2019 Colorado Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Colorado Rally

I am very thankful for all of you who come and make the Rally the great event it is.

It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without throwing this out there for you all.

Would like to invite one and all, regulars and new friends who have been wanting to but haven’t, for a Colorado Rally summer of 2019. All bikes are welcome, the comraderie and riding are first and foremost.

There has been great riding in the four Rally’s we’ve done since 2014. This is not a “ride like your arse is on fire” event, enjoyable riding for all with great scenery is the #1 goal. Benefit of Colorado in the summer is the good weather and temps that are enjoyable along with well paved roads and not a lot of traffic.

Offered up the Durango area as an idea for 2019, revisit the Durango Rally of 2011 that was nicely attended. A bit closer for the western/west coast contingent, and a really nice ride in from the east for the fellows coming from the other side of the country/midwest.

This year, it worked really well arriving on a Thursday for those that can. Nice ride on Friday with those who were there, then the rest arrived on Friday afternoon for main rides on Saturday and Sunday, head out Monday.

Date options are July 11-15 or July 18-22. I like July 11-15.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bonz; 11-21-2018, 10:22 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

I'll be looking to schedule the trip up. Durango sounds good.

I still want to make the trip north afterwards like I was planning last year, Yellowstone and Montana.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      I'll be looking to schedule the trip up. Durango sounds good.

I still want to make the trip north afterwards like I was planning last year, Yellowstone and Montana.
      Well, for you looks to be a better option than May, riding thru snow over those passes as previously done some four yrs. prior.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Well, for you looks to be a better option than May, riding thru snow over those passes as previously done some four yrs. prior.
        That trip was an adventure to remember for a lifetime Brant. And HELLS YEAH! I would do it again!
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The usual suspects

I'll be there, whenever there,winds up being,I always enjoy seeing the usual suspects and meeting the new ones too.Thank you Howard to organising great routes and keeping this rally alive, let me know if there is any way I can assist.
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Thanks for the chime-in fellas. Good to hear from you BA. Appreciate your help Joe with the truck and trailer logistics to get some things to the rally.

After the first of the year campgrounds begin taking reservations, that’ll be the next step. Will let you guys know what things look like as time gets closer.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post

Durango area as an idea for 2019

This year, it worked really well arriving on a Thursday for those that can. Nice ride on Friday with those who were there, then the rest arrived on Friday afternoon for main rides on Saturday and Sunday, head out Monday.

Date options are July 11-15 or July 18-22. I like July 11-15.

Thoughts?
              JAT:
              Anything we can find out about other Durango / Cortez / Silverton / Ouray Area Events July 11 to 15 vs. 18 to 22?

Fiesta Days? Harley Days? Bicycle Days? Durango Days? Choo-Choo Convention?
              events that would create with heavy traffic, congestion or rolling roadblocks along the loops we plan to ride

I looked at the Durango Events calendar but it appears not kept up current. Also not seeing anything that's a major impediment / obstacle on CODOT for the area.

Guess that availability (one week vs. the other) at United Campground will also be a tell as to demand for one vs the other.

Haven't stayed at the Spanish Trails Inn but that is close (say 2.5 miles away). Bad reviews but it is cheap. Many other motels to choose from nearby. But it is July so peak tourist season rates set accordingly. I paid $130 for the ok Durango Travelodge in July after leaving the Gunnison Rally. Better motels $140 to $170 a night. There is an Iron Horse just up US550 from the campground but I don't know if that is a motel or time share.

Jeff
              Last edited by JeffH; 11-25-2018, 12:19 PM.
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

United Campgrounds was used for 2011 Durango Rally. Nice place. Iron Horse is a condo/apartment complex now I believe, not a hotel, per se.

Hotels are what they are, like in Gunnison last year they are going to be higher than in previous years @ Canon City or Kremmling.

Start putting away the extra pennies now, should be fine by July.

Many things will be updated like campground rates, city events, etc, after the new year. I will keep things posted once we get there on the dates, rates, etc.
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

If I mumble something about being interested I'll get notices of updates to this thread Maybe 2019 will be the year to Go West (old) Man

Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Good to hear. Plenty of room out west, lots of country for old men... That'd be most of us now.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

The Vintage Riders and Bike Rally?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

"2019 Colorado Rally" sounds so much more modern. Even though we aren't...

Let other fellows put vintage in their title. LOL, haha, ROFL...
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

yeah, the real XS11 Rally has kind of gone the way of the dodo bird as so many XSives have 'gone modern' for a variety of reasons.

Sure hope that upgrading 11.com will help attract some new younger folks into xs11's. Site traffic and comments related to xs11 sure has been pretty quiet all 2018. Site upgrade and getting some new members will hopefully get more 11's in reliable running condition and coming to an 11 rally.

I hope to bring one of my xs11's if I can. CO Rally always a good draw for folks actually riding 11's. Always great to have Skids, Joe, Mike, Scott, Greg, Roo and others roll in on their 11's.

Always a fun time (and getting to Colorado in the middle of summers heat and severe weather adds to the memorable experience for the LD riders)

Jeff
                          Last edited by JeffH; 11-25-2018, 04:46 PM.
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Ivan, Russ, and Harry have all gone FJR. Got rid of all of their XS stuff.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Ivan, Russ, and Harry have all gone FJR. Got rid of all of their XS stuff.
                              Yes, what's this world coming to???

You now a pace setter.
                              You ride to CO. Ride to XSSE / VYR. Ride to anywhere on your 11. amazing

You and Scott. Mike too, on the LD miles. I got to get busy working on mine after fall chores & house chores get done. My LD 11 made it trouble free to CO once and after a 20K full servicing should do it again.

Maybe John will ride his from TX?

Jeff

ps. MaximPhil, any chance your Addie could make the CO trip? That would be a hoot ……..
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                              X