2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield for Scott

Howdy 3Phase,,,,maybe bum the clipon windshield Roo used on his bobber for the rally on his Greenie...its got good protection and quick to install since he is taking his VTX,,,,,,or you can ride down here I have a choice of a Black Vetter setup or a clip on full size slipstreamer. Without a fairing the long ride would be a challenge. Good Luck...................Mike in San Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

• OK, the shirt order is placed, added a few extra in popular sizes for folks that want one but haven’t responded yet.

Three out of four evenings this week have been beautiful for riding. Been doing 78 miles out and back each evening on the ZRX on a favorite sweeper curve road that leads to a fun twisty canyon road. I am liking the new Road Smart 3 tires, good tire overall. Got to get to know the new tires before I start leading you guys around in the mountains again!

Talked with Harry, he is rolling Shinko 009 Raven’s on his FJR. I ran the same tires on my ZRX and got over 10,000 miles from the rear and 12,500 out the front. Ran a set of Shinko Verge tires after them and got similar mileage. Maybe a tad less, but close enough to call them equal. Info for the sport touring fellows if they’re going to put new rubber on before the rally.

On another note, found my copy of Keith Code’s book “Twist of the Wrist II”. Man, there’s some good stuff in there in terms of riding technique and throttle control especially navigating corners. I think everyone who rides should have copy of it, no matter where you are riding, will be riding, or how much you think you know.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
        Howdy 3Phase,,,,maybe bum the clipon windshield Roo used on his bobber for the rally on his Greenie...its got good protection and quick to install since he is taking his VTX,,,,,,or you can ride down here I have a choice of a Black Vetter setup or a clip on full size slipstreamer. Without a fairing the long ride would be a challenge. Good Luck...................Mike in San Diego
        It's complicated, Mike, I'll be riding the Harley.

Yesterday, I started to add the power wires for the Garmin, today I have to finish installing it. If you're going to be home this weekend, I was thinking about a ride down to Sun Diego to make sure it works.

On the XJ, there's some weirdness with the windshield brackets where they're attached to the front turn signal mounts. I can't remember what it is right now but I can't just remove the windshield brackets and have front turn signals that work. To make things even better, when the windshield brackets were, uh, mounted to the triple tree, the stock Grade 8 bolts and washers for the fork tube clamps were kludged with longer bolts and larger washers that don't fit down into the recessed well in the upper fork tube clamp.

Unfortunately, the threaded part of the longer bolts is too short and without the windshield brackets, they run out of thread and bottom out on the bolt shank before they cinch the triple tree clamps to the fork tubes. I'd use a die to fix the threads but Grade 8 bolts aren't fun to work with and it would definitely mess up the anti-rust coating.

The mount brackets can't be removed or the forks will fall off and the turn signals won't work so I've just been riding it with the empty brackets sticking out like antlers because I'm too lazy to buy new bolts and washers. The bike runs and handles like a terrified female tree rat.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
          It's complicated, Mike, I'll be riding the Harley.

Yesterday, I started to add the power wires for the Garmin, today I have to finish installing it. If you're going to be home this weekend, I was thinking about a ride down to Sun Diego to make sure it works.

On the XJ, there's some weirdness with the windshield brackets where they're attached to the front turn signal mounts. I can't remember what it is right now but I can't just remove the windshield brackets and have front turn signals that work. To make things even better, when the windshield brackets were, uh, mounted to the triple tree, the stock Grade 8 bolts and washers for the fork tube clamps were kludged with longer bolts and larger washers that don't fit down into the recessed well in the upper fork tube clamp.

Unfortunately, the threaded part of the longer bolts is too short and without the windshield brackets, they run out of thread and bottom out on the bolt shank before they cinch the triple tree clamps to the fork tubes. I'd use a die to fix the threads but Grade 8 bolts aren't fun to work with and it would definitely mess up the anti-rust coating.

The mount brackets can't be removed or the forks will fall off and the turn signals won't work so I've just been riding it with the empty brackets sticking out like antlers because I'm too lazy to buy new bolts and washers. The bike runs and handles like a terrified female tree rat.
          Always gotta' make a test run Scott!....should make for a decent ride. Also, your HD will fit nicely in the 'man-cave' amongst the other variety of rides coming here on way to Buenny Rally in July.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Always gotta' make a test run Scott!....should make for a decent ride. Also, your HD will fit nicely in the 'man-cave' amongst the other variety of rides coming here on way to Buenny Rally in July.
            Roo called and we talked about the layover in Mesquite, he's got the room booked. I don't know if the SoCal crew and I are traveling together or not, we need to do some more communicationing and I may have to change my KOA reservation to only 3 nights. That's going to hurt.

Right now, I have 4 nights at the KOA, Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Monday, July 16, 2018.

I finally planned an extra day on-site to give me time to recover from the ride and get semi-sort-of-acclimated to the altitude that's been kicking my tail. I start out at 800' in California, then end up somewhere in the Colorado mountains where I can read the name tags on the flight crew and flick leftover tequila s'more marshmallows on them when their jets fly overhead.

Every time so far, I've been dragging the next day and not really enthusiastic about riding until Sunday, then the rally's over and it's time to go home.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• That’s a good by-product for you arriving on Thursday, Scott. I hadn’t thought of that, for sure will help guys that show up early from low elevation. For the guys that are here Thursday we can do a more local and shorter ride Friday, we’ll figure that one out based on who’s there and where the wind wants to blow us.
              Last edited by Bonz; 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Rally HQ

What time you expecting Rally HQ to be operational on Thurs?
                After you guys meet & ride on Thurs, or before?

As the wind blows, great plan. Everybody happy.

I should show up Thurs early evening and plan to ride along on whatever ride happens on Friday.
                and Saturday ....... and Sunday .......

I'll be hitting up the Walmart in Salida on the way in for a few things I don't want to drag along all the way from Georgia.

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 06-22-2018, 07:19 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Roo called and we talked about the layover in Mesquite, he's got the room booked. I don't know if the SoCal crew and I are traveling together or not, we need to do some more communicationing and I may have to change my KOA reservation to only 3 nights. That's going to hurt.

Right now, I have 4 nights at the KOA, Thursday, July 12, 2018 - Monday, July 16, 2018.

I finally planned an extra day on-site to give me time to recover from the ride and get semi-sort-of-acclimated to the altitude that's been kicking my tail. I start out at 800' in California, then end up somewhere in the Colorado mountains where I can read the name tags on the flight crew and flick leftover tequila s'more marshmallows on them when their jets fly overhead.

Every time so far, I've been dragging the next day and not really enthusiastic about riding until Sunday, then the rally's over and it's time to go home.
                  lol.....remember the tequila'n'marshmellews WAY to well at the Caly Rally in 2010.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    What time you expecting Rally HQ to be operational on Thurs?
                    After you guys meet & ride on Thurs, or before?

As the wind blows, great plan. Everybody happy.

I should show up Thurs early evening and plan to ride along on whatever ride happens on Friday.
                    and Saturday ....... and Sunday .......

I'll be hitting up the Walmart in Salida on the way in for a few things I don't want to drag along all the way from Georgia.

Jeff
                    You're doing the long-haul ride again, Jeff, right on!

In the past, I've had a tendency to overpack. (innocent look) I'm not even bringing a sleeping bag or a tent this time, I got one of those KOA port-a-cabins. You have to bring your own bedding for those so I'll buy a bag in Buena Vista or Salida, then leave it at the campground or with the first homeless person I see.

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    lol.....remember the tequila'n'marshmellews WAY to well at the Caly Rally in 2010.
                    Those were good, weren't they! Nobody believed me until they tried 'em but that was fine, more for us.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

• That reminds me, who else is riding long-distance for this rally besides Jeff?
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

• OK, sounds like we have a new tradition to restart. Is that paradoxical? New tradition... Re-start... does that work? We gotta do T’killya and marshmallows one night.

Stage II fire ban is in effect currently. No campfires, charcoal grills, etc. propane or gas grills are permitted. Not sure how to do that one for any cookout we would do. Plan on eating supper locally versus cooking at the campground.

No open smoking, must be in a closed vehicle, building or trailer. So you smokers better check into Vape pens...

Check in is 11 AM, I’ll get out there around that time on Thursday the 12th.

Salida WalMart is 22 miles or so from the KOA, easy to make a run and pick up things like cheaper sleeping bags, bedding, etc. Only grocery stores and the local places in Buena Vista so prices on the above items would be higher locally.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• To make a tequila s'more, you get the little bit of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows like a regular s'more.

Before you toast the marshmallow, poke a small hole in it with your finger, then put in a shot of tequila and pinch it shut before you toast it. They're excellent but if there's a fire alert, that's not happening.

I finished putting the GPS on the bike today and it works but I wasn't happy with the final layout so I took it off. I'll mess with it later, I still need to go for a ride so I'm not bouncing off the walls, I hope I don't get lost on the way to San Diego.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

To make a tequila s'more, you get the little bit of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows like a regular s'more.

Before you toast the marshmallow, poke a small hole in it with your finger, then put in a shot of tequila and pinch it shut before you toast it. They're excellent but if there's a fire alert, that's not happening.

I finished putting the GPS on the bike today and it works but I wasn't happy with the final layout so I took it off. I'll mess with it later, I still need to go for a ride so I'm not bouncing off the walls, I hope I don't get lost on the way to San Diego.
                            On two wheels......never 'lost'...…..just a 'scenic route'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                              (snip)

Check in is 11 AM, I’ll get out there around that time on Thursday the 12th. (snip)
                              KOA site rules say check in is after 2:00 and check out is 11:00.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Thank you Sid, I transposed the check in/out times when I looked at the website. Correct, check in is 2 PM.

Hey guys wanted to let you know I talked to CaptonZap today, he won’t be joining us this year. He’s had a lot of detail stuff to work on over the last eight months, hasn’t had his XS out from under the cover yet this year and just not enough time to do the stuff he needs to and still join us at the rally.

On another note, I plan to ride out to Buena Vista area next Thursday and Friday and will have more details on ride routes for the guys that want to look at that before they come out.

The website says there is the Cookshack that serves breakfast in the summer season at the KOA, so probably coffee will be available as well! Harry, you don’t have to bring the coffee pot back with you.

Temperatures have been in the 80s and will continue through next week. I’ll keep updating the forecast from my more local standpoint as things get closer. Nighttime temps are getting down into the mid to high 40s, be sure to have layers as always when coming out here to peel off as we ride throughout the day.

Start hydrating early so that you’re having to get out of your truck with a trailer or off your bike more often than you want in order to pee. If you arrive low on hydration, it’s a lot harder to get caught back up. You will avoid headaches and other crummy feelings that go with it.

Also, bring a roll or two of Rolaids to have in case you start to feel the altitude. Rolaids specifically, not Tums or other antacid tablets. They have some bicarbonate in them that helps your body deal with the higher elevation. Trust me, from four summers of outfitting in my younger days dealing with flatlanders and continuing through my adult years, they flat out help if you start to feel the effects of altitude.

Who is going to bring a comprehensive tool kit with them? CaptonZap typically had a kitchen sink along with him, and 3Phase almost... However 3phase is on the modern Milwaukee 8 Harley and probably won’t bring more than a toothbrush. He’s going to break his streak of consecutive rallies doing an early morning valve cover removal and clearance check. At least we won’t have to go crawling through gravel looking for shims that didn’t really fly out of the top end after all... I have tools specific to my ZRX that I can do what I need, but won’t necessarily translate to an XS/XJ. You guys typically come prepared but again, as Chief Cat Herder it needs to be mentioned.

Gas prices for regular run in the low $2.90 a gallon in Salida, $2.99 -$3.29 in Buena Vista depending on the station and in that same general range everywhere else we will be riding. Probably a bit more spendy than it was last year, so tune those carbs and make those bikes run like sewing machines! If you have fuel injected bikes, typically your gas mileage will go up at higher elevation so you will already be ahead of the game. Carb bikes also benefit from the higher elevation to eek out a few more mpg, in both cases fuel injection or carburetors, 25% less air resistance plays a big role.
                                Last edited by Bonz; 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X