2019 Colorado Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Been a while since anybody's checked in here! Keep your eyes open sometime around or shortly after Thanksgiving... 😊
    Will do Howard.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• LOST seems to be lost...

Living in the state of ILL, I checked the LOST thread, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of life. That said, and the invite extended therein, has me considering making the 2020 Colorado Rally. Beautiful country, and if I ever get my final drive swapped out, I can sustain highway speeds without cringing at the sound of my engine.
      I don't post much, but have been a member for a while, so I've read a few posts here and there. Anyway, the more I look at my XS11LH, the more I love her, and I'd really like the chance to meet up with some of you good folks and enjoy some nice rides on her. Looks like the event might wind up on my bucket list here shortly. You only live once, you know. Keep the info coming as you can, and as the time gets closer my plans can become firmer.

-Jon-
      1981 XS1100LH MNS #103 ("Dark Side")
      Yamaha "Mini Cruiser" Windscreen, K & N filters, Iridium Plugs, ATK Fork Brace, LED T.S. Conversion, Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.
      Otherwise all original, definitely a Survivor.
      Previous:
      1981 XS850LH MNS (R.I.P. 1983), 1982 XJ650 SECA TURBO, 1983 XJ650 SECA TURBO
      Cage:
      2K2 TB

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dudenatz View Post
        Living in the state of ILL, I checked the LOST thread, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of life. That said, and the invite extended therein, has me considering making the 2020 Colorado Rally. Beautiful country, and if I ever get my final drive swapped out, I can sustain highway speeds without cringing at the sound of my engine.
        I don't post much, but have been a member for a while, so I've read a few posts here and there. Anyway, the more I look at my XS11LH, the more I love her, and I'd really like the chance to meet up with some of you good folks and enjoy some nice rides on her. Looks like the event might wind up on my bucket list here shortly. You only live once, you know. Keep the info coming as you can, and as the time gets closer my plans can become firmer.
        Post this in the LOST thread. Maybe someone will get off their posterior and do something. I've been to several in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Contemplating where to hold the rally next summer. There will be a Colorado rally, would like to aim for the first full weekend after the 4th of July weekend. That would mean guys could start arriving Thursday evening on the 9th, and everyone usually arrives by Friday which would be the 10th. Put together some type of ride on Friday for the guys that are there. Then main rides on the 11th and 12th.

Hope that helps you guys start planning, there you go!

There has been good input from valued friends about trying to do something in conjunction with the start of Sturgis and heading that direction. I just am not able to pull that off so I need to let guys know that isn't in the plans.
          Last edited by Bonz; 12-13-2019, 08:53 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            Contemplating where to hold the rally next summer. There will be a Colorado rally, would like to aim for the first full weekend after the 4th of July weekend. That would mean guys could start arriving Thursday evening on the 9th, and everyone usually arrives by Friday which would be the 10th. Put together some type of ride on Friday for the guys that are there. Then main rides on the 11th and 12th.

Hope that helps you guys start planning, there you go!

There has been good input from valued friends about trying to do something in conjunction with the start of Sturgis and heading that direction. I just am not able to pull that off so I need to let guys know that isn't in the plans.
            yep, having some sort of a Hop On - Hop Off Rolling Rally (like we have done for the February Florida / Key West trip) from say Cortez to Sturgis be good trip but it would certainly cannibalize some attendees from the July CO Rally. Sturgis dates look to be August 7th to 16th so Rolling Rally To-From Sturgis would be something like Aug 5th - 12th to make it fun and worthwhile.

July 9-13 looks ok for me if I can make it. Penciled it into my calendar. In VA up till 4th so would have to high step it as able 6-7-8th (to deal with those severe T-storms and tornados) to get there Thurs early afternoon.

Jeff
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              yep, having some sort of a Hop On - Hop Off Rolling Rally (like we have done for the February Florida / Key West trip) from say Cortez to Sturgis be good trip but it would certainly cannibalize some attendees from the July CO Rally. Sturgis dates look to be August 7th to 16th so Rolling Rally To-From Sturgis would be something like Aug 5th - 12th to make it fun and worthwhile.

July 9-13 looks ok for me if I can make it. Penciled it into my calendar. In VA up till 4th so would have to high step it as able 6-7-8th (to deal with those severe T-storms and tornados) to get there Thurs early afternoon.

Jeff
              Hi Jeff,
              does high step mean multiple days of hammering down the slab......could still be interested in following you. At least I would not be lost and some pictures would get taken
              Then , if Greg showed up, I would follow him to Montana to see a real
              Rodeo
              I need a new back tire for next year anyway

Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• To be clear I wasn't suggesting or contemplating a rolling rally, just that some of the valued friends suggested to have it centered around the start of Sturgis. We would have met there and done riding around the area a few days before and taken part in the first day of Sturgis. Wouldn't work with my school schedule first and foremost so any other elements didn't really come into play for or against.
                Last edited by Bonz; 12-14-2019, 07:34 PM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Personally, I have no interest in going anywhere near Sturgis. Never have, never will.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Personally, I have no interest in going anywhere near Sturgis. Never have, never will.
                    Hi Greg,
                    I would like to go to Sturgis.....but not when the massive Harley invasion is on.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• Would figure an XS or such to be the invasive species lol.
                      1980 xs1100SG "Silent Killer"
                      1948 HD FL "Thin Mint"
                      1978 FLH 80 "Grumpy"
                      1960 HD FLH Duo "Blue" (w/family in Sacramento)
                      1986 Honda CMX 450 (51hp rat sleeper) SOLD

Comment

• Does the town have anything other than Sturgis to provide cash influx? Seems you could make a lot of money real quick and then just cruise the other 49 or 50 weeks each year.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Does the town have anything other than Sturgis to provide cash influx? Seems you could make a lot of money real quick and then just cruise the other 49 or 50 weeks each year.

The XS would fit in with its classic lines, IMO. Doesn't seem to be so much about the Harleys as it is about just being there on something and taking part.

Edit:. Sorry for the double post above. Went ahead and added to it so it would distinguish itself from the other one.
                          Last edited by Bonz; 12-16-2019, 05:12 PM.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• A bunch of posers that carry their Hardleys to a trailer rally.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Rally Time

Well, if the Colo. rally is July, possibly a Colo. and Sturgis trip could work,,,,been there a few years ago with Roo, broinlaw and Steve, the main town, Sturgis is about a mile long bike bonanza and stores. A cool walkabout to see massive cycle stuff, takes about two hours. Pretty calm, I was expecting gangs, hardcore HD, but got 80 percent HD newbies, lots of customized bikes to see, not enough scantily clad women, tons of food. We actually enjoyed the nearby town of Deadwood, same scene as Sturgis, but no wall to wall crowds. For anyone going, the biggest worry is new HD riders, inexperienced with lots of curving roads, so lots of wide turning and crashes. We rode outside Sturgis, beautiful roads and sights, anyway for all the craziness of Sturgis, it is the comraderie of bikes that the riders are there, guess which bike got all the attention, my old Yam XJ Maxim, the locals were living years past and crowded around it just to see a bike a lot of them rode or remember, a million or so HD and the Yamaha was the crowd pleaser, go figure. ANyway, hope to make it to Colo. rally with the great Bonz and crew, and maybe a crosscountry trip to Ohio via Sturgis.....ride on,, Mike in Sun DIego
                              mike
                              1982 xj1100 maxim
                              1981 venture bagger
                              1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                              1959 wife

Comment

• Thanks for the post Mike! Look forward to seeing you next summer hopefully!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X