No announcement yet.

2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you all using to post pics now? Is Photobucket still wanting a fortune?
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• My Photobucket (Free) still works just fine.
      When the Pay Now ad pops up just back out of it. Your account and photos will still be there. A lot of people have had trouble, but mine works just like it always was, and free.

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• There are some recent threads about options to post photos.
        One of those should work if your P B doesn't.

I will post Ride Reports section . All roads to Gunnison for everyone traveling in. Keep the rally the rally. But we are masters at mucking up a thread.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Just reading that US285 is now open.
          Even the LaVeta fire is hopefully less dangerous with some rain and higher humidity.
          Said now has 1,688 firefighter assigned. 110,000 acres burned is a lot.

Come Thurs still may get through on US160. I see CO69 has been closed for 40 miles. Will figure out Thurs AM in Raton what I'll do. Taos nice ride and have a fav for lunch stop if 160 is still closed.

Hope Skids homestead is now out of danger and pre-Evac lifted.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Good to hear Jeff is on the road, and Harry got to Idaho.

A lot of Colorado had good rain a couple days ago, they described the Springs fire around La Veta as “massive smoldering monster” yesterday. Had “only” 400 acres growth yesterday.

The state is going to dry out until scattered thunderstorms start becoming regular on Thursday through next weekend. Usually means mornings and early afternoons are good, 2 PM on opportunity for rain and even hail at higher elevation.

Be sure to have rain gear.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz
              Another ride option with Gunnison being command central... Ride hwy 149 south through Lake City, on to Creede (million $$ homes on one side of the road, other folks homes on the other side of the road, per se) and South Fork to Saguache...
              Another option is to visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park, either as an extension of this ride or as a separate shorter ride. Would increase the mileage and there is an entrance fee (You have your Natl. Parks Pass, right?) but it is an interesting oddity in Colorado.

Trip down 149 is good, have ridden it a couple times in the past, headwaters of the Rio Grande river. If time there is a stop at North Falls and if my memory servers me there is a rest area there. Creede has an interesting history; was one of the wilder mining camps in Colorado and numerous stories of scam artists (Soapy Smith and others) come to mind. Lots of mining activity (old buildings and such) were still present last time I was through, several years ago now.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• That’s a good thought Jerry, we can offer up the choices for Saturday and Sunday rides, it’s nice to have more options for rides than we have days to do them.

For you guys they were getting there Thursday, (about half of us) would you guys be up for a ride Friday before everyone else arrives in the afternoon and evening that covers some distance, or more interested in relaxing and getting your butt back under you?

Nice thing about adding the sand dunes to a loop or make a loop of its own, there is some wide open road at 65 mph+ (read “+”) which will make short time of the distance. Could go east over Monarch Pass, head south down to the sand dunes, back up to Saguache and take Highway 114 back to Gunnison. That could be a nice ride with something added other than only mountain scenery to show off the variety in Colorado!

Jerry, any possible issues with the Lake Christine fire that started on the 4th along the highway between Carbondale and Aspen? Since that’s the only road in and out of Aspen, I would assume it would not close.
                Last edited by Bonz; 07-08-2018, 08:16 AM.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• I'd be interested in a Fri ride. Whatever the group decides is good. If the group rides to Sand Dunes I'd breakoff and go check out the Hindu Temple in Crestone. Or Creede for lunch. Like both 114 and 149. What is it? CRAZY Alice's somewhere there on 149, thought Creede.

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Where the wind blows us...
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Road weary travelers.

Howdy Ya'll, I thought I would let anyone that is traveling through Denver know that they are more than welcome to swing by my house for a pit stop along the way, Hey Jeff, I would be willing to join you on an adventure if you decide to skip by the Sand Dunes (I was there last month) Safe travels to those on their way here and look forward to seeing you all.
                      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                        (snip)

Hope Skids homestead is now out of danger and pre-Evac lifted.

Jeff
                        Thanks for your concerns. We are out of imminent danger. The fire is 95% contained, although crazy wind could change that. We are currently off of pre evacuation status. I am bowing out of this trip. I will miss all of you and hope to make a trip next year. You guys have fun! :-)
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz
                          Jerry, any possible issues with the Lake Christine fire that started on the 4th along the highway between Carbondale and Aspen?
                          No issues that I know of. Have been off this week, will check with our patrol guys tomorrow when I get back in the office and confirm. I had been in central Colorado and not kept up with all the news.

Friday ride OK with me, but then again I don't have far to ride to get to Gunnison.
                          Last edited by Jerry; 07-08-2018, 07:46 PM.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Looks like you have about 150 miles to Gunnison, I have 193. Lightweights we are...
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Only 780 miles for me, Just a day ride.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Arriving Thursday? You gonna make it in one day, or stop partway and cruise it on into Gunny? What way are you coming in?

If you come in from Raton up to Walsenburg, across 160 over LaVeta Pass you can see where the big fire has been as long as it isn’t active again. Once you get down the other side take 17 north to get a bit of the sand dunes and back side of the Sanger De Cristo mountains for scenery, then work your way over to Saguache (gas, then 70 miles to Gunnison) and take 114 up to Gunnison. 17 north and working your way over to Saguache then about the first 30 miles of 114 toward Gunnison are some wide open time making stretches.

Another enjoyable ride, come across on Highway 50 like you did for the Canon City rallies and cruise west past the Royal gorge, along the Arkansas River into Salida (gas, 65 miles to Gunnison) over Monarch Pass and into Gunnison.
                                Last edited by Bonz; 07-08-2018, 09:08 PM.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X