No announcement yet.

2019 Colorado Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rally before that when we did the Peak (You and Bohn didn’t go up, think you met Miles for lunch?) we stopped in the entry line and waited until cars had gotten a good ways ahead, then started up and moved forward. Repeated a few times until we got to the entry gate. BUT the ride up once in through the gate wasn’t near as exasperating, slow but a heck of a lot more steady. A few guys were worried if they shut down they wouldn’t re-start if I recall, so we didn’t do that routine the second time.
    Last edited by Bonz; 12-25-2018, 08:15 PM.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Yes, Bohn & I missed that one to see Miles & Janice Baker for lunch.

After lunch, we had some time to kill.
      So, as we were sitting on a bench enjoying the view, Bohn suddenly sees
      an ice cream parlor up the street on top of the hill. One minute he was there
      with me, the next... he was a memory that once was.

(For those of you that don’t yet know, Bohn LOVES ice cream, and there was a cone calling his name to be answered.)

It’s become pretty much a ritual everywhere we travel.
      It’s amazing how he can spot these places, too.

But... not that I’m complaining or anything.......GREG.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hope you Midwest folk do well through this storm heading your way or on top of you now. And maybe gonna hit north eastern states as well, so be safe.
        Last edited by Bonz; 12-26-2018, 10:53 PM.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Thought you guys that have done Pikes Peak would appreciate this...

Road still open all the way up, no snow yet to speak of this year, -11 wind chill on top today.

Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I just read through this whole thread and I still have no idea on a SOLID date or place. Durango seems like a good idea but how is it for those of you doing the planning? Seems a bit far from home.

I need to turn in a vacation request soon and start planning for heading North afterwards.

Not to mention possibly swapping engines in Ol' Okie. I have a 79 Special with a good engine but a bent frame that came from Bob Falter's garage.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok, here you go!

Moderator/TC: can you put this info in the opening post, or give me the editing privileges for this thread please?

Colorado Rally 2019 - Durango

-July 11-15, 2019 (Thursday thru Monday) arrive Thurs or Friday, main rides Saturday and Sunday depart Monday. Friday ride possibility as we get closer for those that come Thursday. Ride routes TBA.

-Command Central: United Campground, Durango Co. Located on the north side of Durango. We have group block of tent sites. Based on 10 guys +/- a guy or two, $8.50 per head per night. Deposit of $85 covers the full block of sites. I will take care the deposit. Settle up with me at the rally for your deposit portion based on number of guys. Then each guy can take care of their own amount for the stay at the campground.

-Hotel/motel options abound, www.hotels.com or use your favorite search.

-Typically we do a cookout or three in the evenings, depends on weather, etc. Breakfasts on your own, lunches during rides usually have at least a few places to choose from.

-T-shirt details, other info and general info will be added to the Rally Site that Jerry typically puts up, otherwise keep your eyes open here.
              Last edited by Bonz; 01-05-2019, 04:47 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Thanks Howard.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

U bet.

FWIW, FYI, there are no cabin options at United Campground. It’s a tent at the campground or hotel in town. There are RV hookups, I know Brant did that back in 2011.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

How close to town?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Campground is just outside the north edge of town. There are 6 hotels/motels 2 miles or less to the south along Hwy 550 (Main Street).

Here’s a Trip Advisor link that will show a bunch of options.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsNe..._Colorado.html

Walmart is about 7 miles from the Campground.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        How close to town?
                        Greg,
                        Just northern outskirts of Durango, next to I-H on the Animas River which along the trees before the base of the hill
                        You drove right by the Campground which is just to the right of this 'other' I-H
                        However since you like to ride the Million Dollar Highway in a blizzard you likely missed it
                        the sign was likely covered with ice and blowing snow when you rode by

From the looks of things it seems I have better weather luck than you
                        Rode up US550 Durango to Silverton, then back down to Durango then back up to Silverton.
                        Tires weren't the same after that. Sunny and no traffic

After 2018 Gunnison Rally I stayed in Durango at Travelodge.
                        I already booked there again for Jul 11 to 15th this year.
                        I was looking at Spanish Trails Inn and Budget Inn on Main Ave / US550 but they seem to be pretty trashy.
                        Travelodge was $95 a night w/ tax

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Trying to Talk Marty into coming but he says with the new job he won't have enough vacation time.

Think I'll try Travelocity or one of those to see what I can find. Durango isn't that big.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Durango is set up for summer tourists with more hotels than it needs otherwise. Once past July 4th, it slows down as there are no more major summer holidays. Also Ft. Lewis College is in Durango, loses the student population in the summer. Makes for nice relaxing atmosphere after the 4th.

The rates Jeff got are really good on that nice of a place, make reservations now guys. I would suspect the cancellation policy at most places there is favorable if things change.
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

[QUOTE=BA80;510556]How close to town?[/QUOTE
                              2mi. Greg, as that is my home town.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Who’s going be camping? Would like to start a head count.

Thanks gents.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X