No announcement yet.

XSive Rider's @ Iron Horse 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm riding down with my neighbor, Burr. We intend to depart DC Thu around7:00PM and overnight in Lexington. Think that'll leave about 400 miles to IH on Fri. We'll probably roll in around dinnertime.

Finally get to see Brent and his mythical white XS.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Comment

• He said "mythical".

Hehe.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

• Originally posted by trbig View Post
        So let me get this straight. We'll be getting there Friday afternoon, and leaving Monday morning, so is everyone eating there Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday night and Sunday morning? Am I correct that most wanted to go find a different location for Sunday evening? Also, I guess I'll make an order for Monday morning unless they want to leave out earlier than that. We can discuss that after we get there.

Also, does the IH have a problem with me skipping their iced tea and bringing in a beer or three to wash down dinner with? (Or for Greg to wash down his breakfast..) lol.
        Breakfasts you can fill out an order form the night before so it looks like dinner at the IH Fri night and sat night...there is no option at the IH for dinner Sun. so that means we're on our own but I'm kinda sure they will have breakfast...I'm planning to leave Mon a.m....
        And substituting beer is fine but I'm pretty sure we're in a dry county so you'd have to buy beer in Bryson City...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• Does anyone have access to or passing a military base have plans to stop in? If so, I'm needing a pair of (black preferably) blousing straps like we used to use that is an elastic strip that attaches to the bottom of your shirt and the top of your socks. I've misplaced my rain pants and had to buy a new set, but I use those to attach to the bottoms to make a stirrup that goes under my boot to keep my pant legs from flying up. Nobody in town here seems to have them.

Thanks in advance.. but if nobody comes up with any, I'll be OK.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• It's not going to rain.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

• Being prepared helps make that happen...

I haven't washed or polished my bike in months, and I'll have all my rain gear, so we should be set for great weather!

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Does anyone have access to or passing a military base have plans to stop in? If so, I'm needing a pair of (black preferably) blousing straps like we used to use that is an elastic strip that attaches to the bottom of your shirt and the top of your socks. I've misplaced my rain pants and had to buy a new set, but I use those to attach to the bottoms to make a stirrup that goes under my boot to keep my pant legs from flying up. Nobody in town here seems to have them.

Thanks in advance.. but if nobody comes up with any, I'll be OK.
                in a pinch...duct tape...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• I've got some nice orange duct tape with white longhorns for you. If you had thought to text or ask me before leaving home I would have brought you some blousing straps.

The longhorn tape is more stylish though so I may have said I forgot them just to see you wear it.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

• I've got big rubber bands that will work and won't leave a bunch of "sticky residue" all over your pants and make it look like you stayed in a tent with Greg or something..

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

• I do have some burnt orange 3mm bungee cord that can be used and not leave you sticky if need be.

John

Comment

• Thanks, but that will clash with my OU shirt.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

• On Sunday's Ride

For those of you who are going to make the Sunday ride to Deals Gap to "tame" the Tail of the Dragon, be certain to refrain from making a contribution to "The Tree of Shame".

The name says it all. This big ole tree is loaded up with "spare bike parts". These parts came off of peoples bikes that they could not reattach due to being broken, bent, and/or MBR (mangled beyond recognition).

But do be sure to stop and look at it. It is very interesting. Don't forget to get you a couple of the Dragon decals in the store.

MP

1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by newc4 View Post
                            I'm riding down with my neighbor, Burr. We intend to depart DC Thu around7:00PM and overnight in Lexington. Think that'll leave about 400 miles to IH on Fri. We'll probably roll in around dinnertime.

Finally get to see Brent and his mythical white XS.
                            its not mythical...its legendary
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• So it looks like the most direct route for us to come in on Friday takes us down the Tail of the Dragon. Should we come another way? Is this road going to be ride-able on a Friday afternoon, or cluttered with all-show-no-go posers?

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

So it looks like the most direct route for us to come in on Friday takes us down the Tail of the Dragon. Should we come another way? Is this road going to be ride-able on a Friday afternoon, or cluttered with all-show-no-go posers?
                                Yes, that is probably your best bet if you are taking I-40 into Knoxville. Dragon should NOT be an issue.

To avoid goofy traffic in Knoxville or over in Alcoa / Maryville you might want to consider going south on I-75 a few miles down to TN 72 Loudon then taking that South to US411 up to US129. It depends on what time of day you are coming though. I-40 to I-140 may not be too messy, but Alcoa is messy any afternoon.

Only other deal (which is a nice ride) would be US64 out of Memphis. That rolls along most of the way on divided highway. And is scenic, but got to go through a few small towns that adds 5-10 minutes each. That way you would run over to I-24 at Monteagle TN then I-24 to I-75 in Chattanooga and I-75 to Cleveland TN to get on US64. Andrews NC, Robbinsville TN then over to Stecoah. I40 is packed with semi's. US64 is about the same mileage but would add an hour to your day, but no semi's. However Knoxville & Dragon likely a is faster unless you hit a traffic jam. Watch your speed leaving Memphis.

Hope that helps,
                                Jeff
                                Last edited by JeffH; 09-26-2012, 06:26 PM.
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X