2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Thanks for the text Sebastian, did the career switch come up suddenly? You didn't mention anything when I was up there recently. Hope it is going well!

With that late evening start, be real careful of four-legged critters, especially when/if you pick up the pace. Also, from Silverthorne to Kremmling the sheriff patrol's/state patrols are going to be out on a Friday night most likely.

As for food, sure bring a stove and mess kit to cook if you want for breakfast or dinner. In the past two rallies, we've done breakfast at a local place and guys that don't, meet there at an appointed time for kick stands up. We are typically back in easy time for dinner and do a local place to eat for those that want to. There are picnic tables under a shelter at the campsite so it would be easy to cook up some camp grub on a stove like you mentioned for breakfast or dinner.

Lunches will be on the road at whatever fine local establishment we can come up with, or pack a lunch.

I will bring Harry's coffee pot and a camp stove so we can do coffee at the campground in the morning. Guys from the hotel and motel are welcome to come join us for that as well.

Motoman is bringing the "Official XS11.com Rally Cooler", it will be there for the stocking! A number of places close to the campground to pick up beverage if you don't want to haul it on the bike.

The plan on Saturday evening is to get back from the ride (Hayden loop, unless there is a compelling weather adavantage to doing Trail Ridge road on Saturday vs. Sunday) chill out for a bit, eat an early-ish dinner, and then for those that want do a 70 mile out and back along Highway 134 to see what kind of wildlife we can see. I took evening pictures of elk and moose on my ride up there in early June.

Then Sunday is Trail Ridge Road, through Rocky Mountain Natinal Park and over to Estes Park for lunch, then ride the beautiful route backwards to Kremmling (Scott, I am going to head off your comment right now. No, we are not riding backwards looking over the shoulder).

There is a $20 per bike entry fee to the Nat'l Park for the trail Ridge Road ride. Just so it doesn't catch you offguard and as a reminder to everyone else too.
    Been throwing the switch around my head for a while. It took two months of not getting a paycheck when I should have been to finally kick me into action. Still doing professional sales, just for a different company now.

I may pack a few small cookable things but if its restaurants that works for me as well. Morning coffee is an absolute must though! Ha.

I may end up having to head back Sunday night, I'll play it by ear.
    79 SF

Comment

• Less than two weeks to go. Can't hardly wait.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Sebastian 99, riding fast to get there is NOT a good idea, specially that late! To many 'forest rats' crossing the road that time of evening. Besides, 2hrs. is what you got from Silverthorne to Kremmling. Even with a bit of a shortcut Co.40 to Winter Park then Fraser to Granby to Kremmling is windy 2-lane and full of 'forest rats'. Still lookin' at 2hrs. riding once you jump north up hiway 40. All this Colo. native can say is ride at a SAFE speed!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• From his place (Florissant) it's 121 miles total. Silverthorne to Kremmling is only 37 miles. Even if his brother's Vmax had to tow him, it won't take more than an hour from Silverthorne.

He'll go west on Highway 24 and at Hartsell take Highway 9 up to Fairplay then over to Breckenridge to Silverthorne and then Kremmling.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Sebastian 99, riding fast to get there is NOT a good idea, specially that late! To many 'forest rats' crossing the road that time of evening. Besides, 2hrs. is what you got from Silverthorne to Kremmling. Even with a bit of a shortcut Co.40 to Winter Park then Fraser to Granby to Kremmling is windy 2-lane and full of 'forest rats'. Still lookin' at 2hrs. riding once you jump north up hiway 40. All this Colo. native can say is ride at a SAFE speed!
            Motoman, I'm also a Colorado native...very familiar with the critters that end up in the road. Don't worry, we'll be safe! See ya there
            79 SF

Comment

• Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
              My brother is rolling along with me for the rally. Bring his VMAX (and of course he's talking a lot of trash about racing is XS guys). We are going to share a tent.
              I am afraid the beloved XS11 will not run in a straight line with a properly tuned Vmax. Ain't nobody gonna take that bet. . It's fun let the horses run when appropriate, haven't we all. The main goal is to have fun and comraderie, BS and tell war stories, and get home safe and sound each day.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• OK, I'm the outsider on this one, but I'm not afraid of no stinkin' VMax! I'll be on my 2011 Concours 1400, so I have the 6 speed and ponies to keep up with a VMax. But then, I DO prefer to just take it easy and look at all the forest rats, Moose, and 3phase deer....
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Nothing would make me happier than to see some one dust him! Kid needs to learn a bit of humility. He used to own an XS and his was an absolute dog so his idea on their get up and go is a bit skewed. I got a 12 pack for the guy who beats him (XS or not)
                  79 SF

Comment

• Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                    Nothing would make me happier than to see some one dust him! Kid needs to learn a bit of humility. He used to own an XS and his was an absolute dog so his idea on their get up and go is a bit skewed. I got a 12 pack for the guy who beats him (XS or not)
                    Beer???
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Ray,
                      Has your bike had the "Steve's flash" treatment yet?
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• What year is his Vmax? How well does he maintain it, Sebastian? Meaning, is it running well engine-wise?
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• No, I've not had the money for the flash as of yet, so I still have a bit of stumbling and "digital" throttle response. But, I did just have a MAJOR service done at a local shop I trust, and the tech who worked on it does all the police bikes, so he knows them well. The big thing is just have two corners, and the VMax is toast. On a strait launch, it's the rider. I'm 62, been riding for 50 years, and have over 400K street miles under my belt.
                          I've only had this bike since December 31, but I've put 9K miles on it already, so it IS familiar.
                          Oh, and I like dark beer
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• I want part of the take, I believe the ZRX 1200 is up to the challenge... I am sure Harry on his FJR1300 would like to drink one with us and maybe Skids on his ST1300 would be thirsty too. :-)
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• By time you get there Friday, you all gonna be thirsty for a beverage of some some sort. Will have an empty cooler to see what we can do to get that filled once there Friday afternoon.
                              Last edited by motoman; 07-02-2017, 11:56 AM.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                                I want part of the take, I believe the ZRX 1200 is up to the challenge... I am sure Harry on his FJR1300 would like to drink one with us and maybe Skids on his ST1300 would be thirsty too. :-)
                                Hah! The st1300 is no race bike.
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X