No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead at Rally week-end, daytime temps. expected to be in mid 80's daytime. Today in Kremmling, new record for this time of year hit 91degrees. I would expct nite-time temps. to be high 50's-low 60's. Just an FYI of what to expect in that area. Of course, higher up and to over 10,000ft. elev. will make for some great ridin' weather for you all! Kremmling elev. is 7300ft. elev. Looking forward to seeing all ya' on two wheels!

BTW, digital outdoor relay monitor in the shade had it at 104.5degrees here at my place today approx. 4:30pm!
    Last edited by motoman; 07-05-2017, 09:32 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Howard, My brother in law (Rich) will be coming as well and camping with us.
      Thanks Harry! If that's the only thing I forget to note in a post as this rally comes to reality, we will all be doing good! My apologies. I have him down for an XL short sleeve T-shirt as well.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Yep, thanks Howard. Just over a week to go.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Looking ahead at Rally week-end, daytime temps. expected to be in mid 80's daytime. Today in Kremmling, new record for this time of year hit 91degrees. I would expct nite-time temps. to be high 50's-low 60's. Just an FYI of what to expect in that area. Of course, higher up and to over 10,000ft. elev. will make for some great ridin' weather for you all! Kremmling elev. is 7300ft. elev. Looking forward to seeing all ya' on two wheels!

BTW, digital outdoor relay monitor in the shade had it at 104.5degrees here at my place today approx. 4:30pm!
          Pretty much right on the money, Brant!

Also at the campground there are no fire restrictions yet. Even if they go to stage one restrictions, campfires in established areas are going to be permitted.

It was really warm today, no mercy! Showed 94° on the thermometer in the backyard in the shade in early afternoon, at 7200'! Give or take a few degrees, that's flippin' hot.

Yesterday, I installed a set of Kawasaki ZX9 gauges on the ZRX. The ZX9 gauges add a temperature gauge which is the main reason I did it instead of the stock idiot light.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Howard,
            I just use the "marshmallow" earbuds from WalMart. $20.
            I've tried many, even some Klipsch that cost $80...
            For me, the $20 ones are the superior ones. Fit well, feel good all day, great volume and bass response. Cancels out enough of the noise, but you can still hear what's going on around you. You might pick up a pair of those...?

Greg,
            I was using the G9's back when I tried pairing with your helmet.
            They never claimed much success with those.

I now have the Packtalk. It and Sena's are using 4.1 version of bluetooth, and claim to pair. Good chance it will pair, if yours allows it.

I think the G9 was using version 2.3. It was a quantum leap over the Q3 and G4, but still had it's problems and turned out to only be a ladder rung compared to the capabilities of these. Smartphones, gps's... all the new ones are now getting with the bluetooth program better.

Scott,
            Yes, fitting the helmet better, without having to use an allen wrench, is so much easier and now the helmet doesn't sit cock-eyed on a table when you take it off!
            That's pretty funny and true about having an extra 20 minutes since ya don't have to fight 'em to pair anymore! That sure got old hasseling with them!
            Mine would pair finally, last about an hour, then disconnect. I'd have to turn it off, back on, reboot, then attempt to reconnect, while riding. Sucked! I finally found a good deal on a new single unit Packtalk and said to heck with the G9.
            Battery died in my other G9.

I like the thumbwheel, too. That app for your phone is handy, too.
            If you guys had 4 Packtalk units, evenly spread out in the group, you're supposed to be able to bounce the signal up to 3 miles apart! Probably like Harry said though, line of site. If paired with another brand or Scala model, you have to place it in another mode, (old style of transmission) and you're limited to 1 mile range.

Let me know how they work out for you guys when ya get back, ok?
            Ride safe guys. Catch ya on the next one.
            Bob
            Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Thanks Bob, will check those out. Hoping things are going well in your neck of the woods!
              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• I tried using the in helmet speakers that came with my Sena, they work well enough, plenty loud as well, but my modular helmet is not real quiet so I was getting alot of wind noise as well. In a quieter helmet they may work just fine.
                Went back to the earbuds. I use a brand called Skull Candy. Fit my ear very well, are small enough to wear under the helmet with no discomfort, and work well to cut the wind noise if I'm listening to music or not. With these, I can rock some tunes without having to have them cranked all the way up.
                Harry

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Thanks Harry and Bob, I'm going to take a trip over to Walmart and see what they have.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• So this conversation about earplugs and wind noise got me thinking. So much that today i scored a good deal on a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. I will try it out tomorrow, but it should be a good upgrade.
                    Harry

'79 Standard
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Has it got Bluetooth?
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Nope, but I have that Sena 20S to handle that.
                        Harry

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

So this conversation about earplugs and wind noise got me thinking. So much that today i scored a good deal on a Shoei Neotec modular helmet. I will try it out tomorrow, but it should be a good upgrade.
                          It's a good helmet, I bought one last year when I bent my glasses and stabbed myself in the eye while trying to put on my old helmet.

The vents can be fiddley and the visor is easy to fog because I don't have the pinlock insert. I leave the visor cracked until I'm on the road, no more stop and go, and it stops doing that.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Nope, but I have that Sena 20S to handle that.
                            You're not going to get like Bob and start bitching about all the expensive electronics that don't work like they should are you?
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ba80 View Post
                              you're not going to get like bob and start bitching about all the expensive electronics that don't work like they should are you?
                              yes!!

:d
                              Harry

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                                It's a good helmet, I bought one last year when I bent my glasses and stabbed myself in the eye while trying to put on my old helmet.

The vents can be fiddley and the visor is easy to fog because I don't have the pinlock insert. I leave the visor cracked until I'm on the road, no more stop and go, and it stops doing that.

Call me silly or old-fashioned... Put the helmet on first ! Then your glasses...
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X