No announcement yet.

2017 Colorado/Western Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did an mpg check for the rally. Odometer said 688 total for the ZRX from home Friday to home Monday. I have established a 5% error comparing the GPS to the odometer.

Let's say an actual 653 miles. ZRX consumed 11.501 gallons of fuel. 56.77 mpg.

First fill-up (top-off) was in Silverthorne on the way to the Rally (Friday), added some in Hayden mid-way thru Saturday's ride, topped off in Kremmling at end of day 1. Made day 2 and Trail Ridge Road on the same gas fill from end of day 1 then topped it off the next day (Monday) for the ride home.

Do you guys mind sharing what you got on the fuel injected sport -tourers (R1200RT, C14, FJR1300, ST1300, GL 1800 since Jeff runs that like a Sport-tourer!) for mpg at the rally? I know what the XS can get based on the last two rally's, and would love to hear an update from those guys as well.

I have contended that at a higher elevation and even at higher speeds at higher elevations, wind resistance is much less than lower elevation and (and electronic "adjustment" by FI systems and "natural" adjustment by CV carbs for elevation) gas mileage seems to be higher despite some hard running like day 1 from Hayden back to Kremmling.

Harry, interested to see what your gas mileage was for the long-haul out to Idaho. Did you push it pretty hard when you could?

Ty, Sebastian, CZ what was yours for the Rally?

Sheridan, how about the Vmax?

Jerry, the C10?

Cali boys on your XS11's?

Greg, (trailer boy, ha-ha, getting smarter with age) how did you do on your gas mileage overall, including the exploratory run "down to the interstate"? LOL, meow.

Rich, how about your V42.5 Magna (that's 699cc in the era of tariff's in the mid-80's)?

Thanks in advance!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

• Wasn't really paying attention during the rally. When I did the scouting trip I did limp back to town on reserve.

I was riding into the wind headed home this morning from Salina and running at 80mph only getting 20 - 22 mpg.

MEOW
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• I've got my gas receipts with mileage, so I will let you know.

The GL1800 does well even at high speed unless it's bucking a headwind. I know for sure Hot Springs Shell fill-up Sunday am, then run Up & Back in the park, then Kremmling then Walden was 50 mpg. I was running 75 mph to Walden and there was no wind.

You see that thing really does like curves. The tighter the better.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

• I didn't keep track while at the rally. I did get 41 mph on the way home.
          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

• Home! Home again! I like to be here when I can!

Thank you, Howard! That was a good rally and I had a blast!

I got home at 8:45 PM and I'm baked, Roo should be back to his place in Solvang pretty soon too. After soccer Mike left us at 138 and the 15 for Sun Diego, we rode to the 5 and split up for home.

The tent and air mattress made it too and I'll post some rally pictures tomorrow, I hope, but it's good to be home!
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• I was getting about 42MPG for the trip. I DID only get about 30MPG on the "quick" sprint from the fire scene to a hotel, but that was between 110 and 120 for 50 miles... As I don't keep track, that's about as close as I can get. I do know Harry's FJR was doing about 3MPG better than the C14 on the ride out Monday morning.
              Scott, I know what you mean about getting home!!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• Great to hear you guys are all making it back home safely! Cool!

Bonz, if you got mid-50's for mileage, that's incredible! Wow!
                Sounds like you got it in pretty good tune and all your hard work is paying off!

Ray, like most bikes, the C14 can produce average mpg's around 50. I've done it several times on mine, loaded. Trick is to put it on cruise at about 65 mph.
                Once you hit the triple digits, fuel economy vanishes... but who cares, right?
                The C14's power is addictive! (Ask Cody... Lol...)
                I haven't had a chance to ride mine very much since I had it flashed, but most are saying they've seen an increase in fuel economy that had it done. I'll sure be glad when I can actually get to test that for myself...

Scott, great to see your Maxim made the trip! Well done, sir! I know how stressful that had to have been on you getting it going again at the last minute.
                Wished I could have rode with ya. Maybe next year...

Thanks for posting pics guys! It's good to get to see all of you!

Greg,
                Glad you made it home safe. I guess nobody's bike had issues this time?

Bonz, I'm hoping you decide to have it there again next year! I've been wanting to get back to Estes Park, TRR, and ride the Continental Divide again for many years. Sounds like I really missed out on some great riding.

Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

• Of no real comparison, but the Highlader got us 23-24mpg.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• No More Curse!

Riding the storm out!

Whilst considering getting a room in Beaver, Utah, to wait out the storm for the night, the sky over the pass suddenly cleared and a double rainbow appeared right in front of Roo!

The end of the rainbow shining down on the road we didn't need to take to the Butch Cassidy Inn.

Yes, we hauled buns and made it to Mesquite by about 10:30 PM with NO more rain, just rain leftovers everywhere.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• COol Rally and no more Beaver Utah Black Spell

Cool rally at Colorado
                      1. Bonz the leader rocks
                      2. Best Rally shirts in the world
                      3. Great Guys all around, and the best Gal, Motowoman-Anita
                      4. Anita's cookies were devoured by Mad Hungry Bikers
                      5. Zero issues with near 20 Bikes, most Xs1100's to the rally and home
                      6. XS1100's rock
                      7. Xj1100's rock
                      8. XS,Xj1100's are cool and built like Superman
                      9. For those of you who made the rally, thanks for the memories, for those who didnt, please make it to the Rally that Bonz, Jerry, Jerry,Motoman... built, next time around.
                      10. Made it safe and sound around 7pm last night, after passing Beaver Utah, and the curse was lifted with Rainbows, as Scott, Roo and Me laughed our Azzzs off going by as fast as we could so the Beaver Witch couldnt catch us.......
                      Mike in SUn Diego
                      mike
                      1982 xj1100 maxim
                      1981 venture bagger
                      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                      1959 wife

Comment

• Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        Riding the storm out!

Whilst considering getting a room in Beaver, Utah, to wait out the storm for the night, the sky over the pass suddenly cleared and a double rainbow appeared right in front of Roo!

The end of the rainbow shining down on the road we didn't need to take to the Butch Cassidy Inn.

Yes, we hauled buns and made it to Mesquite by about 10:30 PM with NO more rain, just rain leftovers everywhere.
                        Well, least Beaver, Utah was just growling at you this time.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Well, least Beaver, Utah was just growling at you this time.
                          When we were going up the 15 in St. George on the way to Kremmling, I was sick of the heat and I thought, "Lord, I can't take much more of this heat!" It clouded over and rained off and on all the way to Green River.

On the way back home I was thinking, "Lord, I can't take much more of this rain!" It cleared up with a double rainbow.

You have to be very careful when you pray in Utah!
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

• I got 53 mpg on the trip through Colorado and Utah. Once passed ogden the speed limit increased to 80 so I was averaging 90. Hit a stiff headwind in southern Idaho, still got at worst 42. I can't complain
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                              I got 53 mpg on the trip through Colorado and Utah. Once passed ogden the speed limit increased to 80 so I was averaging 90. Hit a stiff headwind in southern Idaho, still got at worst 42. I can't complain
                              It's that new battery! :-D
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

• Originally posted by skids View Post
                                It's that new battery! :-D
                                It likes da Lithium!
                                -- Scott
                                _____

Comment

Working...
                                X