XS Southeast 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BA80
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent
    There was some stiff competition, but in the end, a first aid kit was more urgently needed than a clutch cable.

    Bwahahahahaha...(ouch)... got one of those also.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brent
    replied
    majic hat award

    Originally posted by BA80
    Thanks Brent, and thanks to all the well wishers out there.

    And when I feel better I'll tell the rest of the story.

    If there was anyone who had anything to with this rally deserves an award
    it's JWHughes. Didn't even attend the rally but drove 2000 miles to help a brother.

    Speaking of awards, I found one of those famous hand made Brent awards in my backpack. A cloth with a hand drawn pic of a top hat and the words "Magic Hat" on it. Not sure exactly what that is but apparently all you need to do is make a dumb mistake. Should be able to win that one every year.
    Hi Greg,
    Contrair. The majic hat award is a high honor, given to one whose saddle bag is like a majic hat. Whenever something is needed just reach into it and pull out whatever is needed. Adam relayed info at the awards meeting that the first aid kit used was in fact from your saddlebag. No garauntee that you will win the vote again. There was some stiff competition, but in the end, a first aid kit was more urgently needed than a clutch cable.

    congradulations. The winner is also given his or her choice of remaining gifts, choosing from a wide aray of tools, meters, flashlights etc. Acting as your representive, Harry selected the only roll of duct tape (full roll, brand new.) Again, congradulations. For any who missed the Sat night meeting, Many were recognized for their bikes, riding, traveling far,... Much fun. Being present seems to improve your chance of winning, lets you vote on winners and of course cheer or applaud. Hope to see you there next year.

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    Hey everyone! Just sitting here at home sweet home hugging a pillow in my recliner (which BTW has been doubling for my bed because I can't lay down), My laptop, pain pills, cell, and TV remote.

    Been out looking at ol' okie and he'll be fine. Fairing and bags are busted not sure about the forks yet, and engine guards bent. Other than that not a scratch. I think I'm jealous.

    Thanks to all that helped, most especially Jeff and John. Sorry buddy for making an already long trip into an even longer one. And sorry to everyone for casting a dark shadow on the rally. I'll try and do it right next time.

    Y'all are great.

    Leave a comment:


  • XJOK2PLAY
    replied
    Tod,
    Ya shoulda been a photojournalist, man!
    You missed your calling.

    Nobody can put together a ride report like you can!

    Glad to see your EMT training paid off....
    I know Greg was grateful for that...

    But at least you snapped some good pics.
    Lol

    That's what counts....

    Leave a comment:


  • XJOK2PLAY
    replied
    Dangit, Greg!
    I swear, buddy... Can't let you ride anywhere without me!

    I had not heard of your "wild off-road adventure" until Cody called me yesterday and told me the bad news.

    I thought you knew an 11 sucks off pavement?

    If yer gonna do that kinda touring, you need to get a GS.....

    Seriously, though... Glad to hear you survived the spill, bro!

    Looks like your 11 fared WAAAY better than you did...

    The guys we ride with are an awesome group, huh?
    Thanks to those that helped you out.
    Sorry I missed out on all the action this trip.
    Had too much fun going around here with my Mom this time to go.
    I was planning on making this one, but she had better plans for me...

    Listen, I hope you heal fast, glad you're alive... And if there's anything I can do to help ya, don't hesitate to call.

    Gees... Just look what happens if I don't go....

    Take it easy, bud.
    Bob

    Leave a comment:


  • cruiser
    replied
    Great to hear your back home Greg. Heal well and we will ride again.
    JW, your the man! Thanks for all you did to get him home and all the others too!

    Leave a comment:


  • STEPPENWOLF
    replied
    Originally posted by jetmechmarty
    So, I believe that just leaves Scott still out on the road.
    Scott had dinner with DGXER and my self on the Ohio River watching the barges and pleasure boats go by on friday night

    Leave a comment:


  • MaximPhil
    replied
    Thank You John. I look forward to seeing you at next years rally.
    Maxim Phil

    Leave a comment:


  • madmax-im
    replied
    Thanks for your pics and report Tod...I was just amazed to see the Bob Jones Street Sleeper at this rally...now if that ain't an indication of how big this rally has become...then I don't know what else would be...like Earl said...it keeps getting better...
    John...I look forward to shaking your hand and seeing you next year...

    Leave a comment:


  • jetmechmarty
    replied
    So, I believe that just leaves Scott still out on the road.

    Leave a comment:


  • jwhughes3
    replied
    Mr Toad's Wild Ride

    Recovering at home from Mr Toad's Wild Ride.....

    2,905 miles was a nice break in trip for my Jeep Patriot (not Liberty). Its the small one as Greg discovered but got twice the mpg my Chevy 2500HD gets.



    Had a hitch installed at U-Haul Tuesday afternoon after flying home from my work trip. Hooked up my 2 bike trailer and discovered I had taillights, turn signals but no brake lights. U-Haul did not have anyone available Wednesday morning for me to get it checked so my son Ryan and I left anyway midday.

    Stopped for the night in Little Rock intending to meet Jeff and Greg in Tennessee Thursday since there was no release Wednesday.

    Got word from Jeff Thursday morning Greg was still full of poop and not being released that day. We made a plan to meet in Murfeesboro to hand off the bike and gear. We met about 1800 and got the bike swapped over and filled the small cargo compartment of the Jeep with Greg's gear. There was more stuff than Paris Hilton takes to The Hamptons for the Summer.

    Jeff lamented the fact he had driven about 1000 miles but never was more than a couple hundred from home the entire time! Just circling! He had driven to the Cashiers Fire Dept to get Greg's bike and Asheville to get Greg's gear and was ready to head home.





    Said our goodbyes to Jeff and hit the road, intending to drive straight to Tulsa and drop the stuff then boogie toward home to be there Friday and have a full weekend with my wife whom I have been away from most of the summer.

    We made it 30 miles. Greg called in the course of conversation about his options for getting home upon discharge (we checked Amtrak, Greyhound etc) since he was not able to fly, he realized all his money and license, credit card etc was in the gear we had. he was expecting to maybe get discharged on Friday the following day. It was too late to send a FedEx overnight, especially since we were in the middle of nowhere Tennessee. If it arrived Saturday after his discharge, there was a chance it might not get to him and where would he stay with nothing available? We turned around and headed toward Asheville, NC.

    Stopped for the night in Knoxville and made Asheville about 1130 Friday. Greg made a poopie overnight and his doctor wrote him up for discharge even though he was obviously still full of it (I never get tired of this theme) . We left about 1300 and headed for Wally World to get drugs. And slippers since Greg's swollen feet did not fit his shoes. And sweatpants since his swollen waist and thighs no longer fit in his jeans.

    Greg was supposed to eat healthy (no cheeseburgers), drink water and walk every 2 hours. We tried. He did not want to eat. Drank a little bit of water and made him walk at every gas stop every 250 miles as we drove straight through to Tulsa. My son Ryan was invaluable as I am apparently no longer as much a long distance driver as I used to be.

    I-40 was DeJa Vu to last year's total stoppage coming home from the Rally as an accident has us completely stopped and blocked for about an hour. We were walking around commiserating with other drivers for awhile. Greg seemed actually glad to not be moving since every highway bump was painful. He did not talk to other drivers, probably satisfied with the narcotic induced conversations he was having in the back seat with himself.

    Made Greg's house about 0530 Saturday and unloaded in the rain. Booked a room at a Tulsa Marriott and surprised a night clerk checking in at 0620! Slept till 1130 and checking out the day shift lady did not charge us anything. No points, no cash and offered to get us breakfast from the back. Nice.

    Stopped in Ada for lunch at the Rib place but Tod was avoiding us

    Got home to San Antonio Saturday about 2130. Next year I am going on a motorcycle!


    John

    Leave a comment:


  • trbig
    replied
    John has been flying all over the world so much here lately, he just wanted to remember and see what was in his own back yard for a bit..


    Sorry I missed John on his way through here. Greg, glad you're back home. Sorry we couldn't do more for you at the time.

    I didn't take many pics at all, but here's a few.


    I headed out at early before daylight on my way east and was glad to see the sun coming up finally.









    Then wondered why I was so happy about it. This sucked for a couple hours.









    Greg in happier times before we leave Saturday morning. Can't you just see that happiness and excitement?









    Getting ready to ride.









    I'd always wondered what happened to the Bob Jones Street Sleeper bike. Glad it's being taken care of.









    Random shots as we ride.














    Things were going WAY too smoothly, so Greg had to throw a kink in things. I've had several years of medical training.. so of course I stood around taking pics. lol.
























    As most already know, he rode the bike a few miles, but ended up needing an ambulance, then Medi-Flight. Here comes his limo...



















    The rest of the day for Harry, Scott, and I consisted of riding up to see Greg at the hospital. The next day. Harry, Bohn, and I got some things of Greg's and went back to the hospital again for a bit, then took a ride. We went on I-40, which has GREAT sweepers for an interstate before Knoxville. We exited the interstate and rode some smaller scenic roads and eventually came through Gattlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I've seen these Alpine coasters on Youtube, and when I was riding by, we did a u-turn and went back. Might as well have a little fun. They say you control the cars and you have brake handles, but it will automatically slow you down if you get going too fast. I never hit the brakes once.



















    Here's a couple videos I took. Sorry.. just from a little point and click camera, so definitely no HD.. lol. Here's some of the trip up... It's actually a pretty long ride to the top. Nice and quiet through the woods.




    A private space for your group's photos and videos. Share, react, and relive moments together. Available on iOS, Android, and desktop. Free for new sign-ups.





    And the ride down...




    A private space for your group's photos and videos. Share, react, and relive moments together. Available on iOS, Android, and desktop. Free for new sign-ups.





    Later that day, apparently Adam wrecked also. Not quite sure of why all of this, but it's apparent that maybe the best decisions are not always made where he's concerned. This XJ was a really sharp bike. That's all I'll say about that since his dad seemed to be a very nice guy.



















    I did have a good time though and I hope to be back next year, possibly with at least one son.

    Leave a comment:


  • natemoen
    replied
    Originally posted by BA80
    FINALLY!!

    JWHughes, his son Ryan, and I got to Tulsa around 6AM.

    If your planning on buying a Jeep Liberty for it's spacious back seat, think again!
    Glad you finally made it home, healing goes so much better when you are finally out of the hospital!

    John, props to you for what you did!

    Leave a comment:


  • BA80
    replied
    Originally posted by Brent
    Glad to hear you made it home, Greg. JWHughes - My hat is off to you and Ryan. Thanks for doing the western transportation. Thanks too to Jeff getting bike etc. Great to see such help for an XSive who is down.

    I have been home for a while too. Is that everyone now home OK?
    Thanks Brent, and thanks to all the well wishers out there.

    And when I feel better I'll tell the rest of the story.

    If there was anyone who had anything to with this rally deserves an award
    it's JWHughes. Didn't even attend the rally but drove 2000 miles to help a brother.

    Speaking of awards, I found one of those famous hand made Brent awards in my backpack. A cloth with a hand drawn pic of a top hat and the words "Magic Hat" on it. Not sure exactly what that is but apparently all you need to do is make a dumb mistake. Should be able to win that one every year.

    Leave a comment:


  • MaximPhil
    replied
    I too would like to add my Thanks to those who assisted in so many ways.
    Good to know you are home Greg. Heal and get well soon.
    Phil

    Leave a comment:

Working...