No announcement yet.

2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey skids, you interested in riding with me later this coming week when I check out the rally roads? Thinking leaving Palmer Lake Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday morning.

Let me know when we can text or PM or actually talk over the phone.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Looking forward to seeing you again and tip a few back around a propane flame at the campground...

Rained hard along the Front Range today don't know what the weather was like in the middle of the mountains around Buena Vista.

Going to take a week of consistent precipitation every day to make a dent in a fire ban. Especially with the height of tourist season and Fourth of July coming up, probably will leave everything in effect until the fall.
      Originally posted by skids View Post
      Florissant is on the way Bonz and we didn’t get a damn drop of rain. I even took the Honda out TRYING to get it to rain, but nothing.
      HA! Montana is under water right now. I hope some of it dries up before I get there.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• [QUOTE=3Phase;507610]Right on! That's a good ride! Is your new battery still holding up and your FJR comfortable over that kind of distance? That was going to be my new bike but sales, the mechanics, and the HMFIC at the local dealership worked very hard over the years to lose my business when I went shopping.

That Lithium Ion battery i got out there last year has been very good, no complaints. And i did that same trip in reverse last year, the Colorado rally then on to idaho and eventually back to KC. The bike is pretty damn comfy for long distance. Did just shy of 900 miles one day before thunderstorms, lightning and hail convinced me to stop for the night two hours from home.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• The $99 lithium ion battery I picked up off Amazon and put in my ZRX before last year’s rally is working like a charm. This winter, I deliberately fired the bike up in subfreezing temperatures in the garage this winter and after five seconds or so of cranking, I paused for a few seconds then applied full choke and she fired up within a few seconds.

It’s a saved over 9 pounds of weight from the Yuasa stock battery and cranks 12.5:1 compression pistons effortlessly.

I made a stupid human error and sprayed the ZRX carbs with some carb cleaner to clear out the pilot orifices, then left for the day. When I came back that evening and put the carbs on the bike, it would not run for stink. The carb cleaner had contaminated/degraded the rubber needle tips on the float needles and float heights were all over the map along with being sticky when coming off the needle seat. A stupid mess.

While trying to start the bike and figure out why it wouldn’t start, I ran the lithium ion battery down to where it would not crank. Put it on a 2 amp charger for a few hours and monitored it till it showed full charge. Then shut it off immediately. The battery has been fine for the past couple months since that. Point being, you can use a regular charger as long as it doesn’t have a key so feeding mode and shut it off when it shows a full charge. A standard charger won’t take the lithium ion battery up to its full voltage however it’s more than enough to start the bike and once back in the bike the charging system takes it up the rest of the way.

On on an XS 1100 where the bike weighs over 600 pounds saving 9 pounds isn’t going to be much because there’s not much else weight to take off the bike for further reductions. Meaning it’s always going to be a heavy bike.

The ZRX on the other hand has a huge following on the ZRX forum, One fellow specializes in making lighter weight parts, brackets to replace the heavy stock ones, etc. Heck, front brake calipers from a GSXR are a bolt on item to the ZRX and improve braking while dropping 2 pounds by themselves. The ZRX in stock form weighs 540 pounds fully gassed. Mine is now at 500 pounds fully gassed thanks to that battery. 40 pounds is almost 10% weight reduction.
          Last edited by Bonz; 06-24-2018, 09:57 PM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Right on! That's a good ride! Is your new battery still holding up and your FJR comfortable over that kind of distance? That was going to be my new bike but sales, the mechanics, and the HMFIC at the local dealership worked very hard over the years to lose my business when I went shopping.

Bonz, you got that right. Don't forget the clutch basket R&R the first morning to try and fix the clunk during shifting and... and... and.. and a few other projects like a cigarette lighter!

This year: Toothbrush.

I have to thank you for letting us know about the fire warning. No s'mores this year, check, but I did go shopping this afternoon and dove head first into vape world instead of ordering a roof and window kit for the bike so I can have a smoke inside the vehicle.

Vanilla. Very, very, strong but good stuff.

Last pic sure looks like that vape gotcha' wired for 440.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• LOL Brant, good one!
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Bike is about all set. Just about ready to begin the ride west.
                Need to put on the vetter bags next week.

Emerald Isle North Carolina

Vaping here too. 100% humidity - powered by the sun. Can't get any more refreshing than that.

?? What about our evening cooking. With campfire ban can we still avoid the restaurant run and enjoy dinner at the campground as we have done in the past? Cooking on a hot muffler might be ok but its not too practical. The fire restrictions going to mess up our cooking plans?

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Bike lookin' good to go Jeff!...….just needed a WAY earlier start......and may need chained up to get back over those 'hills'.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• El Toro is alive again !

Howdy Y'all,
                    After much agony and frustration I figured out the starting/running problem with El Toro, The blade style fuse holder was defective...So I will be bringing it to the rally for our amusement...After talking with Bonz today we thought some of you "flatlanders" may have a hard time breathing up here....There is a product called "Boost oxygen" It is available at Big 5 sporting goods,Dicks sporting goods and Amazon, I know it helps because I use it sometimes...Also I can bring my propane stoves to cook on or to make Tequila smores..I'm looking forward to seeing you all again and meeting any newbies that show up ...
                    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Hey guys, big thanks to Joe! I just talked with him, he will bring a propane barbecue grill so dinners are going to be a feast! Figure we can pitch in a couple bucks each to refill his propane tank when he gets home from the rally.

I’m leaving early afternoon tomorrow to head out to the rally area. Going to ride a southern route (Down to Saguache, up 114 to just east of Gunnison) and end up in Gunnison with some family friends for the night and then ride north of Buena Vista on Thursday over to Aspen via Independence Pass.

Those will be our main rides Saturday and Sunday. Down to Saguache and back up to Highway 50 E. over Monarch Pass and then finish in Buenavista. Then the Independence Pass, Aspen, Glenwood Canyon, Leadville the other day.
                      Last edited by Bonz; 06-26-2018, 08:33 PM.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Way to go, Joe and Bonz!

I don't have any trouble breathing at all. It does take a day to get used to not being squished by all the air down here in the flatlands while my body does the Michelin Man thing and vents like the campfire beans routine in Blazing Saddles.

Brant, I brushed my hair up like that for the picture -- wow!
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• JeffH, love the humor!

Gonna be a hot day for my riding the next couple days but regardless looking forward to getting out on the road.

Nothing going up and over North Pass tomorrow (over 10,000’) on Hwy 114 from Saguache to Gunnison, then Monarch Pass (over 11,300’) and Independence Pass (over 12,00’) on Thursday won’t cure...
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• O² vs C³ H8

Joe: glad to hear El Toro will make an appearance. way cool
                            Also thanks for bringing the propane stoves. Camp cooking was so much more fun and relaxing than having everyone drive somewhere for dinner. Just don't let anybody get the oxygen boost confused with the propane. We are all already confused enough. As motoman suggested, if I'm going to make it i'd better get peddling real soon.

Bonz, happy travels. If you need a stop in Saguache, the lady at 4th St Dinner & Bakery has good stuff. At the end of 4th At on the right. Get that nice cool down going up 114 after that.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. So far I'm still a GO for launch on Sat 7th.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Better leave Georgia by midnight on the 7th, otherwise you might turn into a pumpkin...
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                                Way to go, Joe and Bonz!

I don't have any trouble breathing at all. It does take a day to get used to not being squished by all the air down here in the flatlands while my body does the Michelin Man thing and vents like the campfire beans routine in Blazing Saddles.

Brant, I brushed my hair up like that for the picture -- wow!
                                Actually, that's the look given when aboard a HD pumped up on steroids.

Comment

Working...
                                X