No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's unit from last year mounted in the gap around the bottom of the helmet (Shoei Qwest). I used earbuds he had, and it had a microphone on a boom that I could move around.

I'll pick up a set of earbuds and find some that do a good job to fill the ear canal so they work as earplugs to.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• I can also bring an "extra" unit. My wife never liked it, so It just sits around anyway. It's small, so I'll pack it and you can decide. It has the speakers and boom mike with it.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• YEEHAW

> got the ape hangers on
        > suited up with the new riding gear
        > took a test ride to see if riding gear was good and bike would run
        (spotter said it wasn't smoking too bad)

Planning on head west on Sunday. Just need to strap on the coffee pot and GO ...... YEEHAW (just not sure how to handle the hail)

ride plan update: I will not be starting the trip as planned getting on the eastern terminus of US36 in Ulrichsville, OH. Just cancelled those reservations. Now its Plan B. Still leave Sunday but from Atlanta and ride north on the Dixie Highway (US41) and ride as much of the original 1915 Old Dixie Highway route as practical. Sunday night in Hopkinsville KY then Monday north on US41 to Veedersburg IN or maybe take IL 1 (which is the western route of old Dixie Highway). Then WEST on US136. Plan to bump-bump across Iowa on IA2 which isn't the best pavement but is a nice ride. Then into Nebraska and end up in Fort Collins Thursday afternoon Jul 13th. Still plan to ride Cache la Poudre CO14 (Colo only federal designated Wild & Scenic River), lunch River Rock at Antlers Inn Walden, 3pm Kremmling.

Bob, sorry to hear you can't make it this year and i hope things are going ok.

Guess that's about it for now. Not riding an xs11 this time
        Looking forward to the journey west and our time together in Kremmling.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Right on, have fun, Jeff, and get some pictures while you go!
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Awesome, Jeff! From Walden to the junction at Hwy 40, the first 20-ish miles is wide open, then the last 10-ish miles is a bit more entertaining. Once you are on 40 heading south, it's a great riding road to Kremmling. Lots of nice faster curves and a ton of fun, IMO.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Have a SAFE and enjoyable ride Jeff! As I'm sure you already know, when you hit Colo. you'll see many more like that pic. that are a bit short on brain-cells.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Have a SAFE and enjoyable ride Jeff! As I'm sure you already know, when you hit Colo. you'll see many more like that pic. that are a bit short on brain-cells.
                Indeed . . . . . . . . . . thanks!

we make an effort to be ATGATT but for many folks they ride NGAAE (no gear at all, ever). Just end up hamburger along with the broken bones. What gets me is the ladies on the back with the shorts & flip-flops and sun top. Guess they haven't ever thought about the probability of a wreck and what might happen.

I'll be sporting my Bohn Armor again this year along with the usual boots and protection & trusty Shoei helmet. Did want 'fresh' grip & traction on my boots for ground handling that Wing so just bought some new waterproof Georgia Boots. Sticky tires and sticky boots. + + +

btw: im also running a PackTalk so if Scott & I get out a few miles ahead of the group again we can still talk with the leader. to take advantage of that Dynamic Group Networking and range.

Awful hot & humid in the A T L so I'm looking forward to some 'dry heat'. Hopefully no AM frost at the rally.

I may post a Ride Report again, like last years. But since not on an XS11 likely nobody cares. But if i see something interesting or unique I may start a trip thread. Maybe something exciting like cows on road in Iowa. Those jumbo squirrels you have in Colorado, well i want to stay away from them. What ya call them? Elk & Moose ........ Though biggest scare ever was rounding a curve in Arizona and having a dozen scary looking Javelina standing on the shoulder nibbling rocks or something. ugly buggers

Doing chores so I can leave on Sunday AM

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                  Indeed . . . . . . . . . .
                  we make an effort to be ATGATT but for many folks they ride NGAAE (no gear at all, ever). Just end up hamburger along with the broken bones.
                  You mean like THIS guy .......

https://youtu.be/uNwQK_HIHRU
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                    Indeed . . . . . . . . . . thanks!

we make an effort to be ATGATT but for many folks they ride NGAAE (no gear at all, ever). Just end up hamburger along with the broken bones. What gets me is the ladies on the back with the shorts & flip-flops and sun top. Guess they haven't ever thought about the probability of a wreck and what might happen.

I'll be sporting my Bohn Armor again this year along with the usual boots and protection & trusty Shoei helmet. Did want 'fresh' grip & traction on my boots for ground handling that Wing so just bought some new waterproof Georgia Boots. Sticky tires and sticky boots. + + +

btw: im also running a PackTalk so if Scott & I get out a few miles ahead of the group again we can still talk with the leader. to take advantage of that Dynamic Group Networking and range.

Awful hot & humid in the A T L so I'm looking forward to some 'dry heat'. Hopefully no AM frost at the rally.

I may post a Ride Report again, like last years. But since not on an XS11 likely nobody cares. But if i see something interesting or unique I may start a trip thread. Maybe something exciting like cows on road in Iowa. Those jumbo squirrels you have in Colorado, well i want to stay away from them. What ya call them? Elk & Moose ........ Though biggest scare ever was rounding a curve in Arizona and having a dozen scary looking Javelina standing on the shoulder nibbling rocks or something. ugly buggers

Doing chores so I can leave on Sunday AM

Jeff

NGAAE, nice one! Lots of them around here.

Jeff, last summer you checked in every time you scooted out and told me where you were going to be/meet/wait for the group. Communication like that is the key, no matter how it takes place! Scott, same thing the few times you wanted to keep moving.

Selfishly I would love a ride report. Make a parallel comparison as you cross the different time zones coming west to what you experienced last year, gas mileage reports, hitchhikers you pick up, etc. Oh wait that's Scott...

This afternoon a forest fire erupted just west of Breckenridge. That area is completely beetle kill pine. They have the whole town on pre-evacuation alert. IMO, this one has no leash to go very far before it causes major damage.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Guys staying at campground

Talked with Sara today the owner/manager of the campground, just a few notes.

-Made arrangements for each guy staying at the campground to take care of their balance individually when they arrive. Everyone who paid me a $20 deposit will owe a $16 total remaining balance. If you haven't done the deposit, pay the $20 to me and the remaining $16 to the campground. Hope that makes it simple enough for the $$ to get where it needs to.

-We can move some tents over to another nice grassy area to cut down on congestion at the main group site.

For tenters, I have this list of 10 guys: Bigfoot, BA80, 3Phase, soccer4m, Roo, Ty, CaptonZap, Sebastian_99 and his brother ("Vmax" ), Bonz.

Anyone I missed?

FYI: For all attendees, I will be backpacking in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains starting early this coming Sunday morning and returning Wednesday night. I won't have any coverage until I am back in range sometime on Wednesday. PLEASE think of any questions or last-minute additions before then if you want a response before you have to get on the road.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post

-Made arrangements for each guy staying at the campground to take care of their balance individually when they arrive. Everyone who paid me a $20 deposit will owe a $16 total remaining balance. If you haven't done the deposit, pay the $20 to me and the remaining $16 to the campground. Hope that makes it simple enough for the $$ to get where it needs to.

-We can move some tents over to another nice grassy area to cut down on congestion at the main group site.

For tenters, I have this list of 10 guys: Bigfoot, BA80, 3Phase, soccer4m, Roo, Ty, CaptonZap, Sebastian_99 and his brother ("Vmax" ), Bonz.

Anyone I missed?

FYI: For all attendees, I will be backpacking in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains starting early this coming Sunday morning and returning Wednesday night. I won't have any coverage until I am back in range sometime on Wednesday. PLEASE think of any questions or last-minute additions before then if you want a response before you have to get on the road.
                        Ohhhhhhh........the rent went up since there are more? That seems a bit backwards. Harry, Rich (his BIL) and I will be staying in one big tent. The Harrymahal. Is that going to cost us another $48?
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          You mean like THIS guy .......

https://youtu.be/uNwQK_HIHRU
                          Ouch. OuchouchouchouchouchOUCH! I liked the graceful foot-down circling swoop, staying in his own lane and on top of it but laying it down and using the freeway for a chinrest has gotta hurt.

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                          ... I may post a Ride Report again, like last years. But since not on an XS11 likely nobody cares.
                          Jeff, I liked the ride reports, I don't care what you're riding this year!

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                          ... This afternoon a forest fire erupted just west of Breckenridge. That area is completely beetle kill pine. They have the whole town on pre-evacuation alert. IMO, this one has no leash to go very far before it causes major damage.
                          I hope the folks listen and get out. If that area is all dead wood it can go fast, faster than you can run or even drive if you get in the wrong area at the wrong time.

Oh, and what did you do to your bike today?
                          -- Scott
                          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                          1979 XS1100F: parts
                          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Ohhhhhhh........the rent went up since there are more? That seems a bit backwards. Harry, Rich (his BIL) and I will be staying in one big tent. The Harrymahal. Is that going to cost us another $48?
                            Tent: I would love to have a video of you guys bailing out of Brents tent @ I-H. I'm not sure if Brent was holding a Fire Drill or not, but who was it? you, Tod, Harry, John, Brent and who knows else that was in there. If not a Fire Drill maybe it had something to do with wind or breaking wind, i don't know. Sure was funny seeing everybody streaming out of his tent. funny

Whoa, that Sacramento biker. My old stomping grounds. Guess he didn't have a balanced load or something. Weight distribution likely way off. Likely not a matched set of tires either. That rear wheel sure wanted to be first taking the lead there on I-80. I've never seen anything go down and spin around 360 and stay in the lane like that. Face and palm of the bare hands sure make lousy brakes at freeway speed. But he did out brake the bike. Another NGAAE rider goes down. With Cycle Gear and all the great online ATGATT vendors some people still don't get it.

Yes, saw that Breck fire on the news. Fire was really burning hot with lots of flames. Looks like it could be a real disaster in the making if it isn't able to be controlled quickly.

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• He had to have some pretty lousy tires for them to let him do that 360.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post

Anyone I missed?

Howard, My brother in law (Rich) will be coming as well and camping with us.
                                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                                '82 XJ1100
                                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                                X