorm wouldn't be a good thing as temps are moving up.

Be interesting to see how long it takes CODOT to open 145. But they are used to dealing with those regularly occurring rock slides.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• That it did Jeff, but that location is normal for that happening when road is cutting out portion of hillside support, creating lack of hillside stability.Familar with all
              that Jeff, having been a 31yr. CDOT employee. Bonz, "never" IS very true, as it's not gonna' happen this time of year.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• I agree we won’t have a snowmelt problem in the middle of July. The campground manager said it could be bad real soon and cause problems because they are right by the river. Which if bad enough, could be a problem come mid July because the damage could mess up their tenting areas.

We will keep our eyes out on everything and see!
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Campground manager/owner I know well, as him and used to work together at CDOT and have off road/four-wheeled with many a time over the years. The campground and area is well above any flood proximity, so don't see that as ever being an issue. Just remember, the Narrow Gauge train to Silverton goes right through United Campground, so a good 'kick-stands up' timing to be leaving on a group ride

Comment

• Yeah, Tim the manager must not be the owner you are talking about. He had no idea about our group or that we had been there in 2011. He told me they were concerned about the snow melt and flooding, and I am simply passing that on to folks coming to the Rally. Call him up and tell him it won’t be a problem, he’d probably sleep better.
                    Last edited by Bonz; 06-03-2019, 09:56 PM.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Ok rally guys, I will have T-shirt pricing by the end of the weekend. The first rally I ever attended was the Durango rally in 2011. And that was a good old black shirt/white lettering. I’d like to go back to an all black with white or yellow lettering, depends which pops better to my eye. Will keep the same dri-fit/wicking fabric as the recent rally shirts.

Been working here and there on the ZRX 1200, getting the little detail stuff done now that riding season is in full swing. Tonight I tracked down a teeny coolant seep from a loose worm clamp. Yesterday I removed the countershaft sprocket cover and cleaned out the chain lube mess from the past couple years. Dang, the XS is so much more simple in both those regards! :-).

Earlier this week I bled the entire brake system front/rear until fresh fluid came out, as well as the clutch. Did some carb work in the earlier spring time tweaking the ZZR 1200 40mm carbs I have been running the past 6 years (stock ZRX carbs are 36 mm). Plug check tonight and I need to add a little outward adjustment to the pilot screws to richen up the cruise.

Gotta make sure the lead bike is gonna do just that and stay in the front!

Looks like a pretty solid 15 guys, with a good solid 3 maybes. I think 18 bikes was the most we had, at Kremmling on the Saturday ride.

Be safe guys, get those bikes ready to roll!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Post your bIke maintenance and readiness work as you get ready for the rally!

Thought it would be fun to post up what we are doing to get the trusty steeds ready for the rally.

Today I pulled the carbs off the ZRX1200, adjusted the fuel screws out a quarter turn and put a new fuel line on. Noticed some tiny black specs when I drained the float bowls and the only place it could be coming from was the fuel line. The ZZR 1200 carbs I am running I can only adjust three of the four fuel screws while on the bike, the alternator gets in the way so I can’t adjust the fourth. Drained the bowls so the fuel wouldn’t come out the vent tubes when I turn the carbs up side down to adjust them. As well, removed and cleaned/oiled the dual foam uni-pods I run on the carbs that are hidden behind the side covers. Gives me pods with the stealth stock look.

My fellow ZRX friend coming along to the rally put ZX11 cams in his 1999 ZRX1100 this week. Runs a full Kerker system with a Kerker megaphone. Awesome sound! He also put on a clear windowed pulsar cover (looks really cool) and some other little bits.
                        Last edited by Bonz; 06-07-2019, 07:18 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Ehhhh…..just the usual stuff. Changing all the oils, checking the sync, rigging up some extra luggage stuff, new tire on front, maybe a new set of plugs, and riding the hell out of it to get my butt and arms in shape. I'm gonna be going about 3500 - 4000 miles before I get back here.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Put that standard tank on too! Get yourself some more range...
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Misc repairs..

I haven't done much to Marie Marie yet but I cleaned the carbs,put a new solenoid,took the mufflers off and did a general inspection of El Toro this week.No sense in doing an oil change on it though, that occurs naturally while I'm riding it ! lol
                              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• My coolant smell turned out not to be from a hose... The coolant temperature sensor that activates the fan is located on the rear left side of the radiator, and has an o-ring that seals it when the sensor is screwed in. It has a black rubber boot over it and that kept the fluid from being visible. After a good ride today I parked it in the garage and sniffed all around the engine and radiator and was able to home in on the smell. I'll pull the sensor in the morning and put in a new o-ring.

Probably going to need/want a new rear tire by the rally, debating my options. There's probably 2500 miles left on it, but I anticipate doing a good bit of riding between now and then. I think for cost sake I'm going to put a Shinko 016 Verge dual compound on to replace the fantastic Dunlop roadsmart 3 that's on there right now. The front Dunlop roadsmart 3 hasn't even worn 1mm yet in 7500 miles. It should last through another rear tire easy.

Also removed the stock steel rear brake torque link and replaced it with an aluminum one made by the fellow on the ZRX forum. If there's one thing I love about the ZRX, there is so much support for parts that forum guys make that are better aesthetically, and that pare away the ounces and pounds over the years as I pick them up here and there. Stock weight with the stock exhaust system is 540 lb. With the full muzzy system and the parts and pieces over the years it is down to just under 500 pounds.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X