2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
    Great Pics Jeff..Wheres the Like button???
    Thankfully, there isn't one.

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Kinda wish I made the trip.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
      Thankfully, there isn't one.

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Kinda wish I made the trip.
      Would have liked to have seen you make the trek out here AGAIN too Dean!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Would have liked to have seen you make the trek out here AGAIN too Dean!
        Brant, this KOA looked pretty good for RV’s and TT’s.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
          Great ride yesterday. Something like 330 miles.
          Nice loop on CO92, CO133, Aspen, CO82, Independence pass, US24 and return with great late afternoon run on Monarch Pass US50.
          Lunch stop at Los Cazadores in El Jebel.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison (North Rim)

Rest stop at the Top of the World (well almost)

Bonz did a great job herding us cats, organizing the ride and leading us home safely on the ride. Hope to post more later if internet keeps working.

Jeff
          Great group pic of all my buddies! Even Russ made it!! Dang!
          Got the daughter married off... she's now on her honeymoon.
          Hope you all have a great rally and a safe one. Wishin' I was there with you guys! Hope to see you all next year, if not sooner.
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
            Great group pic of all my buddies!
            How about some names to go along with the group picture? I think the only one I've met is Jerry. Also Brant and Jeff who were in a previous shot.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

• Some names for you Dean. Left to right... Mike (soccer4m), John (Bohn Frazer’s friend), Bohn, Howard (Bonz) and Jerry behind Bohn, Sid (Skids), Joe (rdmcguy), Roo in the foreground, Harry (Bigfoot) and his friend Russ on the far right. Scott (3Phase) had gone to check out a local custom bike builder around Aspen that we met at lunch, so he was running behind the group a bit.

JeffH taking the pic.

200 miles on Friday for the Thursday arrivals, 330 miles Saturday, and 275 miles Sunday with most of the return trip from South Fork to Gunnison in chilly temps (48 deg F at higher elevations), rain, and riding through hail slush over Slumgullion Pass at over 11,300’.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by skids View Post
                Brant, this KOA looked pretty good for RV’s and TT’s.
                Thanks Sid...….know Gunny and the area EXTREMELY well. Yep, that KOA always looked to be a decent choice if dragging a camp trailer.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  Some names for you Dean.
                  Thanks Howard
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

• You bet.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• 3Phase (Scott) and I took off Monday AM for Great Sand Dunes Natl. Park then up to Hwy 50 where Scott took off back toward Gunnison (and eventually to Motoman in Grand Junction) and I headed north on Hwy 285 and eventually home. Have not yet downloaded photos; didn't take a lot this trip but will see what is there and post in the next day or two.

Great rally. Good camping spot. Good food, good company, good scenery. Over 1,300 miles added to the odometer and I am only 158 miles from the KOA.

Discussion came up about attending rallies; consensus was that, if you can, attend a rally and meet other members face to face and enjoy the company, stories, and shared experiences that come with attendance. As fewer and fewer 11s actually show up at rallies the friendships and experiences, plus the love of riding, may be what keeps the group going into the future.
                      Last edited by Jerry; 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Still alive by the Grace of God

I made it to Motoman's yesterday at about 7 PM; good ride and thank you again, Jerry, the dunes were awesome even if I only put one toe in the sand just to say I did it.

I had an 'incident' on the way down the back side of the pass when we left Gunnison for the Dunes and I went off the road into the ditch. I managed to keep the bike upright as it fishtailed and tried to dump me and then, suddenly, there was the edge of the road so I aimed for it and popped back up onto the highway. There wasn't a scratch on me or the bike and I had the GoPro recording so it caught the entire debacle -- embarrassing but totally cool video. The guy in the car behind me was almost as shaken up as I was
                        and he picked up my water bottle for me as I was turning around to go get it, it. What. A. Ride.

Today's a slouch-around and petty project day. No one's up yet but we'll do breakfast and then figure out something to do.

Bonz, thank you for setting up the rally! It was good to meet Russ and sit around the cheery propane campfire in the rain under the kitchen roof.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Here are some random pictures taken with my cell phone. (link to one drive)
                          https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtDTp3zsWxaK6A3BB1huXiEVY_E1
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                          03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

I had an 'incident' on the way down the back side of the pass when we left Gunnison for the Dunes and I went off the road into the ditch. I managed to keep the bike upright as it fishtailed and tried to dump me and then, suddenly, there was the edge of the road so I aimed for it and popped back up onto the highway.

Dammit Scott! I am glad you were able to use that big Harley as a dirt bike and are OK! Skill my man, pure skill! :-D
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Glad you are ok, Scott! No, make that REALLY glad you are ok!

Really nice to have you guys show up each year and be part of this stuff.

Was that Cochetopa pass you were coming off of on Highway 114 when you had the incident?

Like Jerry posted, the XS11 isn’t going to get longer or stronger legs as the years go on, less and less are going to want to make long trips on them. However no reason not to ride another bike, it’s about the people and things to see and do that make the experience.

Look forward to next year and I will gladly take suggestions for a locale but right now the Durango area is looming large on the radar!

Guys from all over the forum and the country no matter what bike you would ride, we have the XS11 in common and that’s all that matters. Start thinking about it.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Four Night Stay

Adding the extra fourth night worked out great

Thursday Night with Friday bonus ride
                                Friday Night with Saturday ride
                                Saturday Night with Sunday ride
                                Sunday Night to hang out
                                Monday depart

Oh, btw: to the chefs at the XSive Grill & Lounge
                                THANK YOU
                                that be to Howard & Joe
                                I think the XSive Grill will be up for its Michelin Star

Jeff

very good ride today from Durango to Aztec NM, across the Jacarilla Navajo lands and the Zia and Jemez Pueblo lands. Had to show ID but even across Los Alamos National Laboratory into Los Alamos. In Los Alamos for tonight and expect to find a bang up dinner. Some kind of Fusion place

NM Hwy 4 is interesting.
                                You know when the road is named Arroyo Rd you'd better be on your toes. there were many many. no drain culvert, just flows mud and water and debris across the road.
                                Oh, falling rocks too. Come around a curve and rocks up to 10" in the lane. Bend a wheel on that one and tear up the ATGATT gear too.
                                Rained on the pass and dropped from 82 degrees to 50 degrees.
                                a nice 72 now here in Los Alamos.
                                Last edited by JeffH; 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM.
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X