2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    How would you guys feel about moving the rally out to Gunnison?

If we want to make this change I need to know ASAP! The hotel guys are the only ones that would be affected in terms of having to make new reservations quickly.

I can get all but $10 of the deposit back from the KOA in Buena Vista and apply it toward the KOA in Gunnison.
    Yes, ASAP please. If the move is planned, I need to cancel my trailer spot. There is a strong possibility that I will not be able to make it in any case. I am still on pre evacuation notice and can't leave unless they order an evacuation or lift the notice. There are no containment lines north of the Chateau fire, and we are north. Please do not make any decisions on my account! It is what it is.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• New flux capacitors are all back ordered so there will be NO! messing with motorcycles for me this year. Like Greg said, my XJ has an 85 mph speedometer so I couldn't use the flux capacitor anyway and I'll have to make do with the Harley.

I managed to find a room in Gunnison for the weekend, 13th to 16th. I still have to cancel the Buena Vista KOA booking but I'm holding off on that until everyone decides Gunnison is better than Buena Vista.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• AOK on Gunnison. Will cancel my reservations at both Best Western & KOA in B.V.

Might even switch to camping but I already snagged a Gunni motel just in case.
        btw: I still planning to arrive on Thurs 12th. Anybody else still planning a local ride on Friday?
        Maybe Crested Butte or up to the west approach of Cottonwood Pass to the Road Closed barricades.

Jeff
        Last edited by JeffH; 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM.
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• All right guys, I’m just waiting for the KOA in Gunnison to call me back and tell me the sites blocked together I talked with them about this morning are reserved.

Only person I have not heard from is Jerry Fields, he is camping already, he will appreciate the better locale!

Joe was the first one I called to be sure he was good trailering his bikes, misc coolers, the grill up over Monarch Pass, he’s all in.

Bohn Frazier is good to go, Harry and his FJR buddy, so is JeffH, all have reservations booked. Scott is changing his reservation as well.

Mike, Roo, myself, Joe, Greg, Jerry Fields are the campsite guys.

Skids, hope it can work out as the next week progresses to get back in the fold.

Been a hectic morning working all this out, you guys have been great. I don’t think I have missed any names?

I will post the 100% all clear once I talk to the KOA in Gunnison, but I expect no problems after our conversation this morning.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Jeff, last year I planned to arrive on Thursday but that plan didn't pan out when it got washed in the creek with cool, clean, reality.

It'll depend on the time we leave Grand Junction on Friday and how ate up the traffic is but a late afternoon or evening ride in Gunnison might work.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• OK guys, it’s official! Command central is Gunnison KOA.

I was disappointed with the gal at the KOA in Buena Vista when I canceled the group site. I told her it was because the fire and we just didn’t want to deal with the potential of something else coming up regardless of the current situation, as guys are literally coming from around the country.

She gave me aggravation over canceling because they have turned down group campers for that site. That doesn’t sit well with me, these are extraordinary circumstances and potential circumstances. She said next summer if I reserve a site there won’t be any refund for a cancellation. She should understand not to backtalk customers when they are playing by the rules she set.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

OK guys, it’s official! Command central is Gunnison KOA.
                OK, sounds great. GUNNISON 2018
                I've booked a motel 12th-16th (which I will likely cancel early next week) and booked the torture rack 'A' at KOA 12th-16th. eh, the A at KOA eh?

Furnish it with a few things from Walmart. Order it all tonight and it will be in Gunni to pickup on 12th.

Adjusting my ride plan a bit for the LaVeta Fire in case CO12 and US160 are still closed when I come up from Raton NM.
                4,700 mile trip if all goes well

Look forward to seeing everybody. Skids, I hope you can make it and that the forest fire goes out ahead of the predicted date. You'll need a break after all this tense drama.

Jeff

bonz: i'd cancelled my KOA cabin, maybe Scott had already called too. So triple whammy from our group. She got $10 from each of us vs. the $1,000, ouch
                Just took it out on you I guess. Likely it can be all be booked since its 9 days out. She shouldn't vent on you though
                Last edited by JeffH; 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• I’m sure we are not the only ones that have changed or canceled reservations because of the potential fire issues. She kept saying everything is fine today, and I kept saying that’s great, “but containment of the closest fire is not expected until July 29. Wind changes direction, or another fire starts in that vicinity over the Fourth of July and we are out of a rally”.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    Jeff, last year I planned to arrive on Thursday but that plan didn't pan out when it got washed in the creek with cool, clean, reality.

It'll depend on the time we leave Grand Junction on Friday and how ate up the traffic is but a late afternoon or evening ride in Gunnison might work.
                    Got just a tad over 2hrs. ride from G. Junction to Gunnison......1hr. south to Montrose(top off with fuel if needed) and another hour ride to Gunnison. Of course, You, Mike and Roo have already done that once when I led y'all aboard my Venturer to the Canon City rally.
                    Last edited by motoman; 07-03-2018, 04:23 PM.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Good times with you along, Brant. I savored every fume I sucked from you going up Pikes Peak braaapppping the throttle, with you moto-crossing it standing on the pegs, to keep the Venturer cleaned out at 1 mph in 2014.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Hey fellas, thanks again for ALL you guys coming from far and wide going with the site change, appreciate you!

Can everyone please let me know when they are arriving? Whether doing a hotel or camping. Two reasons, let’s me know who to look for and if I don’t need to reserve 3 campsites for the first night because of numbers, I will change things and reserve two on Thursday.

The Gunnison KOA is going to be ~$19 a night per person camping, as we are on a block of individual campsites vs a group site. That’s an increase of about $6.50 a night per person. For a Friday AM ride, a nice 28 mile ride each way to explore Crested Butte would be a nice start, or decide something else as we please for the guys there.

We have electricity for devices at the pavilion right at our sites for guys not set up to charge stuff on their bikes. Our sites are 90, 91, 92 with wi-fi hotspot mere feet away.

With electricity, this means we can bring an electric fireplace and sing camp songs at night...

Scottie, with the propane grill, we can absolutely roast t’killya ‘mallows.

There is a stocked trout pond on-site, not sure if you need a license or if it is just a fee to pay the KOA, or both. Will confirm in the next day or two. The Gunnison River is right near the KOA, I am checking if it public access or only private access.

KOA is on the west side of Gunnison, Rodeway Inn is just a bit west of the KOA on Hwy 50, Econolodge and Holiday Inn Express are on the east end of town on Hwy 50 near the University (Western State College).

KOA map, sites 90, 91, 92: https://koa.com/content/campgrounds/...1735cb3dbb.pdf

KOA website: https://koa.com/campgrounds/gunnison/activities/
                        Last edited by Bonz; 07-03-2018, 09:45 PM.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Arrival Time

Howard,
                          At this time I’ll be arriving around noon on Friday. If that changes I’ll update. If the fires cause the route from Colorado Springs to Gunnison to be closed I’d appreciate a heads up. Bohn
                          Bohn
                          78 XS750SE Bought New In 78
                          80 XS1100SG "XS Combination"

Comment

• Gunnison move OK with me. Appreciate the call from Bonz and work to make this happen.

Was camping on my lot in Park County. Smoke from the Weston Pass fire clearly visible from my lot; my driveway is in foreground:

Taken Monday, July 2nd.

Don't know if I will get changes made to rally web page so pay attention to this thread for details!
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Good times with you along, Brant. I savored every fume I sucked from you going up Pikes Peak braaapppping the throttle, with you moto-crossing it standing on the pegs, to keep the Venturer cleaned out at 1 mph in 2014.
                              Yup.....hard to forget that ordeal. Turned out after getting back home, the running fuel levels were as suspected, way to low at 7mm down instead of the 3-4mm down. Created enough venturi velocity to get the fuel, but WAY to much at once....as I suspected. That issue corrected and ran like it did when I bought it new!
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                                Gunnison move OK with me. Appreciate the call from Bonz and work to make this happen.

Was camping on my lot in Park County. Smoke from the Weston Pass fire clearly visible from my lot; my driveway is in foreground:

Taken Monday, July 2nd.

Don't know if I will get changes made to rally web page so pay attention to this thread for details!
                                That is nice scenary from you lot Jerry. Love aspen trees.
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X