2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Call me silly or old-fashioned... Put the helmet on first ! Then your glasses...
    Have to agree with ya' on that one Bonz......works every time whether 3/4 or full coverage and saves on tweaked out'a shape glasses!
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Call me silly or old-fashioned... Put the helmet on first ! Then your glasses...
      I have a neck cord so I don't lose my glasses.

To put them on after the helmet I had to take off the neck cord and the little rubber slip-ons that go over the ear cushion; ride; take off the helmet and put the cord back on; take off the cord and put the helmet back on; ride; take off the helmet and put the cord back on; repeat until:

Put the helmet on and forget the neck cord; helmet smooshes the glasses down my face; nose cushion stabs me in the eye and I can't get the glasses off because the neck cord is holding them on so I don't lose them.

Take off the cord and put a patch on my eye; put on the helmet; put on the glasses; ride to the Yamaha shop and pick out a modular helmet.

Simple.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• .......confusing problem solved! IMO, modular helmets of quality manufacturers, from testing seem to be decent quality and good facial protection when latched down.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• BTW Scott, Kilm TK1200 modular looks to be the very popular with the folks on the ST site. Apparently only weighs 3lbs. 10oz. with a multi-position front shield that darkens when down and is also very popular in that respect. Liked better than Shoei modular and lighter.

Just thought I'd throw that out here for an option.......but sure that's kinda like oil,tires,etc.......you get the idea.
          Last edited by motoman; 07-06-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Nice helmet but it hadn't been invented yet when I got the Neotec, even if it had it wouldn't have been at my local dealer's.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Hey Peter Falk, the 70's are calling and want their glasses strap back.

Actually, I totally get your system. I think you wear clip-on sunglasses and you don't swap back and forth between glasses and sunglasses.

I on the other have not embraced glasses strap technology in the new century and swap back and forth between a prescription pair of regular glasses and prescription sunglasses.

You guys ready for a Rally?
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey Peter Falk, the 70's are calling and want their glasses strap back.

Actually, I totally get your system. I think you wear clip-on sunglasses and you don't swap back and forth between glasses and sunglasses.

I on the other have not embraced glasses strap technology in the new century and swap back and forth between a prescription pair of regular glasses and prescription sunglasses.

You guys ready for a Rally?
                I am so ready for the rally.

Yes, I use polarized clip-on sunglasses that fit over the lenses of my prescription glasses.

I have a cheap, floppy plastic pair too that clips to the nose bridge and can flip up. The cheap ones are better for making a bunch of stops around town because I don't have to take them off and stash them in their case when I go indoors, then put them on again when I go outside. They keep flipping up in the wind if I wear them on the highway with one of my 3/4 helmets but them's the breaks, they're not motorcycle shades.
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

• Kinda - Sorta almost ready to depart Sunday. At least I started the bike and rode to the store yesterday. Ran fine. Pumped up the tires to 40psi this afternoon. Getting travel things organized and ready. Hope to strap on the kitchen sink tomorrow morning. Oh, i need gas so maybe get some petrol before I strap on the kitchen sink. Got my coffee pots ready, a variety of coffees and of course Tikka Masala E-Z fix dinners for when i'm lazy.

Its been daily T-Storm's galore here. Boomers clear out Saturday night so should have sunny clear & hot weather going north Sunday then across the "I" states in the middle. I will post a Ride Report of anything noteworthy along the way. Just hope its not bike related noteworthy items. Still planning to 'do the Dixie' up to US136. Interesting origins back to 1914 & 1915. Marty, Brent & I have ridden the south on the Dixie Highway (called Tamiami Trail in southern FLA) many times to Sarasota and across the Everglades to Miami. Following the old western route north out of GA to TN & KY & IN should be a nice ride.

Guess i'm getting psyched. It is a very long ride. After the rally i plan to ride the Beartooth then US2 to UP. 5,500 miles Been a long time since i've biked the Tetons and Yellowstone so if things are going good i'll give it a shot.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next Friday afternoon or evening at the '8' or the Campground.

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffH; 07-07-2017, 05:57 PM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing/visiting you at both locations Jeff! Wife and I will be staying at the '8'.

Comment

• Good news/ bad news.

Good news:
                      Scala Cardo Packtalks got here yesterday and I just opened the box.
                      They're beautiful but I don't have time to play with them.

More good news:
                      I got the pistons and jugs set on Columbo's engine, I'll start on the crank, rods, and gears after dinner because it's become a priority.

Bad news:
                      Baby lost the #2 rod bearing on the way back from O'Reilly Auto this afternoon.
                      I have new bearings and another crankshaft but the engine's going to have to come out and there's almost no time left for a quick case split and reinstall.

I need help... actually: "Just one thing and I'll be OK, I need a miracle every day!" .mp3

Yes, I was there, talked with the taper that made this recording on Friday evening, we're all dancing and singing along trying not to trip on the mics
                      or swamp the other tapers FOB Dead Center.

Almost done with dinner and time to get back to Columbo's engine.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

• Oh Baby ...........
                        sure wasn't expecting that twist. But better coming home from O'Reilly's vs in Beaver UT. Pressure ya don't need.

Just bring those Cardos and I'll help you set em' up. Pretty simple to install on helmet and sync up with APP.

Good luck with Columbo work tonight.

Jeff
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Well, that's a bummer Scott.......but I did follow your suggestion just for 'grins n' giggles. That 107 IS pretty awesome! They had approx. 40+ of that new one on showroom floor here. Besides all the other 'bells n' whistles' its even stock with the navigation with full screen. Maybe at this point, for durability, water cooled and all the other farkles that come stock, may be a good direction to go for LD trouble-free riding.......JAT.

Comment

• Thanks, Jeff!

Yeah, it went wrong as I pulled out on the main drag and romped on it to get up to speed. It would have really sucked (briefly) pulling that on a freeway merge in traffic.

Edit: Brant, that'd be the last resort but it's one of a few options.
                            Last edited by 3Phase; 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Thanks, Jeff!

Yeah, it went wrong as I pulled out on the main drag and romped on it to get up to speed. It would have really sucked (briefly) pulling that on a freeway merge in traffic.

Edit: Brant, that'd be the last resort but it's one of a few options.
                              Scott, what are the symtoms when that happens?
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Originally posted by skids View Post
                                Scott, what are the symtoms when that happens?
                                +1 I can only imagine the heart sinking sound ? ? ?
                                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                                80 XS650 G Special II
                                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                                80 XS 1100 SG
                                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                                X