Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    Way to go, Joe and Bonz!

I don't have any trouble breathing at all. It does take a day to get used to not being squished by all the air down here in the flatlands while my body does the Michelin Man thing and vents like the campfire beans routine in Blazing Saddles.

Brant, I brushed my hair up like that for the picture -- wow!
    Well, least you'd look like the Michelin Man with only a slow leak when reaching THIS point of journey.....and for camp location, just some 600ft. higher than last yrs. camp location with warmer temps than last yr......just cause that what it is in Buenny area. Here in G. Junction, bumpin' the 103temp. today with a whoppin' 4% humidity! Breath deeply my friend, it's all good.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Made a 261 mile ride out to Gunnison from my home in Palmer Lake today. Took part of the ride I'd like to do for the rally down to saguache from Buena Vista and then up 114 to Gunnison. It was hot as buckets on the Front Range today, much nicer once I got out to the Buena Vista/Salida area.

Instead of going south out of Colorado Springs and down to Canon City and west on Highway 50, I went West up Hwy 24 to Woodland Park/Divide and took the roads we did for the first couple rallies from there over to the Royal Gorge to stay at higher elevation (cooler temps!). When I hit Highway 50 at the Royal Gorge I had to zip my vents shut on my jacket in order to stay cooler. It was like a hair dryer.

Anyway, lots of open roads with mountains in the distance to make good time on and then some nice riding on Highway 114 once west out of Saguache about 25 miles.

Got a good day of riding tomorrow as well, hitting the hay.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• I did 629 miles from when I left at 1:40 pm yesterday, to when I shut the ZRX down in the driveway at 5:30 PM today.

Holy cow did I hit the mother lode of rides today!

I would like to propose a longer ride for one of the days and you guys will remember it for a long time!

For you guys riding the rally, I want your thoughts.

I left Gunnison this morning, rode west on Hwy 50 along the Beautiful Blue Mesa reservoir for 28 miles (55-65 mph speed limits) turned north on Hwy 92 across the dam at the head of the reservoir and rode the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to Crawford (42 miles of absolute visual and riding bliss, 25-35 mph postings on the curves, but can be ridden a bit quicker in my opinion) and then 10 miles further to Hotchkiss. At Hotchkiss went east on Hwy 133 through orchards and vineyards for miles, up and over McClure pass, then turns to a wonderful sweeper road all the way into Carbondale. From Carbondale it’s 30 miles on Hwy 82 (65 mph 4 lane) to Aspen, follow Hwy 82 out of Aspen up over Independence Pass (great shape, narrow in a few places as advertised, but incredible scenery/riding, IMO) east to Hwy 24 and 20 miles south back to Buena Vista.

The piece of the puzzle I didn’t ride today... From Buena Vista to Gunnison is 82 miles. If we get an early start with food in our bellies, we can bust that out in an hour and a half up and over Monarch Pass to start the day. Then the ride continues as described above. 319 miles total.

Gas is available no further than 70 miles apart for the entire loop, Temperatures will stay cooler and darn nice at the elevations we will be running. It only got hot coming off of Independence Pass once I got back to Highway 24 heading south to Buena Vista.

The second ride is still planned to be from Buena Vista down through Poncha Springs, heading over to Saguache, then taking Highway 114 up to Gunnison. Can have lunch in Gunny (many nice places to eat) then back on Hwy 50 E up and over Monarch Pass and finish back in Buena Vista. About a 200 mile day, but 65 and 70 mph cruising to get to Highway 114 and then 65 mph speed limit on Highway 50 going back up and over Monarch Pass. Some nice twisties on Highway 114 for the second half, otherwise it’s taking in the scenery. Gas no further than 70 miles apart as well.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• A great idea !

Bonz,Thanks for scoping out the routes for the upcoming rally,
          I think your planned route sounds GREAT! (as usual).
          Where you lead ...I will follow.
          78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Joe, you have that flasher relay all squared away? Haha. Which bike are you going to be riding?
            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Marie Marie

I'll be riding that same bike (Marie Marie) Now that I eliminated that relay and properly affixed the baffle. El Toro as a conversation piece/ spare
              78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post

(snip) 25-35 mph postings on the curves, but can be ridden a bit quicker in my opinion) and then 10 miles further to Hotchkiss. (snip)
                I don't want to slow down the group, but generally I try and keep my speed to no more than 5 over the posted limits. Then again, I don't want to do the big ride alone. Sooo, if anyone wants to ride less than break-neck speed, I am in for the longer ride (I think). :-)
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• One item of note that we all need to be very careful with at the KOA. Because it is so dry out there the normal dirt roads have become very loose/sandy, to the point of inches of sand/dirt. The front end will push/slide very easily at a moments notice.

Our campsite is up a bit of a hill, and especially going down hill and navigating the campground be thinking of that starting now!

If you guys can bring something to put your side stand on or your center stand on, that is advisable. Anything just simply sinks in this ground.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Have ridden the proposed route in sections, never as a compete ride, but scenery is excellent. Have ridden the Black Canyon route several times. There is a rest area at the west end at the top of the canyon before you drop in. Proposed route has us coming out that way and this would be a good place to stop / regroup and offers some photo opportunities as well.

After dropping off McClure pass you are in the Crystal River Valley, very scenic and cool as it gets narrow in spots (not the road, which is a very good 2-lane) and you are quite near the water. Pass Hayes Creek waterfall on your left. Also pass the historic hamlet of Redstone and the coke ovens. (Not the drug kind, coke was made here to use in processing steel in Colorado Springs.)

Rest area at the top of Independence Pass would make a good stopping point to regroup and "rest" if so needed. Excellent views of Twin Lakes as you come down the west side. Town of Twin lakes has a small store where you can stop for water, soda, snack foods before heading the rest of the way to Hwy 82.

I am up for this long of a trip (by rally standards) but we would need to get started early. You certainly would get a variety of terrain and riding conditions!

One note that bears repeating: It is hot in Colorado. Bring plenty of water (I would suggest a minimum of 2 liters) plus your sun block and riding gloves. Also suggest a light long-sleeve shirt if you have not bought the rally version; you will find it more comfortable to ride in long sleeves than short.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                      I'll be riding that same bike (Marie Marie) Now that I eliminated that relay and properly affixed the baffle. El Toro as a conversation piece/ spare
                      I still have very fond memories of Joe and I falling back and drag racing through whatever town that was, both of us with basically open exhausts. Ahhh good times.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• And that route sounds great to me Bonz. I don't know any of the area. As someone already said, Where you lead I will follow. Like a lemming, so i hope you stay on the road.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• On another more serious note, Skids and Sebastian_99 live in Florissant, West of Woodland Park. Skids is under pre-evacuation status with a forest fire less than a mile from his house. I literally drove right by there on Hwy 24 coming back from Buena Vista yesterday as the fire had just started. Don't know about Sebastian, but he is right there as well.

Prayers!
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Any update on the fire?
                            Harry

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                              Any update on the fire?
                              It burns.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I tried to ride the bike today, got in 60 miles but turned back when the plume from to local fire was headed north towards the house. We did get put on a preevacuation notice. We are very close to a raging wildfire. My next door neighbor was the commander until he was sent home for lack of sleep. Within the last hour I have seen many slurry bombers including the big jet.
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X