2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Made it to my parents in Idaho, 765 miles. Was a great rally Howard. Tyvm for all your hard work putting this on. Was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new people.
    Great Harry. Glad all is well. Rich just texted me to say he is home also.

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
    Great rally. Howard did a great job putting it together. CZ, thanks for the bourbon. Great people at these events no matter where they are.
    The Beemer rides great. I'm in a cabin in Florissant tonight and going up Piles Peak tomorrow.
    What beautiful country
    Pikes Peak is pretty cool DuWayne. Hopefully there will be little traffic on a weekday. Y'all have fun.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I ALMOST made it to Elko, NV..... I80 is shut down because of a wildfire. They closed it in front of me, Westbound about three miles outside Elko. I'm now sitting in a Super8 in Wells, NV. I had to turn around and ride 30 miles back to find a room, as there is NOTHING between Wells and Elko.
      I did have a GREAT time at the rally! Howard, the rides were great, even if some of the cats escaped. it was great to put a face to some of the handles on the forum, and even better to see some of you I have NOT had a chance to see in the last six years. I don't think the FJ or the C14 would have had a problem with the first gen Vmax, but we get to keep talking about it cause it's more fun that way!
      I'll post some of my photo's after I finally get home, and recover a bit. I just don't have the proper program on this laptop yet.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
        Great rally. Howard did a great job putting it together. CZ, thanks for the bourbon. Great people at these events no matter where they are.
        The Beemer rides great. I'm in a cabin in Florissant tonight and going up Piles Peak tomorrow.
        What beautiful country
        Glad you're enjoying the hood!

For a really nice ride take a trip up to cripple creek on 1 from Florissant and then return via Divide. Great twisty mountain ride.
        79 SF

Comment

• Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          What beautiful country
          Thanks for making the trip and really happy it was worth the trip! You're doing one of the day rides we did for the previous two Colorado Rally's in going up Pikes Peak. Yes, weekday traffic is a whole lot less overall. You've almost done two Colorado rallies in one visit.

That is making the most of your bike rental!

Safe riding and enjoy.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            Brant, I love you man but the Gen 1 Vmax does not make 180 horsepower at the rear wheel. It is the Gen2 Vmax that does that.

My wife's uncle owns a Gen 2 Vmax, and I have ridden it. Magazines have tested the Gen 2 Vmax as well multiple times since it came out in 2009.

The Gen 2 Vmax is the more powerful one by a huge margin of 70-80 ponies and 35 ft/lbs.

Take a look on the internet and read some tests, it is pretty amazing what the Gen 2 Vmax can do.
            Here r some stats I found-

1984-1987 Yamaha VMax
            1198 cc V4
            @ crank, 145 hp@9000rpm
            @ crank, 89.6 #'s torque@7500 rpm
            Wet weight- 604 lbs.
            Standing 1/4 mile- 10.8@125mph

2016 Yamaha VMax
            1671.58 cc V4
            @ crank, 200 hp@9000 rpm
            @ crank, 123.2 #'s torque @ 6500 rpm
            Wet weight- 683 lbs.

So... Gen 2 grew in engine size, power, but weight as well. Interesting!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Yes, whether comparing crankshaft numbers or rear wheel power, or acceleration to any speed, the Gen 2 whoops the Gen 1. IMO, what gets to the rear wheel is what matters, crankshaft numbers are marketing and ego boosters.

Think about the weight difference... 65 more horsepower and 35 foot pounds more torque moving 79 lbs more weight... or more specifically, think about a 65 hp bike with 35 foot pounds of torque that weighs 79 lbs. That sort of additional power versus additional weight helps put the overall difference in perspective. Gen2 Vmax is knocking on the door of being a 9 second 1/4 mile bike!

Yes, this topic has gotten way more legs than could be imagined. However it's good clean conversation, and we just need to get Brant on the same page now.

Some Gen2 info.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/06/14...n-vmax-vs-3max
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• 4 photos

Here are a couple more photos:

Socializing in the campground

J-box cover and pliers courtesy of Captain Zap.

Forest River overlook off Trail Ridge Road
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

• Just parked the bike in the garage at home about a half hour ago. Sitting in the AC sipping a beer. No mosquitoes.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Traffic wasn't too bad, we got there early. It was a great ride. Y'all should have come.

It was great to meet you and Sheridan.

You 2 are one of the greatest reasons I cam to the rally. Looking forward to seeing y'all again.
                    Ditto here too Greg! Hope it was fun and worth the trip for you.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      I know you were expecting that, but are you accepting it?
                      No.....cause that takes the fun out of the debate.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Ditto here too Greg! Hope it was fun and worth the trip for you.
                        That last part was to you and Anita, Brant.

the way it's quoted it looks like I'm saying that to Sebastian and Sheridan.
                        Last edited by BA80; 07-18-2017, 12:18 PM.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          No.....cause that takes the fun out of the debate.

I love the fun too! However, how is there a way to debate a fact?
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            That last part was to you and Anita, Brant.

the way it's quoted it looks like I'm saying that to Sebastian and Sheridan.
                            Got it!.........and your quote had it correct! Again, a huge thanks for you attending!

Comment

• They are going to have to change their sign.
                              By the time we left Kremmling it was both Tapped & Tamed

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                              Here are a couple more photos:

btw: nice pics Jerry.
                              Sebastian claims 'not' be be a photographer but his pics are darn nice too ...............

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• Where did you end up tonight, Jeff?
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X