Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Phase
    replied
    Nice! Thanks, Joe, this is going to be so cool!

Howard, Joe and I talked earlier about buying riding gear when I get to Denver. Yes, I have perfectly good boots, leathers and a helmet but it will take up a lot of space in my checked bag that needs to hold enough stuff for a week. To save space when I flew to Canada one Christmas a few years ago I didn't pack any cold-weather clothing at all. The Canadians are used to cold weather and there is plenty of cold-weather clothing in every store on every corner so I bought some mighty fine cold weather gear after I got to town. I wore it while I was up there, then shipped it home for less than the cost of an extra or oversize checked bag on the flight each way.

So I looked at the TSA regs and I believe that I can wear my riding gear on the flight but I also believe that it would not be a particularly bright idea to do so. It would scare the carp out of the TSA and my fellow passengers and I'm not up for getting 'probed at every step of the trip out and back just to save money on luggage.

Greg, we can always look around and see if we can find a couple of girl scouts to rub together to keep the bears and wolves away!

Leave a comment:

• BA80
    replied
    No fire? What are we gonna do, walk around and bump into each other until the wolves and bears come to eat us?

Leave a comment:

• rdmcguy
    replied
    Lots of bike stores

Scott are there plenty of shops here ,
    I just celebrated 40 yrs. of doing business with the local Yamaha shop ,
    A bunch of great, skilled and knowledgable guys ...
    Tuners and mechanics not parts exchangers !
    Close to my place and I get 20% discount on parts too..

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    3Phase... Bike stores? You gonna buy a bike, break it in on the rally rides then ride it home?

Joe, we could end up with a fire ban at the campsite where we can't do open flames. No need to haul down wood if that is the case. I will call the campsite on Wednesday and let you know. What bikes are you hauling down? One of the Marie's and El Toro?

Leave a comment:

• 3Phase
    replied
    Right on, thanks, Harry, Greg.

I have not yet managed to ride a 'Special with the '750/'850 mod much less a Standard with the 16" conversion. I've been wanting to try it on my bike just to see/feel the difference but mostly for the better selection of tires. I heard somewhere that you can even get whitewalls in an emergency.

Joe, thanks for the weather update -- what bike stores are in town?

Leave a comment:

• Bigfoot
    replied
    Yup, Thanks to Greg, I was finally able to fix my brake light. I had replaced the wiring in the harness, but when it shorted out, it fried both switches. Greg was kind enough to bring replacement parts up to my place for me, along with the proper spacers to mount the 16" rear wheel.

I have short legs and with this king/queen seat as wide as it is, I have always been on my tip toes on this bike. The shape of the seat has alot to do with it. Have had a set of wheels off of a midnight sitting around and ended up with a new 16" Shinko, so figured now would be a good time to do it. Went for a ride out to breakfast with Greg this morning and didn't notice a huge difference in the RPM's at highway speeds. A few hundred RPM at most. If it bothers me, i might eventually do the final drive swap. The good news is, with boots on, I should be just about flat footed on the bike.

Many thanks to Greg for the parts, help, and the company. Looking forward to the upcoming trip.

Leave a comment:

• rdmcguy
    replied
    A heat wave

Howdy Yall,
    I was just checking the forecast for the rally,
    High Fri 96 Sat. 100 Sun 101 Thankfully very low humidity (less than 20%)and as we climb in elevation it will be as little cooler , No rain in the forecast but ya never can be sure here at elevation .
    4 days and change till the big event !
    Safe travels to all and I look forward to riding with and meeting up with ya .

Leave a comment:

• BA80
    replied
    Doesn't change the handling at all. Lowers seat height about an inch, gear ratio slightly, and gives you a vastly wider selection of rear tires.

Leave a comment:

• 3Phase
    replied
    Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    ... Harry working on his F. Putting a 16" rear wheel on.

That conversion may be one of the mods I try for my '80G, I have the parts for it. I've seen a bunch of threads about the mechanics of it but how does the bike handle afterward, like a Special?

Leave a comment:

• BA80
    replied
    Just got back from Kansas City helping Bigfoot get his bike ready for the trip.

JWHughes3 will be stopping here for the night on his way up to Colorado.

On Bigfoot's deck Saturday evening. Harry grilling some chicken and RussXS79, well, being Russ. Cutting the cheese

Harry working on his F. Putting a 16" rear wheel on.

harry pulling the tank off so we can fix the brake light wiring that fried at The Lost Rally last August.

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    Hi, sorry I didn't catch that. I'm visiting my folks back East for a few days and accessing stuff off my phone. I didn't see it. Thanks for sending that my way!

Leave a comment:

• CatatonicBug
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    Hey, which one of you guys is or may know Marshall Ringler? Just received a PayPal for the campground but no screen name. Maybe a friend of Mike's in California?
    That's me! I put my screen name in the message.

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    Marshall Ringler

Hey, which one of you guys is or may know Marshall Ringler? Just received a PayPal for the campground but no screen name. Maybe a friend of Mike's in California?

Leave a comment:

• XJOK2PLAY
    replied
    Originally posted by motoman View Post
    .....very doubtful John as that would be an additional couple hundred miles west of CanonCity. Fairly sure Bob is meetin' up with Bojn in Salina, Kansas, then enclosed trailer with Bojn's bike and they're caging it to Canon city.
    Yes, what he said.
    Planning on leaving home at 6 am Thursday, takes 4 1/2-5 hrs. to get to Salina, meet Bohn at a truck stop, load bike, eat/fuel and head west.
    We'll be in Canyon City by suppertime if all goes well.
    We'll be at the Colorado Inn, in town.

Since Brant and Anita are planning on driving over to the campgrounds, I'll see them there.

Greg and I talked about riding together to Wichita, but if he leaves with me that early, he'd surely be drunk by the time Ivan gets home around 4! Lol...

So, even though I offered to fix breakfast for him, he told me he'd probably pass on my offer.
    I think he's meeting Harry at Ivan's on Thursday, they'll stay the night there, then head for Colorado on Friday.

Bohn's got other plans and will be headed to his daughter's in Denver on Monday morning. Linda's flying in, and they plan to stay with Jennifer for a few days. So, I'll be riding back. I'll be in no hurry to get home, (as far as I know right now...) and Greg mentioned maybe riding the Million Dollar Highway again, which sounds good to me, if you wanna join us?

Glad I'll get to see and ride with ya again! Looking forward to seeing so many familiar faces again. This rally oughtta be a hoot!
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    Bob you going to Brant's first? Or straight in from OK?

I don't know yet when I am leaving - finishing up getting bike ready this week - might leave on weekend and wander up to bother my okie buddies then scoot across to Colorado and visit Denver before GJ. Its nice not having a plan - I don't feel tied down.

John
    .....very doubtful John as that would be an additional couple hundred miles west of CanonCity. Fairly sure Bob is meetin' up with Bojn in Salina, Kansas, then enclosed trailer with Bojn's bike and they're caging it to Canon city.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X