No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, you are right. The ST 1300 doesn't have the straight-line ability as much as the FJR 1300 or C14. I owned a 2004 ST1300 for a year and the 1,261cc V4 was the best engine platform I have ever ridden. If I recall redline was 8,500 RPM, like the XS1100 but with a ton of torque down low and good horsepower up top for that relatively low redline. Correct me on that Skids if I'm wrong.

I'll share one of my beers with you...
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Wildfire near Hayden

You might want to keep an eye on this.

http://kdvr.com/2017/07/01/new-wildf...ado-mountains/
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        Yeah, you are right. The ST 1300 doesn't have the straight-line ability as much as the FJR 1300 or C14. I owned a 2004 ST1300 for a year and the 1,261cc V4 was the best engine platform I have ever ridden. If I recall redline was 8,500 RPM, like the XS1100 but with a ton of torque down low and good horsepower up top for that relatively low redline. Correct me on that Skids if I'm wrong.

I am not too proud too accept a beer! The 2003 ST1300 has a pretty flat torque vs rpm curve rather than the "peaky" torque curve that you want for racing. I don't even know what it redlines at!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

• Grand Junction Stop

Motoman and I are excited to see everyone. I know Mike, Scott, and Roo will be at our house on Thursday evening. Still working on a dinner menu. Any preferences? Southern, mexican, italian? If anyone else is staying with us, please let Motoman know. I want to have plenty of food. Here's to an amazing and safe rally.
          Motoman's Better Half ! & Southwest Rally Den Mother

Comment

What year is his Vmax? How well does he maintain it, Sebastian? Meaning, is it running well engine-wise?
            Bonz, it's a 2007. He does a very good maintaining it, should be fun to watch
            79 SF

Comment

• Motowoman!

I'll have a side order of food, medium rare with all the trimmin's and I don't care which side.
              Seriously though, I don't care what you want to do, surprise me, or maybe we can all go out to dinner and make someone else do the work!

I liked that restaraunt in the next town down the hill and we got a little work done on the bikes too:

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yeah, you are right. The ST 1300 doesn't have the straight-line ability as much as the FJR 1300 or C14. I owned a 2004 ST1300 for a year and the 1,261cc V4 was the best engine platform I have ever ridden. If I recall redline was 8,500 RPM, like the XS1100 but with a ton of torque down low and good horsepower up top for that relatively low redline. Correct me on that Skids if I'm wrong.

Ignition cut-out set at redline(8,000rpm) on the ST1100 AND ST1300. No chance of over-revving motor on either one....just an FYI.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  Motowoman!

I'll have a side order of food, medium rare with all the trimmin's and I don't care which side.
                  Seriously though, I don't care what you want to do, surprise me, or maybe we can all go out to dinner and make someone else do the work!

I liked that restaraunt in the next town down the hill and we got a little work done on the bikes too:

That particular restaurant was here in G. Junction, on Horizon Dr......Tepanyaki....Japanese steak house.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Motowoman needs a break

After putting up with us the previous trip, us " Stopovers" need to treat both Motowoman and Motoman to a nice easy local restaurant evening dinner and breakfast on our Mastercards. My 2 cents are food on us for the evening and morning till we all take off for the rally meet...............Motowoman rocks......see ya, Mike in S.DIego
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

• Originally posted by skids View Post
                      You might want to keep an eye on this.

http://kdvr.com/2017/07/01/new-wildf...ado-mountains/
                      Thanks Sid, those fires can get big in a hurry. They've been under a firewatch up there for at least a few weeks now. There is so much beetle kill pine up there. North and a bit east of Steamboat Springs is where I elk hunt every year, this will be my 21st consecutive year hunting the same area. The forest has gone from nothing but green pines to a dull rust red as far as the eye can see. It's dangerous to walk the thick timber because the dead trees blow over in a stiff wind and will kill you. I have been sitting on the edge of my favorite meadow and a strong wind has come up in the past few years and I've watched 70 foot trees fall like dominoes. Sounds like Thor himself breaking wind, meaning it is thunderous. It's an awesome site but scary as crap knowing the wind can pick up in a hurry at anytime.

Loggers are being contracted to cut it down to help with fire prevention, and making decent money on the wood because it has a unique bluish color that is sought by builders. In any case, in that stuff a fire starts and it goes like crazy. The guys at last year's rally got to see the Hayden Pass fire down near Salida.

Nice thing is if we have to avoid that area and going over to Hayden is not possible, we can head north on 40, east to Walden and down south to Granby and back to Kremmling for another nice loop. That would be the preferred loop to win our beer on. There are miles of wide-open High Plains with mountain views all around in the distance with stretches as straight as an arrow for as far as you can see.

Sid/Brant, I checked and redline is 8500 rpm on the ST1300 anyway.

Sebastian, 2007 was the last year of production for the Gen I Vmax, he has a nice one there! My wife's uncle has a 2009 Gen II Vmax. I have ridden that and there is no other land bound conveyance in this great world that has ever hurled me forward faster.
                      Last edited by Bonz; 07-02-2017, 06:13 PM.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Ignition cut-out set at redline(8,000rpm) on the ST1100 AND ST1300. No chance of over-revving motor on either one....just an FYI.
                        Lets just say a story goes with that. Riding both bikes at different times, thinking the STeed had fuel filter issues until glancing at tach...oops...still had one more gear left, which QUICKLY topped it out at....lets just say 'its factory rated top speed'. Difference was XS1100 topped out in fifth where ST1100 topped out in fourth. And yes, the XS1100 will smoke the ST1100(ST gets really small in mirror)..... till the XS redlines in third....BTDT.
                        Last edited by motoman; 07-02-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motowoman View Post
                          Motoman and I are excited to see everyone. I know Mike, Scott, and Roo will be at our house on Thursday evening. Still working on a dinner menu. Any preferences? Southern, mexican, italian? If anyone else is staying with us, please let Motoman know. I want to have plenty of food. Here's to an amazing and safe rally.
                          Wish I could Anita, but there's that whole crossing the middle of the country thing to deal with.
                          Hope everyone has a great time.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

• Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                            Wish I could Anita, but there's that whole crossing the middle of the country thing to deal with.
                            Hope everyone has a great time.
                            We're workin' on it......... and yes, that'd be a good haul for you again!....good to hear from you Dean!

Comment

• Snacks

If I am not cooking for our overnite guests, l would love to bring some homemade snacks for everyone. Mike, you are so kind. Getting excited! Ella the poodle will be joining us.
                              Motoman's Better Half ! & Southwest Rally Den Mother

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                                That particular restaurant was here in G. Junction, on Horizon Dr......Tepanyaki....Japanese steak house.
                                You're in Clifton, Brant, where else would the next town down the hill be but Grand Junction?

Originally posted by soccer4m View Post
                                After putting up with us the previous trip, us " Stopovers" need to treat both Motowoman and Motoman to a nice easy local restaurant evening dinner and breakfast on our Mastercards. My 2 cents are food on us for the evening and morning till we all take off for the rally meet...............Motowoman rocks......see ya, Mike in S.DIego
                                Now you're coookin' with gas, Mike, that's why I put up the restaraunt picture. We can split the tabs or whatever but lets make sure Moto-no-one is paying or cooking dinner.
                                There's a great little breakfast place down the road in Grand Junction for Friday morning too, we'll have to find someplace for lunch on the way to the campground.

Originally posted by Motowoman View Post
                                If I am not cooking for our overnite guests, l would love to bring some homemade snacks for everyone. Mike, you are so kind. Getting excited! Ella the poodle will be joining us.
                                Snacks would be fantastic, Ella's going to freak out!

-- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X