2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
    Lets just say a story goes with that. Riding both bikes at different times, thinking the STeed had fuel filter issues until glancing at tach...oops...still had one more gear left, which QUICKLY topped it out at....lets just say 'its factory rated top speed'. Difference was XS1100 topped out in fifth where ST1100 topped out in fourth. And yes, the XS1100 will smoke the ST1100(ST gets really small in mirror)..... till the XS redlines in third....BTDT.

When I got my ST 1300 a number of years ago I chose it over the ST 1100 because the ST 1100 doesn't make any more power at the rear wheel than an XS1100. Maybe a bit more torque and the ST1100 weighs 740 pounds wet, however I hear the ST 1100 handles very well.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Skids, you and Bonz reminded me that I took a short video of the 2016 Hayden fire in Colorado as our jet was coming in to land at the Denver airport.

I never really watched it except on the camera screen the day I made it.
      It was a brand new camera and I was playing with the video settings.

2016 July Hayden, Colorado Fire | 1:52 HD
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Scott, 'down' here, means south on hiway 50, Delta. Clifton is just a suburb of G. Junction......same, same to us here, but that's okay, you'll catch on making enough trips here.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Scott, 'down' here, means south on hiway 50, Delta. Clifton is just a suburb of G. Junction......same, same to us here, but that's okay, you'll catch on making enough trips here. Jeff H. has been the only one I have come across from WAY out of this area who knows his way around here VERY well........and bout' everywhere else too.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• "Down" is back along the freeway that we came "up" from Green River and through Grand Junction to get to Clifton but as long as y'all know where we're going it'll work and we'll buy when you find it, how's that?

Yes, Jeff knows his way around Colorado. He even joked about it at the Canon City rally last year when we were riding up to the madman's castle. Joe's bike shorted out and Bonz said he wasn't worried about Jeff and to follow him, he knew where we were going. Jeff was, like, "Sure! Follow the guy from 'Carolina, he knows where he's going!"
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              When I got my ST 1300 a number of years ago I chose it over the ST 1100 because the ST 1100 doesn't make any more power at the rear wheel than an XS1100. Maybe a bit more torque and the ST1100 weighs 740 pounds wet, however I hear the ST 1100 handles very well.
              Does handle exceptionaly well 'pushing' it hard in corners, and on long straights, faster it goes, the more you can feel it actually pull down to the road.

Also, Honda manufacturing chose to rate the ST1100 h.p. at the wheel not crankshaft, which was and is 100h.p. A couple three folks on the ST site had their bikes dyno tested at sea-level just for grins. Checked out to be true.

All cases empty and a half tank of fuel(3.7gal.), my ST11 was 730lbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                "Down" is back along the freeway that we came "up" from Green River and through Grand Junction to get to Clifton but as long as y'all know where we're going it'll work and we'll buy when you find it, how's that?

Yes, Jeff knows his way around Colorado. He even joked about it at the Canon City rally last year when we were riding up to the madman's castle. Joe's bike shorted out and Bonz said he wasn't worried about Jeff and to follow him, he knew where we were going. Jeff was, like, "Sure! Follow the guy from 'Carolina, he knows where he's going!"
                That works!

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Does handle exceptionaly well 'pushing' it hard in corners, and on long straights, faster it goes, the more you can feel it actually pull down to the road.

Also, Honda manufacturing chose to rate the ST1100 h.p. at the wheel not crankshaft, which was and is 100h.p. A couple three folks on the ST site had their bikes dyno tested at sea-level just for grins. Checked out to be true.

All cases empty and a half tank of fuel(3.7gal.), my ST11 was 730lbs.
                  Thanks for the good info on the Honda rated horsepower!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Sena Communicator

Anyone else have the Sena communicator. I have the 20S and have been impressed with it. Went on a weekend trip down to Arkansas with a buddy that also had one. It was very nice being able to chat and BS while riding along, even better that he was able to warn of obstacles and hazards and cops around corners.
                    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• I have the S10, and use it for music on my commute. I have used it with ekim on a ride, and it does work well between bikes. I'll have it for this trip, so you can listen to my music, or talk back and forth as needed.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Just a reminder on the $20.00 entrance fee to Rocky Mountain National Park: If you are over 62 you can stop at your nearest forest service office (or apply on-line but it takes several weeks to get a pass this way) for an "America the Beautiful" The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass. (Senior Pass.) A one-time charge of $20.00 (Pass is lifetime, not annual) and it will get you into national parks and other federal lands free of charge. Some areas, like Maroon Bells in Colorado, have a separate pass system so you do need to check some locations. The pass also gets you some free camping and a discount at some concession stands. All-in-all a good deal for $20.00 and it pays for itself on a single use.

You can also get a pass at the entrance to a national park but it slows up the group so it is recommended you get the pass in advance.

There is an office in Rifle, not far off the interstate, if any of the "California group" would like to buy a pass on the way up to Kremmling. That office is where I bought my pass. (Look for the red dot.)

Address: 94 County Road 244 (AKA Fravert Reservoir Road) Rifle, CO 81650
                        Phone: (970) 625-2371

Link to the pass site is https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
                        Last edited by Jerry; 07-03-2017, 09:24 AM.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• I ordered a Scala Packtalk Duo. It has not arrived yet and there's no one to talk to with it except the second Scala for the passenger. I have no idea if I'll like it but everyone that bought one has liked it if not quite foam-at-the-mouth raved about it.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                            Just a reminder on the $20.00 entrance fee to Rocky Mountain National Park: If you are over 62 you can stop at your nearest forest service office (or apply on-line but it takes several weeks to get a pass this way) for an "America the Beautiful" The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass. (Senior Pass.) A one-time charge of $20.00 (Pass is lifetime, not annual) and it will get you into national parks and other federal lands free of charge. Some areas, like Maroon Bells in Colorado, have a separate pass system so you do need to check some locations. The pass also gets you some free camping and a discount at some concession stands. All-in-all a good deal for $20.00 and it pays for itself on a single use.

You can also get a pass at the entrance to a national park but it slows up the group so it is recommended you get the pass in advance.

There is an office in Rifle, not far off the interstate, if any of the "California group" would like to buy a pass on the way up to Kremmling. That office is where I bought my pass. (Look for the red dot.)

Address: 94 County Road 244 (AKA Fravert Reservoir Road) Rifle, CO 81650
                            Phone: (970) 625-2371

Link to the pass site is https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
                            Even handier yet, the life-long senior pass can be got here locally at either entrance of Colo. Nat'l Monument. The park entrance right near town(1 mile from city limit) here(Grand Junction) sure makes it convenient, and they do it right at either park entrance. Oher entrance/exit is west at Fruita side.
                            Last edited by motoman; 07-03-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Park Pass

I just took some guests up the Colorado Monument and the senior lifetime pass has gone up to $40. Just an FYI.
                              Motoman's Better Half ! & Southwest Rally Den Mother

Comment

• Thanks Jerry, good stuff for the old farts... .

For everyone who doesn't get a pass ahead of time, I spoke with the park officials when I was up there last month. Those folks will simply fall in behind me and I will have collected the money in advance to pay at one time and they will let us come through at once. They still may hand each individual a pass (don't know on that) but one person paying, everybody following is the way they said would work most efficiently. Guys that have a pass ahead of time would then follow IMO.

We'll then gather up the herd and enjoy the ride!
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X