Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in Da UP 2015 (Upper Peninsula, Michigan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bob. Yeah, wasn't a big deal being that close to home. Could have been alot worse. And FWIW I have never done a wheelie ... intentionally. lol
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Thanks Bob. Yeah, wasn't a big deal being that close to home. Could have been alot worse. And FWIW I have never done a wheelie ... intentionally. lol
      Haha... I almost saw your nose grow, Bro....

Good recovery, though.

Sorry you had trouble, Harry. That sux.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Ha ha ha ha ha.......you weren't racing. Ian was sitting on the side of the road.
        That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Harry. At least you're home safe & sound.

General: I tried uploading pics yesterday, but it seems that my work computer has stricter settings than before. I can't even see the pics that other people post from this 'puter. All I have at home is a tablet, so I may end up having to email pics to someone else to post up here. I'll try to get that figured out.
          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Hey Erik- Download the photobucket app to your tablet, and upload your pics to there (free). The app makes it super-easy in-providing an image link. Or, share the whole album as I have.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Close.

Took the cover off and the bolt that holds the timing plate on had come loose and its threads were all buggered up. managed to tighten that bolt for the timing plate back up but she still won't start. Not sure what all I damaged.
              Sorry to see breakdown Harry. At least Russ got in on part of the ride, trip (sort of). Good riding with you again. Hope it goes back to running EZ. Let us know.
              It is a great big beautiful world out there
              Brent in GA
              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

So, found the problems with the bike today. When the bolt holding the timing plate backed out, a bunch of shavings from the bolt ended up behind that shaft (forget the proper name for it) causing it to wobble and sheer the contacts off of the pickup coils.

Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

So, found the problems with the bike today. When the bolt holding the timing plate backed out, a bunch of shavings from the bolt ended up behind that shaft (forget the proper name for it) causing it to wobble and sheer the contacts off of the pickup coils.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Pretty sure I saw a sign just like this in Minneapolis on the way home.....

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• OK, some of these may be repeats, but here's a few I took.

Greg and I headed north out of Oklahoma.

We stayed the night at Kansas City and met up with Harry. Russ joined us for breakfast and here we are getting ready to head out afterwards to Arlan's house in Minnesota.

A couple of the signs along the way. No girlie-men allowed here!

And here, Harry kept wanting to stop. I tried explaining it was just two town names, but he thought it was some twisted roadside zoo attraction. He pouted for at least 100 miles when we rode on by.

We finally made it to Arlan's house. We ate his food, drank his beer, and flirted with his wife. Next morning, we went to breakfast. Arlan's XJ is in really good shape. Nice and polished. Here he is looking at mine and pointing things out, "Yup, mine looks better than that. And that. And that..."

Over this bridge and the mighty Mississippi. One side Minnesota, the other side Wisconsin. I also see that if you hold the camera at just a bit of an angle, you can make it look like the bridge is collapsing. lol.

A few shots along the way.

I saw this and realized that I couldn't remember the last one I actually saw... Superman is running out of options.

This is obviously a closet Dallas Cowboys fan.

Sometimes, without your knowledge, you'll push the button on your digital camera and THINK you took a picture. Nope.. it was waiting for you to put it back down so it could secretly take a picture when it was good and ready to (And not just because some silly human told it to) and show you just how rusty your mirror nuts have become!

To be continued...
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• We made a stop at the Leinenkugal brewery and did a tour.

Even got to do the tour with Carmen Diaz! lol

$5 gets you the tour, 5 samples, and a small souvenir glass to take home. If you're Greg, you don't need no stinkin' souvenir glasses and you throw them on the ground next to your bike like a boss! Or at least act like you meant to do that when it slides off your bike seat.

Back on the road. Harry and Greg bringing up the rear.

We stopped for the night in Mercer Wisconsin. Apparently the Loon capital of the world? We stayed a couple miles out of town at a place called Eunica's Beaver Lodge. A nice place. It would be a good place for a rally gathering. Quiet, a small bar and restaurant she runs on site, and she's not a bad looking gal either. But, be warned.. there are several logs out front with big chew marks on them. If Eunica's beaver did this to a big piece of wood, you'd better steer clear of that thing. That looks like one mean beaver!

Anyway, the porch out off of the bar.

And from the porch of our room at sunset.

Next morning, we headed out into town and ate breakfast, then hit the road. Arlan took us on some scenic route... can't remember exactly. County Road M turns into N, then K, or don't take K.. Something. lol. Oh, and if you turn around and go down Lake Road. Apparently, around here, that doesn't mean there's a lake on that road? lol.

Harry and Greg.

Arlan out front.

We were just eating up the miles that morning, so we stopped for a little refreshment break off the beaten path a bit. It was noon, and we'd ripped off a little over 40 whole miles already! Time for a beer! lmao.

Back on the road.. We don't see these signs down south much.

Just in to Michigan.

To be continued...

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

• And our first view of Lake Superior. It was a pretty warm day and the breeze coming off the lake was like air conditioning. It was awesome!

Up to Porcupine Mountains State Park for a view of the Lake of the Clouds.

Greg, deep in thought, contemplating life, the universe, sequencing the DNA of the three-toed-sloth in his head, all the while, creeping into his mind, "How many more miles until freakin' beer:30?"

Back on the road to Houghton, Michigan.

60 miles to go and headed towards storm clouds... Luckily, we had clear weather all the way.

We pulled into the hotel safely. Erik cooked up some awesome brats and burgers. A good visit until the mosquitos claimed the area after nightfall.
                          Next morning, Erik lead us north out of Houghton across the bridge. Looks like this bridge leans a little to the opposite side that the Minnesota bridge does. lol

I don't think I'd want a martini from here.. Just sayin'. lol.

Out on the road. Ian, 3rd bike, with his F-18 aircraft landing lights burning out peoples' retinas.

We made a stop by the old Calumet brewery ruins. Ian risked life and limb for a shot of all the bikes. Loose rocks and bricks changed his mind. I had the camera ready to catch it all.. the fall.. the carnage. Then Ian let us all down, thinking of nothing but himself. So selfish.. I was already contemplating how I was going to get his square headlight mounted into my round-headlighted fairing. lol.

Along the road to Gay, Michigan, following the coast for much of it.

As we rolled into town.. Always good for a childish giggle.

Last time we were up here, Just Harry and I went to the Gay bar alone. I think the Gay bar is a place you should bring all your friends! I think we nearly doubled the towns population.

After some refreshments, we left out for some more riding.

To be continued...

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

• We stopped at an overlook. Look at all these frikkin tourists.. I think they pushed 3 Japanese people over the edge trying to get a shot.

Then, I believe, up Brockway Mountain.

We stopped for dinner in the town of Calumet.

When we got back into town, a few of us went to the Keweena Brewery for a few of their delicious selections. Arlan thought he could get a free beer if he helped bus tables.

Earlier that day, we'd stopped at Eagle River Falls @ 30 miles from town. While we were there, two little boys hollered and waved to us. They were in a church playground with their dad. I couldn't believe how white their hair was and actually took a picture of them there. Later that night at the brewery, a couple and their two twin boys sat next to us on the patio and the boys had extremely white hair. Ended up being the same people from earlier. The kids LOVED motorcycles and had little motorcycle toys. As they were leaving, I told them the boys were welcome to sit on one of our bikes if they wanted.

The boy in the back was a little more reserved. The one in front was twisting the throttle, jerking the bars around, making motorcycle noises. I told the their mom that I really needed to start it up for them, and she said, "Yeah, no... no we don't need to do that." lol.

The bridge at sunset.

Sunday morning, we went for a short ride around the area, but I forgot my camera at the room. Several people peeled off @ noon and a few of us went back to the hotel. Next morning, Harry and I headed south a bit to Wisconsin to see my aunt and uncle. We met this guy on the way with his trailer queen Concou... oops. Ummm.. Hey! Hi, Jerry!? lol.

We made one more stop the next day at Bob's place in Iowa, then headed for home Wednesday morning. @ 720-ish miles for me. This was @ 20 miles from the house. Great ending to a great ride. Hope to see you all again soon!

Oh.. and P.S. I don't know why, but I didn't take much video on this trip. this is nothing special, just a nice ride in the area following Erik.

http://youtu.be/qKLnr7lqur4

Cheers!
                            Last edited by trbig; 08-23-2015, 12:22 PM.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

• Thanks Tod,
                              Great pictures and write up. I would have enjoyed the rally. Especially as I know most of the participants from previous events.
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• You should have come Phil. It was an easy pace except when Harry and Ian.....uhhmm....uhhmm....compared speedometer readings.

Great ride but about the third time I slid through some gravel/sand hard in a corner it sorta threw a caution flag in my mind. It wasn't bad though.

A great time! Thanks Eric.

Good to see old friends and meet some new ones.

I've got some pics I'll eventually get posted but as usual, Tod's write ups are a tough act to follow.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X