Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just pulled into Russ' place around 9 here in KC. 16 hours and about 800 miles for me today.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I got home at 3:00 after leaving Greg along I-35.
      Glad to see he made it to KC.
      Had a great weekend riding the U.P.
      Thanks for hosting Erik.
      Pleased to meet Ian and Jerry.
      Where's the next "lost" rally? Can't wait.
      XJ1100 Ruby Red
      XS1100LH "Midnight"
      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Just got home........rain for the last 150 miles.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Sucks Greg. I assume Todd & Marty made it home safely as-well.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Sucks Greg. I assume Todd & Marty made it home safely as-well.
            You mean Harry? Pretty sure they are still in Wisconsin. Tod posted a pic of him and his aunt and uncle on FB last night.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Sitting here in Crandon, Wisconsin, with Harry, refreshing drinks and aunt cooking us pasties for us. Headed to Bob's for a visit tomorrow in Iowa. No rush to get back to work...

Cooking pasties? Doesn't that burn your nipples?

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Glad you made it back okay Greg. It was great meeting & riding with you.

The road Ian mentioned was H-58 between Munising and Grand Marais. Just the east half of it is awesome, but the rest is scenic & nice too. Ripping through those twisties was nothing short of spectacular. It was the section we hit two years ago with the Superior circle tour folks. We did get a few dirty looks and bright lights in the mirrors when we passed a few Harleys and a Beamer who were content to present us with a couple different rolling roadblocks. The cage drivers were polite though & let us by.

I'll see if I can find enough other good roads nearby to make that a worthy rally destination for another time. That's the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore area, so there are a few other cool things to see around there as well.
                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the pics.....
                  '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Home from the U.P.

I arrived home about 7:30 pm tonight, Tuesday. Great rally. Really good to see, visit with & ride with all attendees. Wonderful roads, weather, scenery, & food - None better than the burgers, brats, & side dishes Thanks Erik!

I began to wonder if I might need my passport to return to the lower 48. (Which saddlebag? Could I find it and cross the Macinaw Bridge?) Should not need it. The UP is part of Michigan, but it sure feels like another country.
                    I left Houghton @ 0800, rode all day, still in Michigan. Then I came to road sign "Bridge to Canada next right". By continuing to ride into the night, I made it to Ohio. Then light rain sprinkles started. I stopped & got a room at Knights Inn in Franklin, Ohio. The second day ride home was shorter, but also had some interesting challenges.

Ride when you can.
                    It is a great big beautiful world out there
                    Brent in GA
                    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      I began to wonder if I might need my passport to return to the lower 48. (Which saddlebag? Could I find it and cross the Macinaw Bridge?)
                      Oh boy! I remember that black hole!
                      I seem to recall a particular night in Vegas...

Never knew a Harley saddlebag could hold SO MUCH stuff!
                      Hahaha!

Glad you made it safe, Brent!
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Here's a few Bob.....

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Pictures... we like Pictures Thanks Greg hopefully some more to share soon.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I kinda like that last one. It's hard to tell where the lake ends and the sky begins.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/ia...lly-2015/story
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Cool pics Ian, I wished I was there...No GoPro vids from the ride?
                                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                                X