Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonz
    replied
    3Phase made a comment to me at the last Colorado rally in 2014... Went something like this... "When the 1980 rubber blows out in 2014..."

Apparently he had a stock brake line let go under braking with no apparent reason other than the hose blew at a crimp junction if I remember correctly.

With all that said, the lever/brakes have good feel and power in normal braking with the stock lines. I have really laid into the front brake lever practicing emergency stops and the lever ends up at the bar with me naturally wanting more lever. With the brakes being bled like they are and a firm lever, I can only believe it is old lines expanding under the pressure.

Correct me on if I am wrong on the old lines expanding, but in any case new stainless lines will be a great addition.

Leave a comment:

• BA80
    replied
    Still using stock lines. Never have had an issue.......knock on wood.

Still planning on making the trip up but with the economy the way it is, no promises.

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    Got a set a of stainless front brake lines coming for the SG. Stock lines have served it well for 36 years!

Leave a comment:

• Chuckster
    replied
    Thanks RDMCGuy. I will get on Googlemaps and check out route 6. Should be fun laying out a route!

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• rdmcguy
    replied
    A possible route from the midwest

Hey Chuckster ,
    I am from Chicagoland myself and was surprised to find that U.S. 6 goes from there, all the way to the Denver metro area. I have travelled bits and pieces of it at different points in time , in many places it paralells the interstate hwy. It might be worth looking into as a possible route to get here ...Look forward to seeing you here for the rally ...Safe travels to you

Leave a comment:

• Chuckster
    replied
    Thanks Motoman. I was thinking of avoiding the interstate for at least one way, probably the ride to Colorado. Not sure of the best route.

Leave a comment:

• motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
    I have always wanted to attend a rally and have always put it off to "next year". I'm thinking it's time and Colorado sounds like a great time. Although I don't post very often I've been a lurker here for awhile.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! I may post later for some route advice, I'll be coming from the Chicago area.

Chuck
    Well, having been to Chicago a few times, easiest and shortest way is to hit I-55 south to St.Louis then I-70 to Denver, then I-25 south towards Colo. Springs. Then west on Colo. 50 to Canon City. As far as straight-thru in a cage, makes for about a 17hr. drive.
    Last edited by motoman; 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuckster
    replied
    Bonz,

That would be great, I plan on avoiding the interstate, so any advice would be welcome.

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    Good deal! Great to have more folks from different areas! Happy to offer up some route advice. I have an uncle that rides from Chicago to Colorado and has a favorite route taking back roads that parallel the interstate for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Chuckster
    replied
    Count me in

I have always wanted to attend a rally and have always put it off to "next year". I'm thinking it's time and Colorado sounds like a great time. Although I don't post very often I've been a lurker here for awhile.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! I may post later for some route advice, I'll be coming from the Chicago area.

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    No new attendees at this point that haven't already posted up here and are on the list that I am aware of.

Will keep you updated if I get anything that doesn't get posted here.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonz
    There is no way to edit/add names to the list on the link, not part of the way it was set up unless I missed something?
    The page is set up as read-only. If you would send me the updates I will get them on the page.

Leave a comment:

• Bonz
    replied
    Good to hear Joe! How about that idea to ride the XS650? I liked that alot if the bike is in good rally condition.

I have put a lot of work into my ZRX1200 and am half tempted to ride that this year. ZZR1200 carbs, ZZR1200 cams, Rifle superbike fairing, custom valved and sprung re-worked stock shocks, Sonic Springs up front, individual stick coils from a ZX14 on each plug, ZX11D ECU and double valve springs (raises redline 1,000 rpm to 11,500 rpm and alters timing curve for the better), It's more ZZR1200 engine-wise (damn quick/fast sport tourer, predecessor to XJOK2PLAY's C14 he's riding) than ZRX anymore, but boy is it fun and handles so fine. Last step in the motor work is to throw in a set of ZZR1200 pistons to bump compression a bit to really wake the ZZR1200 cams up.

Yeah, tempted to ride that... Unless you guys can beg me to bring a really decent looking SG to the party.

Ok, back to the thread... Here is the Rally link again, keeping it on a current page is a good idea.

http://www.appleattic.net/Co_2016/

There is no way to edit/add names to the list on the link, not part of the way it was set up unless I missed something?

Leave a comment:

• rdmcguy
    replied
    Count me in

Howdy ,
    Sorry I haven't confirmed for the rally I've been extra busy of late .
    I am trying to decide which bikes to bring, I need to do some maintenance on them , like checking to see if muffler bolts are tight as to not lose it at this years rally , ....RIGHT XJOKTOPLAY? lol,Howard let me know if I need to send $ for campsite .

Leave a comment:

• motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonz View Post
    How are we doing on guys knowing if they can make the Colorado Rally this summer?

-July 15-18, Canon City, Colorado.
    -Group campsite at Echo Canyon Campground by the Royal Gorge on Hwy 50.
    -Hotels/Motels available in Canon City.

XJOK2PLAY, what hotel are you and Bohn staying at, do you mind sharing and other guys might check there to get their rooms?

I made a list awhile back, how about everyone that is coming respond to the thread and it'll be an updated/refreshed list.

Winter, literally, left Colorado 2 weeks ago and riding season is in full swing! Man, it's pretty with everything greening up.
    Throw in the link for that Howard...........would make it a lot easier for those checking, and to add if needed be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X